Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I don't spend a lot of time on the forum and have been out of touch with the bike market since I bought this one new roughly a year and a half ago so I'd like to ask for you guys help in determining an asking price for if I decide to sell. The bike is a '14 XC Titanium with 3600 miles. It's mechanically and cosmetically flawless. Extras include 23" front with 6.5 over rake, hmd gorilla bars, skyth mirrors, 2" lowered rear, 6.5" speakers with 300 watt amp and bluetooth receiver, quick release backrest, and bassani exhaust. I'm not looking for offers in this thread. If I decide to sell I'll post it up in the appropriate section. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
A guy here in ohio had a similiar setup on craigslist and originally had it priced at 30k. The price was dropped 1k ever 2 weeks or so until it hit 25k. I'm assuming the bike sold around that 25k because the ad was taken down. Not sure if this will help or not. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I bought my Magnum New for $19.500 so I would say less than that at least.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I bought my Magnum New for $19.500 so I would say less than that at least.
I agree.... The Magnum has hurt the resale value of big wheel modded bikes. It is a 23" versus a 21", but the custom paint, stereo, and painted dash and chin make it a wash value wise (IMHO). Be patient and wait for the right buyer if you want top dollar. Don't expect to get near what you have in it though (I don't plan on selling mine any time soon for this very reason.
High teens is my best guess. Going into off season doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The Magnum has definitely hurt the market a little... However Magnum's all look the same and yours is unique (relatively). I would say it will bring around 23g. People want a 23" way more than a 21".

·
Premium Member
13,152 Posts
A lot of it can depend on the area you live in if you are trying to sell locally.

If you broaden your area of selling, like in the lower 48, and offer to split the shipping costs you might find you can get more. Maybe much more.

I would guestimate $21k but remember; we are going into Winter now. In the Spring you might be able to get $23k. A lot depends on the economy too. Watch what happens with the oil industry. Much of our economy revolves around it.

Start higher though; like at least $25k. Never know; you might have exactly what someone wants and just got a windfall. It happens.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
According to NADA, it's worth between $12k and $16k before the front end. I would bet that you won't get over $20k. More like $17k to $18 to the right person. You can buy that bike new for about $15k right now. And adding parts to them rarely returns all the investment. I strip mine back to stock before selling and sell add ons separate. It's the most bang for the buck in my experience. I just went through this last week. Most people just want the whole thing gone when it comes time to sell, which is the easiest.
That is a very nice looking scoot you have.
Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the offseason and the emergence of the Magnum won't help but I'm in no rush. To tell you the truth though I don't really see the Magnums as being much competition with just a 21", no rake, and those Hot Wheels paint jobs. So I agree, the right buyer will share my viewpoint. I think I will go ahead and post it up in the for sell section. Thanks again for the input guys.

Alex

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You gotta remember just cuz you modded it the way you like doesn''t mean that's what the next guy wants. Add-ons, mod's and personalization does not add any value to your bike. I'll gladly give you a buck. Seriously though, your personalizations add NO VALUE

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.

I've got a little one on the way so I'm going to quit riding on the street, I'll just leave the riding to track only with the GSX-R. Also, hoping to buy a bigger house next year so trying to free up some funds.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
You gotta remember just cuz you modded it the way you like doesn''t mean that's what the next guy wants. Add-ons, mod's and personalization does not add any value to your bike. I'll gladly give you a buck. Seriously though, your personalizations add NO VALUE

That's not an entirely true statement... The OP has added tasteful trendy mods. If you look at the way the market is trending, big wheel, upgraded stereo, lowered... The bike is beautiful and still a functioning long distance bagger. Now if he added a bunch of goofy personalized bolt on parts then he would be in the "your mods have no value category". Prob Job's bike is what appeals to the masses currently! If you don't believe me pick up a current Bagger magazine then reply back. My bike turns heads everywhere I go and have had 2 guys in my town build white big wheel XC's since they seen mine.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Sell the bike

Aaaahh. Sell the GSX-R. You'll get more enjoyment out of the VIC! Plus it's healthier! I have mine for health reasons! Nothing like a nice ride home on the Vic to relieve the stress from work!! See lowers stress.. therefore the bike is healthy for you!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
eBay and Some Other Suggestions

My $.02:

eBay?

I would suggest putting it on eBay Motors, perhaps in the spring, when bike fevers starts to ramp up (since you mention that you're in no hurry).

I sold one bike in the middle ages (pre eBay, pre CraigsList), traded in some others at dealers, but did sell one on eBay: my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, in 2007. What you have to do is some serious soul-searching, to figure out the absolute lowest amount you'd take for it. Then you just put that as a reserve -- you either get that much, or you get more, or your reserve's not met, and you start over (and you're out maybe $100, depending on the frills you used for your ad, such as running for it 10 days instead of a week, which is one of the things I'd suggest).

And you state that -- while you'll cooperate, e.g., you'll be available at home with proper notice for a shipper -- shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. And that full payment is required within a week or something like that. Both the buyer and the seller are nicely protected by eBay, if there's a problem with payment, or the item is not as described, and so forth.

In my case, I sold the Valk to someone in western Canada. AFTER he paid, as required, as a favor I agreed to meet in Buffalo, NY. I live about 300 miles east of that, rode out, and my wife followed me in our car. I had to get a certified title from my local DMV beforehand, but other than that things went smoothly. (The buyer had a relative in Canada, not far from Buffalo, that he flew out to, stayed there a bit, and rode the buy across Canada on the way home.)

CraigsList?:

I am very leery of CraigsList. I've read too many stories about thieves more or less casing the joint. So, with something rideable, if you go that route, I'd meet at some public place, e.g., a Micky Ds. I sold some car tires/rims, and a riding mower, through CraigsList, so I did meet the buyers at home, but I made sure I got a lot of information about them -- names, addresses, etc. -- and verified that the best I could beforehand. Be careful.

But I wouldn't use it, because, as I mentioned, eBay has a LOT more protection. And a bigger audience, too, for that matter.

Value?:

In terms of value, both 8BallHammer and Travis P make good, if conflicting, points. You can't expect to recoup most of the mods you make on a bike. That's just the way it is, mostly because if you add thousands of dollars in chrome, etc., and you wanted to charge even half of what you paid, someone who's not so thrilled with the changes can save those thousands of dollars by just buying a new or used bike that's closer to or completely stock. OTOH, as Travis mentioned, those are really tasteful mods you've made; they don't just compliment the bike, they bring it to the next level. So, IMHO, that's a break for you... but still don't expect to get what you put into it -- maybe, in your particular case, half that. And I'm talking parts; your labor is on the house.

Speaking of value, this month's Motorcycle Consumer News has its "Used Bike Value Guide Winter 2015 Edition," which they say is based on the NADA guide. They go through the usual disclaimers, re mileage, condition, national averages, yada yada. The listing for the '14 Cross Country is $16,180. As they mention, they can't list all the variations of each model, but yours is certainly not a base XC, with the cool blackout treatments, the paint, and the low mileage.

So I'd say that that's a ray of sunshine. OTOH, remember, averages, what's the economy doing, etc., really muddy the waters. And in the end, the bike is really worth only what someone is actually willing to spend, and what you're willing to accept for it. That's why I recommend that you figure that second part out -- that's your reserve -- and let the bidders figure out the first part for you. Hopefully, the first will be higher than the second.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would use CraigsList in area a days ride from you to get an idea on a reasonable selling price. Also pay a visit to local dealers and see what there are asking, do this knowing you'll have to price it a bit lower than the dealer.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Sadly you can forget the fair price idea. It's a motorcycle and the reality is in most cases you will lose your Ass no matter what brand etc. Its just that simple. Even looking at cycle trader, craigslist etc tells you very little being it never lists what they finally sold it for. If you go into it with low expectations you wont be nearly as disappointed.

Not trying to be a downer, just sold enough used bikes, boats etc to have been disappointed all too many times.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My $.02:

eBay?

I would suggest putting it on eBay Motors, perhaps in the spring, when bike fevers starts to ramp up (since you mention that you're in no hurry).

I sold one bike in the middle ages (pre eBay, pre CraigsList), traded in some others at dealers, but did sell one on eBay: my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, in 2007. What you have to do is some serious soul-searching, to figure out the absolute lowest amount you'd take for it. Then you just put that as a reserve -- you either get that much, or you get more, or your reserve's not met, and you start over (and you're out maybe $100, depending on the frills you used for your ad, such as running for it 10 days instead of a week, which is one of the things I'd suggest).

And you state that -- while you'll cooperate, e.g., you'll be available at home with proper notice for a shipper -- shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. And that full payment is required within a week or something like that. Both the buyer and the seller are nicely protected by eBay, if there's a problem with payment, or the item is not as described, and so forth.

In my case, I sold the Valk to someone in western Canada. AFTER he paid, as required, as a favor I agreed to meet in Buffalo, NY. I live about 300 miles east of that, rode out, and my wife followed me in our car. I had to get a certified title from my local DMV beforehand, but other than that things went smoothly. (The buyer had a relative in Canada, not far from Buffalo, that he flew out to, stayed there a bit, and rode the buy across Canada on the way home.)

CraigsList?:

I am very leery of CraigsList. I've read too many stories about thieves more or less casing the joint. So, with something rideable, if you go that route, I'd meet at some public place, e.g., a Micky Ds. I sold some car tires/rims, and a riding mower, through CraigsList, so I did meet the buyers at home, but I made sure I got a lot of information about them -- names, addresses, etc. -- and verified that the best I could beforehand. Be careful.

But I wouldn't use it, because, as I mentioned, eBay has a LOT more protection. And a bigger audience, too, for that matter.

Value?:

In terms of value, both 8BallHammer and Travis P make good, if conflicting, points. You can't expect to recoup most of the mods you make on a bike. That's just the way it is, mostly because if you add thousands of dollars in chrome, etc., and you wanted to charge even half of what you paid, someone who's not so thrilled with the changes can save those thousands of dollars by just buying a new or used bike that's closer to or completely stock. OTOH, as Travis mentioned, those are really tasteful mods you've made; they don't just compliment the bike, they bring it to the next level. So, IMHO, that's a break for you... but still don't expect to get what you put into it -- maybe, in your particular case, half that. And I'm talking parts; your labor is on the house.

Speaking of value, this month's Motorcycle Consumer News has its "Used Bike Value Guide Winter 2015 Edition," which they say is based on the NADA guide. They go through the usual disclaimers, re mileage, condition, national averages, yada yada. The listing for the '14 Cross Country is $16,180. As they mention, they can't list all the variations of each model, but yours is certainly not a base XC, with the cool blackout treatments, the paint, and the low mileage.

So I'd say that that's a ray of sunshine. OTOH, remember, averages, what's the economy doing, etc., really muddy the waters. And in the end, the bike is really worth only what someone is actually willing to spend, and what you're willing to accept for it. That's why I recommend that you figure that second part out -- that's your reserve -- and let the bidders figure out the first part for you. Hopefully, the first will be higher than the second.

This is all very good advice coming from an above average intelligence man!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I would talk to your local dealers and try and put it on consignment in there shop. I sold my first heavily modified Jackpot that way after waiting a few months and no bites. Put it in the dealer and 2 weeks later it was sold. They charged me $500.00
That will give you the impulse buy option and they will be able to offer financing which is one of the few ways your going to sell for top dollar.

The guy with cash in hand is going to beat you down so low because he can just go pay cash for a new one and have it modded any way he wants. Every Victory I have bought (all 6 of them) was cash and I payed thousands less than the owner wanted by making a super low offer and just waiting. If I got the bike great if not I kept riding the one I had.

They always said they would never sell it that cheap but a week or a month later my phone would ring and I was on my way to pick up my new bike that I was able to ride for 2-3years and sell for more than I payed because I had $$ in hand and was in no hurry to get a bike and when it was time to sell I could afford to sit on it till I got what I wanted.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I would talk to your local dealers and try and put it on consignment in there shop. I sold my first heavily modified Jackpot that way after waiting a few months and no bites. Put it in the dealer and 2 weeks later it was sold. They charged me $500.00
That will give you the impulse buy option and they will be able to offer financing which is one of the few ways your going to sell for top dollar.

The guy with cash in hand is going to beat you down so low because he can just go pay cash for a new one and have it modded any way he wants. Every Victory I have bought (all 6 of them) was cash and I payed thousands less than the owner wanted by making a super low offer and just waiting. If I got the bike great if not I kept riding the one I had.

They always said they would never sell it that cheap but a week or a month later my phone would ring and I was on my way to pick up my new bike that I was able to ride for 2-3years and sell for more than I payed because I had $$ in hand and was in no hurry to get a bike and when it was time to sell I could afford to sit on it till I got what I wanted.
That consignment strategy seems like a good idea to me, too. Never tried it myself, but at least you get a steady stream of viewers (depending on how busy the dealership is), and the idea of the dealer arranging financing is something I didn't know about (for consigned bikes).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts