Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for some options for communications between riders.

Past several weekends I've met up with a couple guys to cruise the backroads around here.

We've all expressed interest in some kinda comms system we can use riding.

CB still the way to go?
Are there any good options for those who like to wear half-helmets?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Ling
Hey guys, looking for some options for communications between riPast several weekends I've met up with a couple guys to cruise the backroads around here.

We've all expressed interest in some kinda comms system we can use riding.

CB still the way to go?
Are there any good options for those who like to wear half-helmets?
Shouting is good as long as were not going töo fast,
Great thing about bikes are you dont have to listen to her and if yr feeling a bit toey a squeeze on the leg usually gets the message across.
The need for a toilet stop can be a poke in the ribs.
Pretty basic really and its worked for me for over 40 years.

EDIT....Just reread and see Ive misunderstood the communication dilemma.
In that case shouting and hand signals as groping legs may send the wrong message

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My wife and I use a Sena SMH-10 and it works well with her and also between up to 4 bikes in a pack.
I use mine with a 3/4 helmet most times, but have used it with a 1/2 helmet with no problems.
Easy to Bluetooth pair, easy to use. Can also use it for music from your phone if you want and for navigation commands from GPS.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My brother and I use the Sena SMH 10, it works great. In hindsight I think we should have gone for the SMH20, it has a longer range

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
EDIT....Just reread and see Ive misunderstood the communication dilemma.
In that case shouting and hand signals as groping legs may send the wrong message
:ltr::ltr::ltr: Ya Think ! LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Another SHM-10 user here. Good sound quality, but the included windscreen is a bit thin - lets a lot of wind noise in. I just replaced it with a WD-30 from http://www.windsockwinddeflector.com/. We'll see today how well it works. PaiN says it did the trick for him...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Still another user and proponent of the SENA SMH-10. I use mine to communicate with my wife on her bike (up to about 3/4 mile in a straight line), play music via bluetooth from my phone, provide turn by turn directions via bluetooth from GPS, and take/make phone calls via bluetooth. It works great for all of these. I use it 95% of the time with a 1/2 helmet. I have in the ear canal type ear buds and they act as ear plugs reducing road noise hugely while also providing the music, talk, phone, GPS sound.

I've made business calls while cruising down the road at 55-70 mph and the person to whom I am speaking can't even tell I am on a bike.

One other nice use of the SMH-10 helmet communication phone feature is that when I am on a long trip with friends but not with my wife and I hit bad traffic, I can call her and she looks at google maps traffic view and can both tell me how long the traffic backup is if there is an alternate route. This has saved me a lot of time stuck in traffic in the past.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like the best option is the SENA SMH10, what if you don't wear a helmet?

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ran a sena smh-10 for a couple years and loved it. Recently upgraded to the 20s and continue to love it. My only gripe with the new model is that the music volume and sound quality for some reason don't stack up to the intercom. I wear earplugs 100% of the time and even with them on I don't need the volume all the way up to hear what people are saying over the com but if I do turn it up there's no distortion in the sound. Music, on the other hand, has to be cranked all the way to be loud enough to hear well but at that point there's a ton of distortion and clipping. I'm not sure if it's the wider frequency range of the music that's just too much for the stock speakers or what but it's annoying. I'll probably end up upgrading the speakers to see if it helps. Either way, the dual bluetooth chips, increased range, smartphone app, 8way comms, and fm radio all made the upgrade worthwhile to me.

Sounds like the best option is the SENA SMH10, what if you don't wear a helmet?
Start wearing a helmet? cheers

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
For helmetless, SENA offers the SPH10. Here is a link: http://www.buysena.com/sph10-10.html

It is like the headsets I used to wear for computer gaming. It has speakers and an attached boom mike and a plastic bracket that goes over the ears and behind the head. I have never used this SENA unit so I cannot vouch for its ruggedness, ability to stay in place in the wind, or if it can be heard at highway speed.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the UCLEAR HBC 100plus. not bad only complaint is I can hear my exhaust through the wifes mic. Gets irritating after awhile. It is a boomless set up. Mic sits with the ear pieces.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ChatterBox XBi2-H If you do end up using a helmet. This works for hjc helmets. range is around half a mile and you can have up to 16 riders on it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I ride with a lot of Harley guys who have the built in CB units on there bikes. I would like to be able to talk to them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another endorsement for the Sena 20S. That is, if you go with a helmet.
Voices come through loud and clear. It can connect with 8 other bluetooth devices, and not just Sena brand.
As for music, well, what do you expect from 1 1/4" headphone speakers? Compressed, tinny sound completely lacking bass. Just like a 1970's AM transistor radio. Audiophile quality, absolutely not. Better than nothing, absolutely yes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Another endorsement for the Sena 20S. That is, if you go with a helmet.
Voices come through loud and clear. It can connect with 8 other bluetooth devices, and not just Sena brand.
As for music, well, what do you expect from 1 1/4" headphone speakers? Compressed, tinny sound completely lacking bass. Just like a 1970's AM transistor radio. Audiophile quality, absolutely not. Better than nothing, absolutely yes.
While I agree with you in theory regarding audio quality for such small drivers, the 10 I used to have sounded much better and was capable of higher volumes without distortion so it was a little bit of a shock to discover that the upgraded 20 was such a step backwards on that point.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I ride with a lot of Harley guys who have the built in CB units on there bikes. I would like to be able to talk to them.
Same here, so here's what I did....J&M CB Intercom. Mine was the first Vic to mount one and J&M now has a taller bracket, so the spacers are no longer needed. I zip-tied the mic connector to the bar as seen here.
Also made my own antenna mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How about compatability between different products? Will all the Sena comms work with eachother? Sena along with other systems?
All the SENA systems will communicate with each other. In one of the more recent firmware releases for the SENA systems, they added the ability to connect to other bluetooth based helmet comm systems like the Scala Rider.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 20 of 22 Posts