Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Appreciate if anyone has one..sparky by trade and have always done diagnosis mods, using schematics...

would be great to have one in my bike directory..

Cheers,

Derek thumb upthumb up

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump..anyone....

Especially looking at horn circuitry as i have installed a Screaming banshee horn, which will work, when i disconnect the stock horn, but wont work when stock horn is connected...

Sparky by trade, but used to working with schematics..

Cheers,

Derek:)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Bump..anyone....

Especially looking at horn circuitry as i have installed a Screaming banshee horn, which will work, when i disconnect the stock horn, but wont work when stock horn is connected...

Sparky by trade, but used to working with schematics..

Cheers,

You cannot have both the stock horn and the Screaming Banshee hooked up in parallel. The relay for the Banshee will not supply enough current for both.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Crossroads,

Thanks for the quick reply.
i have the banshee horn wired via the electronic control unit that screaming banshee supply as part of the kit..

I would post the schematic, but dont have access to an upload site..

link to instructions here

http://screaming-banshee.com/how-to-install

I have followed and all seems wired to plan.

The stock horn will work when pushing the horn button, and technically the control units picks up a signal from the the stock horn after a .25 or .5 programmable delay and then fires the screaming banshee and the stock horn together.

If i physically push the front cone of the stock horn , so that it wont work, the banshee kicks straight in.

The screaming Banshee control unit connects directly to the Battery (fused) to power the horn i assume when it senses a signal, and then provides power to the banshee via a seperate cable..

sure i am missing something simple ..

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
48 Posts
If i physically push the front cone of the stock horn , so that it wont work, the banshee kicks straight in.
Are you sure you have good and solid electrical connections especially between the factory horn and the control unit and also from the banshee horn to the chassis?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I Think So..

I have taken the negative of the banshee control unit, and the banshee horn negative direct to the negative battery terminal.

The feed for the banshee control unit (ie the horn positive), i have joined , but am sure the connection is solid, i used a utilux "spade joiner", which banshee supplied, so it can take two female auto push on terminals into one unit. (hope that makes sense - U shaped receptacle, both female plugs connect to it, and then it pushes back onto horn terminal)

i dont understand why when i put physical pressure on the cone front of the stock horn, it stops working then the banshee kicks in.

will check connections again, i believe it it something to do with the control signal ?

thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tried also running a negative direct from battery to stock horn, no joy..

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont understand why when i put physical pressure on the cone front of the stock horn, it stops working then the banshee kicks in.

will check connections again, i believe it it something to do with the control signal ?

thanks,

Derek
The wire attached to the factory horn is most likely looking for a certain voltage to be reached. It could be that the system doesn't work with that type of horn or a bad electrical connection.

When you press on the cone of a horn it has to work harder to vibrate so it will draw more current. Which means that you are changing the voltage that the control unit sees.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,

thanks for the ideas i appreciate it..

Just to clarify, the horn has a black wire which i am assuming is Negative, with the positive wire a white with green stripe..

I would have thought the screeming banchee control box will be firing an opto coupler or relay, when it picks up juice on the local horn, this then feeds via internals within control module, the 12v high current supply to the banshee horn....

to clarify..the stock horn and banshee via the control box should work together...

Crossroads mentioned a relay, and i believe that is the function that the control box does via the internal control module..

really want to solve this , as i am sure others may be looking at the Screaming -Banshee System...

I will also send an email direct to screaming Banshee, with a link to this thread...

Keep the ideas coming..

Regards,

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OK i think it is related to current on the banshee system, which is needed to trigger the electronic unit..

DUMB question....i assume that the Victory stock horn is a 12V horn, and not 6V..can anyone categorically confirm..?

if it is 6V , i may have to utilise a voltage doubler to get the banshee electronics to fire?

regards,

Derek:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
12v I am surprised you have not mentioned that you have been blowing fuses. Need separate power sources for each horn. stock horn has XX amount of amps and your new horn wants how many amps to run it? Add the amps together, POOF goes the fuse. The stock horn takes up 15 amps by itself. Add another horn in the circuit, 15 + 15 = equals over load. The relay mentioned above uses the horn switch on one side to energize the relay to close a contact from a accessory fused spare to the new horn. Just make sure on the fused side that you run at least 14awg wire to the horn.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gibson,

thank you for your response..please read the thread from the start..

i have followed the Screaming -Banshee instructions IMPLICITLY...
Industrial spark by trade..so not a first time effort on wiring...

if the stock horn is 12v not 6v, then the banshee control unit, via the connection with the stock horn is not pulling enough current to activate the banshee control module..hence my questions..

I am waiting for Screaming-banshee to respond..as i believe this is key to all victory owners..

regards,

Derek

PS keep the ideas coming..

Again is the victory horn 12V DC or is it 6V DC,,as the control signal seems to be the root of my problems, and if it is 6V DC i will put a voltage doubler in line, which hopefully will solve the issue..cheerscheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gibson,

just to clarify, the screaming banshee control module connects direct to the battery, for supply, and gets a trigger signal via the stock horn to fire the banshee after a preset delay..so seperate from the stock horn electrics..

cheers,

Derek

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK i think it is related to current on the banshee system, which is needed to trigger the electronic unit..

DUMB question....i assume that the Victory stock horn is a 12V horn, and not 6V..can anyone categorically confirm..?

if it is 6V , i may have to utilise a voltage doubler to get the banshee electronics to fire?

regards,

Derek:confused::confused:
If you have volt meter you can check the voltage.
You could also compare the voltage to when you press on the horns cone.
Having a 6v horn seems unlikely to me. I think it would be a silly design decision by Victory.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
:mad: is the yellow wire hooked up to the head light high beam? Is the high beam on when button is pushed? Does the horn work when the Victory horn is unhooked? When does it work and when does it NOT.??? A good electrical trouble shooter has to eliminate the problem and decide that the system was not DESIGNED for what you are doing and has to REDESIGN to make it work..thumb up ENough said have a good life SLICK..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK update, will not use the high beam function, as i have an HID setup..

Screaming Banshee have seen a similar problem, and will supply an interfacing relay. Will keep you posted how this progresses.

regards,

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the "high beam function" on this horn?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE...

All solved,with good support from the Screaming Banshee team.
I ended up fitting an auxilliary relay across the existing stock horn, and feeding the Banshee control unit direct from a 12v source..

Horn works as advertised using the .25 sec delay..
I have not utilised the flashing light function at this point.

So unsure if this were particular to my bike, or will be the same on all victories...

Again all good, thanks to all for their input.cheerscheerscheers

Derek

1 - 20 of 20 Posts