Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local vic dealer says they all love the Commander II, but around here I've read a lot about the bias tire is not good on the CCT, also that tire is not in the factory size.

Did a bunch of reading on the forum about it and have found a lot of people liking the Metzelers, but they are not made in a radial for my bike in the 80H, only made in the 74H. And again my dealer says I should not use less than the recommended 80H.

I know this subject has been beat to death, but a question for all you Metzeler lovers out there, did you end up going with the Bias 80H or the Radial 74H?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I'm using a Commander II. Haven't noticed anything wrong with it. 81H

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a Commander II. Haven't noticed anything wrong with it. 81H
I believe the complaints are that the commander's are less stable and I know at least one person said the taller tire rubbed. Did you have any of these problems on your CCT?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I believe the complaints are that the commander's are less stable and I know at least one person said the taller tire rubbed. Did you have any of these problems on your CCT?

I have had zero rubbing. Also, with the stock Dunlop E3 I had about a 3% speedometer error. It’s just about perfect now. As for less stable, I like the way it handles. Tip-in seems easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
696 Posts
I run Commander II’s. No issues at all on my 13 CCT

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think I'm most worried about high speed wobbling. And that doesn't seam to be what we're talking about here. I don't really ride my bike on fast twisting roads, but sometimes I get a little over zealous on the throttle and am doing 90 before I let out. So maybe the commander II is the way to go. I like the idea of getting twice the mileage of the E3.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Yesterday, on my way home from Americade, I ended up playing slalom with a van and a couple trucks because they were being stupid. Cams + Pipes + Commander II was a very fun, thrilling escape sequence. The sound was awesome too, as it was the lower level of a stacked roadway and the sound reverberated :D

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
My car came with radial tires and I can't for the life of me think of any reason I'd want to replace them with bias ply tires when that time comes. Ditto for my CCT.

Ride on,

·
Registered
154 Posts
74h vs 80h Metz 888s

I was good on the 888 radial 74H up until about 4k miles...then saw nothing but steel belts! I do ride it like I stole it, but never 2 up on those 888s. guessthe weight rating is more imortant than I thought. Just switched out to the Dunlop E4s (in proper size, radial, and weight rating) and am happy so far. (only at 2K)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My car came with radial tires and I can't for the life of me think of any reason I'd want to replace them with bias ply tires when that time comes. Ditto for my CCT.

Ride on,

For me, increased load rating since it’s a heavy bike, I’m a heavy guy, my wife is a heavy passenger, I always have my bags full, and I love twisting that damned throttle. :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
471 Posts
I’m on my second set of Metzler 888’s, this set is “H” with a 600# rating up front and a 992# rating in the rear. I stepped up from the first set cause I added a trunk and now my wife rides with me. I got about 13,000 out of the first set and they were pretty much shot when I changed them. Odd point, the shop that mounted the new ones for me hated Metzler tires, the mechanic claimed they fail more than any other tire out there. I hope that’s not the case with mine. This pair is riding great and I keep the pressure right 42 front and 50 rear. Like the original E3’s when the ridge appears in the center the cornering gets a bit sketchy as the bike tends to “dive” when the lean gets on the ridge.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I’m on my second set of Metzler 888’s, this set is “H” with a 600# rating up front and a 992# rating in the rear. I stepped up from the first set cause I added a trunk and now my wife rides with me. I got about 13,000 out of the first set and they were pretty much shot when I changed them. Odd point, the shop that mounted the new ones for me hated Metzler tires, the mechanic claimed they fail more than any other tire out there. I hope that’s not the case with mine. This pair is riding great and I keep the pressure right 42 front and 50 rear. Like the original E3’s when the ridge appears in the center the cornering gets a bit sketchy as the bike tends to “dive” when the lean gets on the ridge.
Metzelers were ok when made in Germany but now theyre made in Brazil too,
where are yours made?..it says on the sidewall.,
Check for cracking between the treads, like in the grooves.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I think I'm most worried about high speed wobbling. And that doesn't seam to be what we're talking about here. I don't really ride my bike on fast twisting roads, but sometimes I get a little over zealous on the throttle and am doing 90 before I let out. So maybe the commander II is the way to go. I like the idea of getting twice the mileage of the E3.

Adam
First off let me say I don't buy my tires for extreme milage over others. I don't get any instability at all with my Dunlops , I have had it cruiseing well over 160 kph and then came to my scences as the ticket guys really really frown on that kind of speed, we all know what these bikes can do if we twist the throttle for passing. I have an E3 on the front and E4 on the back , only reason I have changed the front over to the E4 is because its not due yet. I got 25000 km for my back before I changed it and could have went way more. I like curvy roads, I don't spin my rear tire and have never had an issue on wet pavement. I have been told by a friend that has training in this field ( he's a tire guy ) that with the radial tires on our deep rims that even if you got a flat tire you would still be able to ride to safety and the tire would most likely stay on the rim.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Just bought a pair of Shinko 777's , don't need em yet but price was so good Ill get em while Ive got the money.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just bought a pair of Shinko 777's , don't need em yet but price was so good Ill get em while Ive got the money.
Keep a close eye on those between the treads. I had a Shinko blow out on me with a failure between the treads. Had the wife on the bike with me also, she was not amused at all....

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Keep a close eye on those between the treads. I had a Shinko blow out on me with a failure between the treads. Had the wife on the bike with me also, she was not amused at all....
Tell us more, and got any pix,?

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts