Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am at the fuel economy of these bikes. The performance orientated Yamaha and Suzuki big fours I had could do 45 mpg with careful riding but this Victory has never returned less than 50 mpg,most of the time hovers around 57-60. Fantastic,tank range is nigh on 200 miles,wonder how the big bangers from Japan compare.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes I am at the fuel economy of these bikes. The performance orientated Yamaha and Suzuki big fours I had could do 45 mpg with careful riding but this Victory has never returned less than 50 mpg,most of the time hovers around 57-60. Fantastic,tank range is nigh on 200 miles,wonder how the big bangers from Japan compare.
That is quite impressive if you haven't confused SAE and Metric. So far, I average 36 miles per gallon. I do most of my driving in traffic, and accelerate very hard. Then, 36 is almost 3 times what I get in my truck...:D

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
48 - 50 on the highway under 80mph, 40 - 44 in the city rushing from light to light.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I get mid 40's on my bike...at 160 miles I had better start looking for a fuel stop......if you are getting 50's then either you have US Imperial gallon and international Gallon mixed up or you drive like my Grand-mother...LOL (Joking) :ltr:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I checked mine a while back and thought i got about mid 50's, but I have checked it the last two tanks and got 46Mpg and this tank was 162miles/3.37 gals= 48. I have also noticed that my light has come on the last two times at 160 even. So since its supposedly a 4.5 gal tank and i put in 3.37, does that mean i have about a Gal in there and can get to a station in the next 40 miles?
Have any of you ran it out of gas? How many miles can i do in a pinch(from light coming on till empty) if there is not a station around?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I checked mine a while back and thought i got about mid 50's, but I have checked it the last two tanks and got 46Mpg and this tank was 162miles/3.37 gals= 48. I have also noticed that my light has come on the last two times at 160 even. So since its supposedly a 4.5 gal tank and i put in 3.37, does that mean i have about a Gal in there and can get to a station in the next 40 miles?
Have any of you ran it out of gas? How many miles can i do in a pinch(from light coming on till empty) if there is not a station around?
Book says when the idiot light comes on you have 0.8 gallons left......thumb up

·
Registered
129 Posts
Book says when the idiot light comes on you have 0.8 gallons left......thumb up
Gotcha, I read alot of posts on boards saying that as soon as you see the light hurry to a station. Doesn't make complete sense if you have almost a Gal in there and typically do 40 MPG, I would think you could go at least 20 miles without a worry.I just hate to run the bike out of gas. I already had the pump rebuilt once.
Another thing i thought of after the earlier posts is that when i got the 50+ mpg, I was always using high test, the last two tanks have been 87. Ill try high test again on the next tank and see if it goes back up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first time my low fuel light came on I thought I had maybe another 35+ miles left to go. I ended up running out of fuel well before that distance.

Don’t know if that was a fluke but I wont tempt fate again. Yellow light = Fuel stop for me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Gotcha, I read alot of posts on boards saying that as soon as you see the light hurry to a station. Doesn't make complete sense if you have almost a Gal in there and typically do 40 MPG, I would think you could go at least 20 miles without a worry.I just hate to run the bike out of gas. I already had the pump rebuilt once.
Another thing i thought of after the earlier posts is that when i got the 50+ mpg, I was always using high test, the last two tanks have been 87. Ill try high test again on the next tank and see if it goes back up.
I only use premium fuel......still can't see 50+ mpg......are you a "granny driver"..?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I only use premium fuel......still can't see 50+ mpg......are you a "granny driver"..?
The way you ride can make a huge difference. I've laid the hammer for a whole tank, going short distances only (4 miles to work and back home each trip). I managed to drop my MPGs to low 30's, while on another trip I got mid 40's with a passenger on - riding well behaved, crusing 75mph on the freeway. Riding style is probably the biggest factor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mpg

When I go on trips and travel the back roads I get 50 MPG. That is doing around 50-60 mph. On the interstate my 07 Hammer gets 40-46 mpg. I'm happy with that. My room mate has a 06 kingpin, on our Mi. trip when I got 50mpg he got 58mpg WOW!!!! It is possible to get GREAT milage with our bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nah, wouldn't say that. When in traffic i flow with them about 65-70, if i get a nice open road Im about 75-80 with some playing at times up to about 95ish. I dont know if the premium helps or not But i do seem to remember the light coming on around 180miles when me and my buddy were out riding. Not the 160 it has been recently. Unfortunately i had filled up early today on the way home from work, so once i get the 87 octane out, ill throw some 93 back in there and find out. Its supposed to be nice/Hot this week, so ill most likely ride to work for the better part of the week. Still debating on tomorrow, calling for 101 degrees and feels like 106.:crzy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use premium 93oct I get 38.8 city/hwy and give her hell as much as I can. I wonder what it would be if I drove like Gram-paw?

·
Registered
116 Posts
...Unfortunately i had filled up early today on the way home from work, so once i get the 87 octane out, ill throw some 93 back in there and find out...
These bikes require 91+ octane don't they? Would be sweet if not.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Recommended octane vs lower octane is still open for debate. Most gas powered engine "experts" claim that you can run lower octane than recommended as long as your engine doesn't ping. Since gas in many places is hard to find without ethanol it changes things a bit; ethanol burns hotter and will limit preignition so you can run much lower octane without pinging. Note though that what works at high elevation may ping like crazy at sea level. Also note that at high elevations the octane ratings are lower than sea level. Where I am we have 85, 87, 89 and sometimes 91.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not granny riding at all,some of this is 80+ and lots of right hand to hear the lovely growl,remember 1 uk gallon =1.2 us gallon so when you get 40 mpg= my 48 mpg, using 95 ron (uk standard) fuel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
These bikes require 91+ octane don't they? Would be sweet if not.
Like said above, its still up for debate. I have read posts to fight for either side. Low VS high test. I have ran a few tanks of 87 and it doesn't seem to have any effects on the bike, doesn't sound any different, and still runs like a champ. Im not planning to run 87 every tank but a few here and a few there. If i see that i am getting better gas mileage out of the high test or if i notice that there is a running difference, then i will stick with it for every tank but have to see first.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sweet indeed! Someone ought to start a thread on Octane + Fuel economy + performance.... We might be able to solve the debate, at least for the 106/6 setup on the X bikes...?

The road glide I rented recently complained a lot when it didn't get top octane.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to run at least 91, (87, 89, 93 is common here) otherwise she pings BAD!:mad:

It isnt stock though.thumb up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts