Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a very good friend that I am trying to convince him to buy a Victory. He doesn't own one now but had years ago which was a Honda. He is 50 and looking at Harleys. So I need your help to convince him to look at either the Magnum or the Cross Country. Besides having the larger front tire, what is the difference. We are supposed to go look at bikes together tonight. SO I need to show him what each one has. The dealers by me suck. That's why I had to go to AR to buy my bike and they know even less. So you help will be greatly appreciated. I have a XCT and he doesn't what that.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hmmmm go to a rental HD shop and ride one ... Then go to a rental Vic and ride one

If you like of course ??

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
YEP!...Ride a Victory..they sell themselves

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you really want to do your friend justice then make sure he gets to try each bike that he's interested in. Whether it's HD or VIC or anything else, its gonna be a very expensive purchase, so it would be horrible to start realizing certain things you don't like about the bike on your first ride home after just having signed the paperwork. Plus test rides (usually) help to eliminate all doubt and regret later on. The good thing is most HD and Vic dealers allow test rides, so there's really no excuse not to have tried them before purchase. In the end your fried will be happiests of he buys the bike that speaks to him most, and not the bike you want him to buy.

He should also look at the new Indians, if he enjoys that styling. Best blend of whats great about HD and Vic in one package. Fantastic motorcycles they are!

·
13,188 Posts
don't take a hour ride take a half day or more ride. Remember you'll riding long days once you make your choice.
If it were me I wouldn't say nothing if you steer him into something he doesn't like you'll lose him as a friend

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
don't take a hour ride take a half day or more ride. Remember you'll riding long days once you make your choice.
If it were me I wouldn't say nothing if you steer him into something he doesn't like you'll lose him as a friend
VJ is right IMHO. It's his decision. Definitely go with him and answer any questions you feel competent to answer. Don't lie or try to sway him one way or the other. Just give him facts and let him decide. At 50 he's all grown up and haired over. Some people are drawn to the Harley brand and have thought about it for decades. It would be better to let him just buy the HD if he chose to and then later decide HE made the wrong choice than to push him on to a Vic and forever wonder about that HD he dreamed about for so long. He can sell it then go buy that Vic. Sure, he will have learned an expensive lesson, but who hasn't been there done that at least once. I can think of two times I did that.

Be his friend; not his parent or his salesman.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Misunderstand

Guys, We have been friends for over 30 yrs and I am just opening his eyes to all the bikes out there. I'm not pushing any bike. He knows I am knowledgeable about bikes.

Getting back to the real question here. What is the difference between the Magnum and the Cross Country. Is there any besides the front wheel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Magnum has the bag fillers on the saddlebags, XC doesn't, but you can add them.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Guys, We have been friends for over 30 yrs and I am just opening his eyes to all the bikes out there. I'm not pushing any bike. He knows I am knowledgeable about bikes.

Getting back to the real question here. What is the difference between the Magnum and the Cross Country. Is there any besides the front wheel.
Baggers - Find a Victory Bagger Motorcycle

·
13,188 Posts
Its a shame that the Vic web page doesn't tell you much about the bikes. I think if the told more guys would go in and ask more question.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts

Paint, Stereo, Bag fillers, cheese wedges, windshields, seat, 21" wheel, lowered 1" in the rear, stereo controls, Led Headlight... I think I got it all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
TravisP hit it - I am going to add a little to his post:

Stereo - XC, depends on the package, but only 2 to 4 speakers and minimal amp. Magnum, has 6 speakers and a 100watt system. Magnum X1, has 10 speakers and a 200watt system. Also you get Bluetooth, iPod, AM/FM, etc etc, not sure if these are all available on the standard XC.

Wheels - Matching aluminum front and rear wheels, along with the 21" front wheel you get the Reaper style front fender

Bag Fillers - which if you are going to put a rear back rest or tour pack on, you will end up modifying these or removing them anyways

Side NOTE: I hated my stock boomerang front windshield - the wind buffeting was HORRIBLE!! I have changed mine out for the smaller VStream and it is still bad, but is better. I have a feeling I will go taller some day. The windshield and wind buffeting is the only thing I dislike on my Magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
TravisP hit it - I am going to add a little to his post:

Stereo - XC, depends on the package, but only 2 to 4 speakers and minimal amp. Magnum, has 6 speakers and a 100watt system. Magnum X1, has 10 speakers and a 200watt system. Also you get Bluetooth, iPod, AM/FM, etc etc, not sure if these are all available on the standard XC.

Wheels - Matching aluminum front and rear wheels, along with the 21" front wheel you get the Reaper style front fender

Bag Fillers - which if you are going to put a rear back rest or tour pack on, you will end up modifying these or removing them anyways

Side NOTE: I hated my stock boomerang front windshield - the wind buffeting was HORRIBLE!! I have changed mine out for the smaller VStream and it is still bad, but is better. I have a feeling I will go taller some day. The windshield and wind buffeting is the only thing I dislike on my Magnum.

Long ride shields has an 8" flip that is perfect height and buffering is 10 times better than the Vstream. In my eyes windshields without flips are useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts