Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been combing over the many videos on YouTube about the Victory motorcycles as I am getting very serious about getting one, and saw one where the guy states that the Victory bikes have a constantly engaged starter, and I believe he also mentioned a one way bearing.

Can someone shed any light on this as to how it works? I've googled this, but have not been able to find anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
.... constantly engaged starter, and I believe he also mentioned a one way bearing.

Thanks!
its something like the freewheeling of a bicycle - engages when pedaling/starting, and the disengages by freewheeling, its called a 'sprag clutch'.
The 'permanently engaged' refers to the starter pinion NOT being just pushed into the ringgear as it is done in cars and Harleys.
Hope that makes sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch explains the 'one way bearing'

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you, that does make sense. Appreciate the link you provided too. Thinking of this some more, it must be the way Big Dog motorcycle does it, as it appears that they too have the starter gear always engaged with the gear in the primary.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I had my starter clutch go bad on me in extreme cold this winter. When the dealer replaced it under warranty, I looked at the old one and it seemed fine to me. It is more or less some slightly tilted steel bits that engage by rocking into position on a smooth shaft. I find it a bit hard to describe but think how a pipe wrench engages. In one direction it just slips but in the other direction it grabs. In this case one direction is when the starter motor is running faster than the shaft on the engine and the other direction is when the shaft on the engine is running faster than the starter motor and the "clutch" just slips on the shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts