change the compensator.any installers want to give real world
advice here? hopefully this will be all ill be asking before i either
do it or leave it alone and hope it doesnt get louder. the 12's
are much quieter in all aspects .--irv

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Irv,
I suggest you and Bearcat give Kevinx a jingle (via PM) and see if he'll sent instructions and troubleshooting. If he sends it to you it will come in handy should you decide to take your XR in and it will give something to Bearcat to show his shop what they did wrong.

Or you could just take the XR in, let them bungle it, and join me and Bearcat in the non-functional Crimson XR club!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We have done at least a dozen of these compensator updates, and the only thing I have heard back; is how happy people are. Could you please provide me a link to the threads mentioned. I generally just scan the forums when I get a second, and seem to have missed them

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hey Kevin you got here quick! Irv's story is in the big compensator thread and he hasn't actually tried the install yet. His parts came in but now he's concerned about the post below (from the new members section):

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11626

Hey while I've got your attention if you get a chance can you see if you have a clutch lever in stock for a 2011 XR? Mine was slighly damaged in a wreck and my dealer (Trish at Tri-City in Utah) is trying to get one sooner than the backorder will allow (13 Jul).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hey Kevin you got here quick! Irv's story is in the big compensator thread and he hasn't actually tried the install yet. His parts came in but now he's concerned about the post below (from the new members section):

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11626

Hey while I've got your attention if you get a chance can you see if you have a clutch lever in stock for a 2011 XR? Mine was slighly damaged in a wreck and my dealer (Trish at Tri-City in Utah) is trying to get one sooner than the backorder will allow (13 Jul).
I'm waiting on a lever myself:(

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Hopefully not for the same reason...

I found some on eBay but the seller is in Norway. Too bad I can't trust it because he supposedly has 10 of them. If I find a cache of them somewere in the US I'll let you know where to find one.

Sorry for the hijack Irv!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Okay....now I'm caught up.
First off; thier was one part on back order, and was just released last week. The delivery time reflected that. Not sure what the hold up was, but precision machine, and tempered springs are backed up all over the world. The tsunami inJapan has had some weird consequences across the globe. Many Japanese manufacturers are throwing huge money to get parts made for them.

Next......someone screwed up big time in assembly. If the trans worked when it was brought in. It should be working just fine now

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man, ammo, i dont know what i'd do w/o you. thanks for all your
help.kevin, im sorry i laid all this stuff on you. so most of this
stuff victory is telling us might be bs? my service guy is also part
owner and has been working on vics since they came out. he only
relayed what bob[i think] in vic service told him. even told me to
keep my parts in case i wanted to reinstall.well might as well call rich and get the parts.im beginning to really like the cr,even the trans.
great shifting two up ride is great, handles well, plenty of power.
just not in love with the burnt rump roast smell from my right
upper leg in the hot weather.vtx before was liquid cooled.
and yes the o2 sensors are unhooked as per you.--irv

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes .... Ammo thanks for all the help and positive words! I agree Kevinx that the shop mechanics screwed up while fixing the compensator problem. The bike was fine when I dropped it off in May. Anyways.. at the end of the day the dealer has successfully pissed me off and I have asked for a new ride! The dealer owner agreed and now I wait for a new bike in a crate to arrive. Probably not the crimson red but hopefully a bike that I can drive. Ammo .. I am glad you are ok after your crash and I hope the clutch comes in soon.
Good luck to you irv in whatever you decide to do. Glad you are enjoying the bike.

2011 Crimson red Canada

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
How do you determine if your 2011 cross roads/country needs the compensator replaced?
If it makes a loud rattle while you hold the clutch pulled, while in neutral, then your Victory dealer will have it replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will hear a very loud " knocking " sound when the bike is in neutral and has had a chance to warm up. You engage the clutch or drop into first and the sound goes away.

I hope you do not have this problem.

2011 XC Crimson Red Canada

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most 12's have the upgrade and upgraded trans parts too.
they keep making them better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
After all of the talk I listened to mine today and can also hear the noise but it is not as prevelant as others i guess... so I sent am email to the "contact us" at Coastal Victory of Murrells Inlet, S.C. These folks are about 75 mi from me... anyway, I send them ask email at 7:30 pm this evening, figuring to hear something back next week.... I get a reply tonight from Tim saying the factory deems some noise OK....but to bring the bike up so He can look at it.....

I can't say enough good things about Coastal Victory... if you are ever on the coast of the Carolinas and are looking to buy or have your Victory serviced, go see these guys !!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm not sure I've been reading the multitude of threads concerning the torque compensator noise correctly, so I'm gonna hijack this one and find out for sure:

I have the torque compensator noise. It's very noticeable when the bike's warmed up. I've put 2600 miles on the bike so far and the rattle doesn't seem to have worsened. My question is: does the presence of the noise mean I NEED to get the repair done to avoid powertrain damage, or does it mean I can get the repair done so I don't have to listen to the rattle anymore?

I can tolerate the rattle. I don't spend much time idling in neutral with the clutch out.

EDIT: I also wouldn't really call mine a "knock." More like a Hills Bros. coffee can full of grabber screws being shaken lol.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There haven't been any reports or indications that the compensator or anything else is/can be damaged if the repair kit isn't installed. Everything pretty much points to the fact that your bike will be quieter if the kit is installed but you will pick up a little drivetrain lash in 5th gear.
You can most likely get it done for free so if the noise bothers you and you can deal with a little lash then do it.

Luciferiad,
If you want to get it done try making an appt with Tri City in Centerville. While you're waiting you can demo a bike and ride the mountains down here!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
As ammo_umb mentioned, this fix is for the noise only. If your bike does it loud enough where it bothers you, Victory will fix it. If you don't care about it, or it's not loud enough to bother you, then you're just taking an unnecessary risk having your mechanic open her up (unless you have a reputable Vic mechanic do the work).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts