Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone ever get any part numbers for the 2011 model torque compensator/neutral rattle noise fix, for those of us that want to do a self repair? I'd like to do mine. I can't trust my dealer to do the repair. (They scratched my bike last time it was there, and just generally seem to be morons).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did anyone ever get any part numbers for the 2011 model torque compensator/neutral rattle noise fix, for those of us that want to do a self repair? I'd like to do mine. I can't trust my dealer to do the repair. (They scratched my bike last time it was there, and just generally seem to be morons).
I've commented about the morons at my local shop also. They're all over, not just there.

I've been fighting with my local shop about this very subject since I took my bike in for it's 500mi service back in August. I just talked to another shop that said they would have a look at it, and actually admitted that they had seen it before. I refuse to fix it myself (hard head), but will sell the bike instead. I'll not be a part of such a low standard of service. I've put out on the web a review of this shop every place I can find to publish it. If I expressed my true feeling for this shop on the forum I'm sure the admin would promptly edit my comments.

I've had several Harleys (among others), and now a Victory. My next one I think I'll build myself.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Jimmy #'s,
Call Polaris of Gainsville and see if you can talk to kevin Cross (KevinX). He should be able to tell you the kit part number and may also be able to give you the name of a Victory shop near you that you can trust.

BHax,
Please don't down the entire company over problems you had with one dealer. There are good folks and bad folks, good service and bad service just like any other company. You aren't a hard head for not wanting to do your own work, you are like anyone else with a new bike and a warranty and expect good service. If you want to pick at that dealer you should go to FaceBook and let the world know; screwing up your bike (I assume they denied fault) is not acceptable and people should be told. Also note that there have been many people that have gotten free repair offers after they were forced to go to FaceBook to voice their complaint.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Is this a job that can be done in your garage? I know that a sevice manual would be needed but what degree of difficulty is involved in the repair?

·
13,003 Posts
Why not go to your dealer and ask if they have a update part number for the sprocket.
If they can't find one ask then to call Polaris.

You could do the job your self if you have a air impact and a clutch hub puller and a couple of sockets.

NO you can't use a hammer unless you have deep pockets for what you break.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the job can be done without pulling the clutch. All you have to do is remove the side cover, remove compensator cover staked nut, pull off the cover, pull out the springs/washers and replace with the new springs and cover. Reinstall new nut and stake it. The trick will be re-tightening the nut to torque specs without the engine/trans turning. I've usually acconplished this on previous bikes by putting the bike in gear and having an assistant hold the rear brake, or polaris makes a little engine lock tool that jams in between the gears to hold them.

Just need the dang part numbers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jimmy #'s,
Call Polaris of Gainsville and see if you can talk to kevin Cross (KevinX). He should be able to tell you the kit part number and may also be able to give you the name of a Victory shop near you that you can trust.

BHax,
Please don't down the entire company over problems you had with one dealer. There are good folks and bad folks, good service and bad service just like any other company. You aren't a hard head for not wanting to do your own work, you are like anyone else with a new bike and a warranty and expect good service. If you want to pick at that dealer you should go to FaceBook and let the world know; screwing up your bike (I assume they denied fault) is not acceptable and people should be told. Also note that there have been many people that have gotten free repair offers after they were forced to go to FaceBook to voice their complaint.
I'm not picking on the Co. as a whole, and it's not that I don't want to do my own work. I look at it as, if there is someone that will help me when I need it, I'll go to them when I buy extra's (pipes, chrome, etc.) The shop that won't help me, I'm sure not going to patronize, and I will tell anyone that will listen why not.

This first shop didn't deny, or screw anything up anything, to the effect that they told me "That is normal, all 103's make that noise". It sounds just like my shovel sounded when one of the springs were cracked in the compensator. Last summer a guy rolled down his window and asked if he could give me a hand, and asked if my bike was going to be okay. This noise is not normal. It only does it when it is hot. With the cold temps here lately it's pretty quiet, but next summer I'm sure it'll be loud as ever.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Apparently this compensator issue isnt a big deal cause we still aint got no stinkin part #s.:crzy:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Apparently this compensator issue isnt a big deal cause we still aint got no stinkin part #s.:crzy:
I believe that to be true. Mine did make noise when I was in my break-in period, but that was when I was being pretty easy on it. Now that I actually ride it, the noise has disappeared. Maybe it is just mine I don't know. Guess I'll find out again in the spring when it comes out of hibernation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The compensator part number to fix the noisy clutch can be found in the "Shifting cluncky on my 2001 Jackpot" thread in this section of the forum.

Good luck with the fix and let us know how it goes.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
This is getting ridiculous. Form a petition and let Victory know this is an unacceptable problem. I will sign it!

Searching this forum I find people going to demo rides and no mention of noisey clutches. Yet when they buy one and bring it home ( like myself) there is the mentioned compensator rattle.

What, does Vic pick 20 bikes out of lets say 50 and listen for noises before they bring them to there demo gathering cause thats what it seems like to me. Yet all the dealers laugh and look at you like you dont know what your talking about. " OH they all do that" they say. Well I say "they should'nt" ARRRRGH !

I will be at Daytona this year and Victory will have their set up and I will be all over these demo bikes listening and looking for answers to my problem. They gotta know by now that this is an issue. For crying outloud even the the owners of new high balls are complaining and we are still not getting any stinking part #'s

It's RECALL time !!!!! cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Well, apparently they are fixing this under warranty, so why do a recall if most people are not bothered by it? I personally can live with it, but am getting it done just because they're doing it, and because less noise is always better than more. A recall has to be grounded on safety or reliability issues, and in this case that doesn't apply. Anyhow, I have an appointment for Saturday morning. Will ask the tech for the part numbers.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Well, apparently they are fixing this under warranty, so why do a recall if most people are not bothered by it? I personally can live with it, but am getting it done just because they're doing it, and because less noise is always better than more. A recall has to be grounded on safety or reliability issues, and in this case that doesn't apply. Anyhow, I have an appointment for Saturday morning. Will ask the tech for the part numbers.
Part of me isnt bothered at all by the slight rattle I get. Then there's times where it bugs the crap out of me and it seems loud.
It will be appreciated when you let us all know the outcome of your service experience. Oh yes part #'s please.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey C.R , just out of curiosity I hav'nt really heard you complain much about this issue with your bike. How bad is yours acting? It must be enough to warrant you getting the repair.

I understand that the repair is actually using a set-up from a previous year tranny.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hey C.R , just out of curiosity I hav'nt really heard you complain much about this issue with your bike. How bad is yours acting? It must be enough to warrant you getting the repair.

I understand that the repair is actually using a set-up from a previous year tranny.
Honestly, it does not bother me one bit. Especially since my bike has D&D pipes on, you have to carefully listen to even hear the chatter in neutral, with the clutch pulled. At the dealer, I was almost embarrassed that I was even bringing this up. But, if this is acknowledged as a problem by Victory, then I would want my bike to be problem free. Especially while the warranty still covers for such "repair." You never know when Polaris will make a white XR, and then I'll be forced to sell my baby - and the new buyer might not like the neutral chatter. ;)

·
13,003 Posts
I brought the bike into Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA. It now has 3,357 miles on it and the rattle was still there. They have a technician there by the name of William Pendleton and he is their Victory guy as he has been working on them since the beginning. He is very thorough, detail oriented & does an excellent job. The work order describes the labor as "replace torque compensator" and the parts were #5813096 gasket kit, #5812232 copper washer and #2877474 5 qts Vic oil 20/40. They did say Victory sent them a "shim" but I don't see it under parts on the work order.

Upon riding it home (about 6 miles) I found the bike ran great (as usual) and when I'd stop at a light, I'd slip it into neutral and listen. Low and behold! No rattle! It worked! I then motored out through Live Oak Canyon and then over into Foothill Ranch to get it good and warm and when I stopped for gas, I let it idle in neutral next to the gas pump where I could really listen closely...still, no rattle. I was so delighted, I ripped out a letter to Victory in Medina, Iowa telling them how pleased I was with the service writers Nick & Michael and with technican William Pendelton at Mission Motorsports and with their fix-it kit. I sent a copy of the letter to the dealership as well.

Hope this helps you guys!

Why didn't some one do copy and past is it so hard to do or don't you care to help others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts