Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am going to say this up front this is not a political post on gun control.
Here in Kansas we have concealed carry and open carry.
There is no license required in Kansas to carry a fire arm.

Now here is the reason for my post.
I know someone who carries a firearm.
They makes me feel very uncomfortable when I am around him.
I will describe them to you .... Let me know what your guys think.

They looks for any reason / excuse / opportunity to draw out there firearm.
they will leave the windows down on there truck and the keys in the ignition just begging for someone to try and steal the truck
So that they can be a hero by using there weapon and shooting the bad guys.
I am not sure if its stealing if you’re purposely leaving your truck open hoping someone tries to steal it.
Another thing they will leave there garage door open at night again hoping someone will "break in"
so that they can use there weapon and shoot the bad guys... again if your purposely wanting people to break in so you have reason to shoot them.... It just does not seem right to me.

I do carry a firearm from time to time and I don’t go looking for a reason to use it.
If I had to use it, I will need some serious therapy after wards.

Do people like him have a name?
I am sure he isn’t the only one who goes around looking for a reason to draw their weapon.

Let me know what you guys think.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I'll be your Huckleberry.

It's hard to form an opinion on much of this because we have no idea where this is. If it was in the middle of a large city or town of over 100k then I'd say the person was being foolish about not locking things up.

If it was rural; not so much. Also; without hearing his side of the story we are only hearing one side.

I can say that if he is the way you make him sound to be; he will likely get himself into some trouble at some point he may not walk away from or be fighting the legal system for years as he goes broke and destitute.

If he is as you describe; maybe you should distance yourself and play it smart.

It's also possible you're over sensitive to the idea of someone carrying all the time. Some people are. It freaks them out in a way I find to be unnatural and unreasonable.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The person you are describing is a big part of the problem for those of us that support the Second Amendment and want to keep the right to bear arms. Ya-hoos and loose cannons with firearms are one of the tools gun-control advocates use to sway public opinion toward their side... So mister "hot to be a shooting hero" is part of the problem not the solution... But more than that, I'd really have to question the mental stability of a person that behaves like that with a weapon....

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
He's a Fudd

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
He’s an idiot, if your portrayal is accurate. No one should ever go looking for a reason to pull out a weapon.

I carry occasionally. I was taught, if you pull the weapon out, know exactly what you are shooting at, know what’s beyond that target (if you miss) and if you pull it, you better be planning on using it. It is not a deterrent or warning tool. It is your last line of defense.

Now I know some people believe it can be used as a warning or deterrent...that’s just a difference of philosophy. Just not mine. If my gun comes out, someone is getting shot.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Do people like him have a name?
WANNABE

hi mate, can i suggest to stay away from people like that ? Whoever makes you feel uncomfortable you do not need in life ... When you see him, just smile and say hello and move on ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
347 Posts
To me it reads as though he is a zombie baiting humans by setting a trap. Like being in a hunting blind with decoys set to attract one's prey. Concealed or open carry is a defensive position. Sounds like this person is on the offense - on a mission, with a itchy trigger finger. I'd put considerable distance between he and I. Not somebody I'd choose to occupy the same space within a mile of each other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Let me fill in some blank spots.
The guy with the itchy trigger finger happens to be my boss at work.
So distancing myself from him is next to impossible.
He'll pull that gun out of his pocket just because he can.... age might play a roll in this ... hes up in his 80s
The gun he carries is a Ruger it doesn't have a safety switch ... I don't know why but it came with out one.
Another guy I work with Mark him I both think he'll put a bullet in his leg when he pulls from his pocket it or in someone.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The gun he carries is a Ruger it doesn't have a safety switch ... I don't know why but it came with out one.
there are a lot of handguns with no safety, my glock is one of them. the biggest safety is keeping your finger off the trigger. but as has been said, he may eventually get his wish, but i can sincerely hope he can live with the consequences of said action. when i was teaching my kids to shoot, i took them to the range with a pumpkin, shot it with my home defense shotgun. said "now put the pieces back together". they instantly understood.
but like Pain said, he is giving more ammunition to the people that think all of us who support and enjoy our 2nd ammendment rights are all Gun Toting nutjobs just looking for someone/something to shoot.

any chance you can slip him some extra metamucil and then eject the mag on his sidearm and empty it completely before he hurts himself?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any chance you can slip him some extra metamucil and then eject the mag on his sidearm and empty it completely before he hurts himself?
When ever he leaves it lying around some where and I see it I do drop the clip and eject the round out of the chamber.
After that I set it where he left it and go about my business.

I know that gun is not going to get up and start shooting it self.
I just do it for peace of mind.

Another guy here Vern He says its just him being Mr. tough guy... "Don't start with me I have a gun".

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When ever he leaves it lying around some where and I see it I do drop the clip and eject the round out of the chamber.

After that I set it where he left it and go about my business.

I know that gun is not going to get up and start shooting it self.

I just do it for peace of mind.

Another guy here Vern He says its just him being Mr. tough guy... "Don't start with me I have a gun".

When he leaves it lying around? He is not a responsible gun owner. You NEVER just leave it lying around somewhere.

Hold my beer and watch this!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm in agreement with others above who have noted that pulling your weapon should be a last resort. First, if you go looking for trouble, you'll probably find it and likely deserve it. Your dumbassery is not justification to pull your weapon. Second, if a situation arises where things start to get heated, unless you are willing to potentially get your ass kicked, walk away. Again, as noted above, a weapon is the last line of defense.

As for your boss's penchant for 'showing his off' his weapon, in several states he might easily be charged with "brandishing" and in PA such actions can find you charged with Simple Assault.

PA is a "shall issue" state and any resident who meets the legal qualifications and passes the background check will be issued a CCW license. No course (generally included are rules and training for why/when/how) is required. Consequently, a number of states that require a course for their CCW permit do not have reciprocity with PA thus forcing PA license holders to apply for "non-resident" licenses from states such as FL that require a class. As a number of folks I know (including several neighbors) have no idea of which end goes BANG, I would have no problem if PA where to require one.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Your boss is the reason that the "gun amenment" or whatever its called , the liberals want to take away from your country

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Your boss is the reason that the "gun amenment" or whatever its called , the liberals want to take away from your country

Luckily, they won’t. Even when they had total control under Obama (held a filibuster proof majority) no legislation was even introduced. It’s a good talking point, but no one is actually doing anything about it.

No national gun laws have been passed since 2007. It required multiple federal agencies to keep up-to-date records on people who would be disqualified from buying a firearm, including those with documented mental health issues, those convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, and those convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than a year. Went into law in 2008.

Before that one was the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons Ban (now expired) in 1994.

No one is taking anyone’s guns...just bluster and talking points. The Democrats try to sell it, the Republicans try to scare you with it, but no one is actually doing anything.

It’s the American way.

Hold my beer and watch this!

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
True .... @theja1

10.000 people behave good and dandy , and that 1 guy spoils it for the rest ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Pat
Are you sure the guy is not just old and scared?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pat
Are you sure the guy is not just old and scared?
Maybe...
When he first got the gun he was Mr. John Wayne for about a month maybe 2.
Along with his saying of " you don't catch a fish with out baiting the hook"

Here is a crazy story....
Monday he left his gun in the break room.
I saw it drop the clip and ejected the round from the chamber as I always do when I find it.
I left it for him to find and carried on.... Now the crazy strange part.
He told me Tuesday "You know I am pretty careless with this gun and someone could get hurt because of me"
I was blown away ... Like YA THINK?!?!?!?!

In my mind I thought maybe he saw my post :eek

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
There are a few people that I know that had concealed carry permits. That I did not feel were competent enough to have one. People in their 40's and 50's. They are people that never hunted and was not brought up around firearms. In that case I think they need extensive training. The guy you are talking about may be incompetent due to age.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
TN law is that you can't carry open or concealed without a permit. I've always kept a gun in my vehicles so figured I would make it legal a few years ago. About 30 of us in the class but about half of them should not be allowed to have a drivers license much less a carry permit!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts