Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Longtime Honda Shadow Forums member, first time Victory poster. Thanks for the upcoming welcomes.

I just brought home my first Victory MC, a 1999 V92C early production bike. Here it is, sharing space with my primary bike, a '99 Valk Interstate.

Bear in mind, it's running on some putrid gas in this video. She smells really funky.

Like my first Shadow, it's blue, it's loud, and it's simple. But that's not REALLY why I bought it.

The rest of the story....My older sister lives in Germany, has for many years. She has a boyfriend, Lou, who *REALLY* wants to ride to Sturgis next year (2017). This has been one of his "bucket-list" items for many years. We looked into shipping one of his bikes to the states, that just seems stupid-expensive and time consuming! We looked into renting a motorcycle from Sioux Falls, SD for Sturgis week, that seems really expensive for what it is (prices racked up during Sturgis week). So we took the cost of renting and bought this V92.

Keep in mind, I'm (we're) in a unique position. My family is from Eastern SD and momma-W still lives there, about 300 miles east of Sturgis. She has plenty of space for us to land on the way through. My former boss, who owns a cabin just outside Rapid City, is coming with us. I have other friends joining us from Sioux Falls and Brookings, SD. We are all professionals and, other than Lou from Germany, have all been to Sturgis before.

I rode my Shadow 750 to Sturgis 2014. Summer of 2015, I was buying a house in St. Paul. Summer of 2016, I started law school and spent Sturgis week in orientation. I have barely gotten to ride that big, black Valk in the background since I bought it 2 years ago. 2017 promises to be different.

Now, the V92 is new to me, and the plates are expired, so I know VERY little about this particular bike. I know the previous owner was a Victory dealer, kept for his personal bike, and it's one of the cleanest used bikes I have ever seen. It has lived *most* of its life on his showroom. Yes, it has some idle problems and popping & snapping on accel. I'm not sure that's not old gas? I'm hoping there's time to get the new tabs, insurance, and ride the old gas out of it yet this season, otherwise I'm going to drain and Seafoam it, regardless.

Problems =

The tach "bounces" sporadically. Seems like a loose connection, but if anybody has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Am I right, there is NO fuel shutoff valve? We had a seeping fuel line off the tank when I picked it up, went to replace it and emptied a gallon or more of foul-smelling fuel all over the place. Never saw a petcock. Am I blind?

Any other warning items I should be aware of? The bike is in fantastic condition, overall, so I'm not TOO concerned about anything, just wondering if more experienced owners may have some advice?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Not familiar with the V92 at all. Are your tires fairly new? Do be sure to get some riding in on it early in the season so there are no surprises come Sturgis.
Bikes that have sat need to be ridden some before they can be pronounced reliable. That has been my experience anyway. BTW that is a sweet looking bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
Not familiar with the V92 at all. Are your tires fairly new? Do be sure to get some riding in on it early in the season so there are no surprises come Sturgis.
Bikes that have sat need to be ridden some before they can be pronounced reliable. That has been my experience anyway.
Tires, brakes, oil, etc. are all new. Tires are Avon Venoms, date code is '14, supposedly less than 500 miles on them.

Not sure about the belt drive age. Any way to tell how old the belt is? Is this even a concern?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have very little experience with Victory. I just got mine a few months ago and I love it. You have a beautiful bike there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
welcome, most is answered, but that "tach" problem ....

please download a shop manual from member Bbob a link is in his signature

open the tach cable socket connection maybe in the headlight and put DIESEL-ELECTRIC-GREASE for good connection and anti water

No fuel shut-off ... so did it leak at the 2 connectors ?? you have to really CLICK them, if that is the same system as the newer bikes, again download the manual

BRAKE PADS & brake oil ??

yesssss as mentioned above make sure you ride it for 1000 miles before you go sturgis ...

last but not least, can you buy me a bike and I will to sturgis too ??

ha ha ha
.. cool post you got jwinker

Andre using
TaPaTaLk

·
12,970 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody! I can't wait to get some real seat time on this thing. And thanks for the shop manual, definitely helpful! I am going to have to look into the tach wiring because it seems OK when I'm standing next to the bike (like in the video) but much worse when I'm seated on the bike.

So, the petcock question...when I went to pick up the bike, I sat down & fired it up. It's stale gas, so it smelled pretty awful when it fired up, and smelled really flooded? And then it just kept getting worse...and worse...and really worse??? I looked down and the left-side rubber hose coming off the tank was wet and *seeping* gas. I pointed at it to get the guy's attention, touched it very lightly, and the seeping turned into a needle-thin squirt shooting about 5" out to the left. Whaaaaa?!!? Kill switch!!!!

We poked at it a little more, which made the leak MUCH worse, then started looking for a petcock. Nothing??? No, it's just a hose coming out of a tank, apparently. We managed to get the hose off the bike, plug the holes with our fingers, make a replacement, and get the hose clamps tightened down without loosing TOO MUCH fuel. We then wiped it all down & rolled it out of the shop to let it air out. No more leaks! No harm, no foul!

The bike had been parked in his shop for nearly two years and didn't leak a drop of fuel down to the floor, but as soon as I started it up, there it went. I should consider myself lucky the tabs were expired! I had toyed with the idea of riding it home & if this had happened on the road, I might not have noticed until something started on fire.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Wow...that is crazy! Glad you caught that! Probably dry rotted from sitting there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts