Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after spending the better part of last week in the hospital due to pneumonia, sinus, and ear infections (this is what happens when you're a tough guy and don't take care of the common cold), the first thing I do when I get home is to go check out my bike. I missed it!! I looking it over I find that the front brake lever has double the amount of freeplay in it than it should. Manual states it should be 3/4" (20mm). Well I pull it to 1.5" before resistance is even present. As I have the adjustment set to the closest possible, this translates into the lever only being about 1/4" from the grip before it would bottom out. Beside the fact this is not up to spec and something is obviously wrong, to me...this is a huge safety issue. I'm afraid if I really had to apply a lot of pressure, I wouldn't get the full breaking potential. So I take it in to the dealer on Saturday (the 11th). Calling them the day before gave them a chance to call Polaris, they suggested replacing the break fluid. So Saturday morning they say it should take an hour to hour and a half. I decide to leave it and go about my day. Not hearing from them after the aforementioned time, I decide to call them late Saturday afternoon. Brake fluid didn't do the trick so they need to contact Polaris on Monday. "OK" I say. FFWD to today, Wednesday, and the dealer has still not heard from Polaris, and my bike is still sitting in their shop.

So I'd like to know from those in the know...is this normal for Polaris or is the service dept. blowing smoke and dropping the ball on this? I find it hard to believe that Polaris would blow off the service dept. of one of their dealers for...going on 3 days now. But what do I know.

I know some out there are probably saying..."Just use the adjuster to increase the distance". Which would help, but that's only a band-aid as there is something wrong. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's either the caliper or the master cylinder because it's not leaking...not one drop. My bet is on the latter of those two.

I feel I'm at the point now that I have to either contact the service manager at the dealer, or Polaris themselves. I really don't want to get the guy that's been "helping" me in trouble with his manager (don't piss off you waiter type of thing), but like I said...I find it hard to believe Polaris would not respond to him. In trying to contact Polaris, all I find are general customer service numbers and email addys which I don't have a whole lot of faith in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
To start with changing the brake fluid out because you seem to have lost pressure seem odd. The first thing they should have done is checked the fluid level and the pads. As you pads wear your brake fluid level drop to compensate for the pad thickness. If your pads and fluid are both good and there weren't any leaks they should have tried to bleed your front brakes. If they couldn't get them to bleed or they found it lost pressure again they should have made a call to get approval to change your resevoir, calipers or both. Barring weekends they should have gotten a response back within 48 hours saying yea or nay.

I think your service may have slipped and not made the call when they said they did or you would have an answer by now. Another possibility is that they were told they could swap parts and they are delaying you because warranty work doesn't pay the same hourly rate they would get from a walk in.

Note "call" could mean telephoned or submitted a request via the Ask Polaris system.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To start with changing the brake fluid out because you seem to have lost pressure seem odd. The first thing they should have done is checked the fluid level and the pads. As you pads wear your brake fluid level drop to compensate for the pad thickness. If your pads and fluid are both good and there weren't any leaks they should have tried to bleed your front brakes. If they couldn't get them to bleed or they found it lost pressure again they should have made a call to get approval to change your resevoir, calipers or both. Barring weekends they should have gotten a response back within 48 hours saying yea or nay.
Sorry...forgot to mention in my haze that they did try to bleed the system first...same result. That's when they were advised to change the fluid out. This bike is almost brand new still...only 2,4xx miles on it so pads and fluids should be good correct?

Note "call" could mean telephoned or submitted a request via the Ask Polaris system.
When I called them today, the service person I'm dealing with says "Hold on, let me check my email". So there ya go. Sounds like he's not even calling them. In looking at Polaris's site, they give you a whole chain of command to go through before contacting them. So my next step is contacting the service manager at the dealership. Something I don't want to do, nor feel I should have to. I love it when adults have to babysit adults.

Thanks for your reply Ammo

**Edit: Just called the dealer again and had to speak to someone else. I asked them if it's normal for Polaris to take three days or more to reply to their dealers. He informed that depending on their work load it could take up to 3 or 4 days. For whatever that's worth.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I know some out there are probably saying..."Just use the adjuster to increase the distance". Which would help, but that's only a band-aid as there is something wrong. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out it's either the caliper or the master cylinder because it's not leaking...not one drop. My bet is on the latter of those two.
I think it may be in the design. My bar end pulls back about 2" before it bites. I did use the adjuster and there is still plenty of travel to get every ounce of braking available.

I'll be interested if / how they correct it for you. Be sure to report back.

Hope you're feeling better now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got back from my dealer this afternoon, wondering about this compensator rattle thing (It's already been there a week). I went loaded with info about the parts change mid year and some comments from this forum. The tech, Mike, called Vic while I was standing there. After about an hour of me, him and two Vic guys pissing on each other, Vic gave the go ahead to put in the new parts. The moral to this story is "the more you piss on a guy, the bigger/faster reaction you get.

I've got to add that Mike at Morris Motorsports in Chickasha OK. Is top notch. He knows his stuff and doesn't pull any punches.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The most important part of the game is finding someone who will go to bat for you and make sure the powers that be are aware that he/she isn't going to back down.

Of course those people are few and far between...

Get well soon Junk - in your situation you don't want to be passing your funk onto the people that need to be working on your scoot!

·
Registered
381 Posts
What the....?

Junk: I remember you taking the bike to those jokers recently for a major service. Did your brake lever suddenly change since then? I find it hard to believe they would change the fluid. That would be like saying your car engine won't run right so let's change the oil:ltr:
1st you diagnose the illness, then treat it. On my XC, there is a slack adjuster on top the lever. Have you adjusted it per the manual? Perhaps it just was moved somehow?
When I had my old Suzuki, it too had some (motor) issues. I took it to the same shop. They had the top end of the motor torn apart since they found a big difference in compression between cylinders. They contacted Suzuki, and after a few days were told by Suzuki that everything was normal & they should put it back together. The motor had a special "compression release" feature they knew nothing about.
Anyway good luck to you & stay healthy. Last weekend was nice riding weather.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as Vic customer service what a joke! I bought my CR in Sept. and i got the speedo reflash at that time. Dealer got an e-mail fom Vic saying they have a software issue on their end and not to do any more reflahes. I've contacted Vic twice and their response is call my dealer. The dealer doesn't know any more than their is a software issue on Vics end. They can't get an answer when the problem will be fixed. It pisses me off that Vic wont tell me anything about this other than call my dealer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Last year when I flamed Polaris/Victory for their complete and utter lack of professional service and support, I got shot up and left for dead on this very forum. It now seems that what I had to say was valid and is spreading quickly... As times get tougher and business profits fall off, so too the customer service those businesses are willing to perform even though they are obligated to do so by warranty. It is indicative of the leadership attitude of Polaris/Victory... it sucks!!! Always has, always will... learn to work on your own bike!

As to your brake lever problem... find the pressure switch in your system and replace it. It's probably got a slow leak. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's all about having a good dealer that will keep trying even when they say no. I have never dealt with Polaris concerning a victory issue, but for many years with Polaris snowmobiles. Just last week One of my new sleds was in for a issue with a non consistent drop in rpm's. I have been chasing this problem all season. I believed it to be a problem with the fuel injectors. After several back and forth phone calls, and Polaris wanting me to try every possible scenario first, which I already did. They replaced the injectors. But my dealer made MANY calls and had to be very persistent.

·
13,183 Posts
Un hook your brake like from the master cylinder. Now put your finger over the hole and pump your brake lever. If your finder gets pushed off then the master cylinder is doing its job.
The brake lever should only have to travel about a 1/8" of a inch.

In the front of your owners manual there is a number for the national highway saftey board call them and file a conplaint. You might just save a life or get a recall going.

By the way the more you stand your ground the more you get.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Junk: I remember you taking the bike to those jokers recently for a major service. Did your brake lever suddenly change since then?
I honestly can't say when this happened, I just noticed it the other day when I got home.

Have you adjusted it per the manual? Perhaps it just was moved somehow?
There is no adjustment for this lever. It is what it is. I wish there were though.

As to your brake lever problem... find the pressure switch in your system and replace it. It's probably got a slow leak. Good luck!
I would have no problem performing this repair myself. But to purchase the parts??? Um no. This isn't gonna get fixed on my dime. This is a warranty issue and I'm not paying for any parts 2500 miles after driving it off the lot.

As an update, I called the dealer again today. He is saying that they (Polaris) are leaning towards replacing or rebuilding the master cylinder. But they are checking with their R&D to make sure the manual is correct in it's statement of the freeplay. So I said "OK, so are they still thinking about it? What's the time frame here?" Of course he doesn't know, but he's going to try to call them today and "harass" them...again. Then proceeds to tell me that I can pick the bike up if I want as it's not a safety issue. HUH? Maybe I'm being a little too nit picky, but how are brakes not a safety issue? I mean if it has failed to this point, what's to stop the master cylinder from failing all the way???

TorqueMonster...may I ask what number you called with your ordeal??

Anyway, so there's what's going on today. I'll keep you all updated. Relax, grab some wac, sit back and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
VJ nailed it - stand your ground and keep in the techs @$$ until he learns to do the same with Victory.

As far as rebuilding the MC goes and riding they bike while they're waiting for an answer promptly tell them No!!! Rebuilding a MC with that little usage is rediculous because when they rebuild all they do is replace seals while does absolutely nothing if the bore is the real problem. If the bore is mis-shaped or deformed you could replace seals daily and still lose pressure. And riding home will quickly turn into out of sight out of mind. Keep taking up bay space and they'll fix it so they can move it out.

Oh yea, ask for a loaner bike too. You're strategy should be to make it as inconveinient for them as it is for you - let them share the pain with you!

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
With a new car you get something else to drive, Would that not be a bitching point to get something to ride while they fix it.
? Better business bureau is a great place to file a complaint if it does not get fixed. I have gotten fast results from the Company that I complained about. They do not like to lose their " A " rating, when you file a complaint it goes national board and everyone sees it..

·
Registered
89 Posts
All this trouble for what seems like simple repairs is really begining to bother me. I would be curious to see if anyone has been keeping score on things like this.
Like is it 1 in 100 bikes that have these odd things going on?
1 in 25.......better or worse..........with my luck I would get one of the lemons and it would be in the shop more then my garage and that wouldnt sit well with me at all.
Ive been known to fix things all my life, and thats fine if its out of warrenty, but if its covered and sits in the shop for an ungodly amount of time I would begin to get very aggitated.
At this point im rather glad my plans have not come together yet and I have another 3 or 4 months to monitor this thread and others...
Especialy if I paid for any extra coverage...oh that would piss me off

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Utah Ed,
I watch 3 different Victory forums and try to pay attention to how many people are having problems with XC/XR/XCT (while not counting the ones twice that post on different forums).

To date there have been less than 20 people that have mentioned compensator noise, 1 person that had a clutch go out after a few miles, and 2 people that had a saddlebag fall off. There have also been about a dozen people that had loose battery connections, 1 person that had a bad tire and (guessing here) at least 20 people that are members of the TOC (tip over club).

Nobody knows production numbers so looking at a minimum of 1000ea 2010 XR/XC's, 2000ea 2011 XR/XC's, 1000ea 2012 XR/XC/XCT's or approximately 9000 Cross Bikes built. There were approx. 21 tough fixes (compensator and clutch), 2 lost saddlebags (possibly faulty dzus fasteners) and a dozen people with loose connections (blaim dealer setup) you have a total of 35 problems which is very small.

Note that I am not counting the TOC members even though some blaimed the kickstand because I am a member of the club.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Utah Ed,
I watch 3 different Victory forums and try to pay attention to how many people are having problems with XC/XR/XCT (while not counting the ones twice that post on different forums).

To date there have been less than 20 people that have mentioned compensator noise, 1 person that had a clutch go out after a few miles, and 2 people that had a saddlebag fall off. There have also been about a dozen people that had loose battery connections, 1 person that had a bad tire and (guessing here) at least 20 people that are members of the TOC (tip over club).

Nobody knows production numbers so looking at a minimum of 1000ea 2010 XR/XC's, 2000ea 2011 XR/XC's, 1000ea 2012 XR/XC/XCT's or approximately 9000 Cross Bikes built. There were approx. 21 tough fixes (compensator and clutch), 2 lost saddlebags (possibly faulty dzus fasteners) and a dozen people with loose connections (blaim dealer setup) you have a total of 35 problems which is very small.

Note that I am not counting the TOC members even though some blaimed the kickstand because I am a member of the club.

Over all this doesnt sound like a bad ratio at all.
I am rather suprized actually to find it that low, but the question that is still hanging over me is........
of all those odd and hard fixes, how many had to play this stupid game of "wait and see" for either Corp. to approve repairs, and/or the lazy dealership to follow up?

To alot of people this may seem petty on my part, but from my stand point, the dealer here is less then a year old, there abouts, so they have no reputation as far as im concerned, and if all these issues stem more from poor dealer representation on behalf of thier customer to Corp. then I will be looking more at maybe buying somewhere other then here that holds a good reputation. If it is more about Corp. dropping the ball, leaving customers hanging for days, weeks, months without any word, .......well that also will affect my desicion overall.

Harley may get a bad rap about repairs being expensive, as well as thier maint.services, but I know first hand they (local dealer) reacts very fast to issues concerning warrenty issues and gets things resolved within days......not months. True there are bad Harley dealers out there im sure, but speaking localy only, this is something that could push me back to looking at them again. Just sayin.......
In order to stay with an "American made product" I have 2 choices, 3 if Indian truely returns strong, but they are now owned by Polaris so again the wait and see attitude bothers me, and since Ive never been a big fan of the "Indian look", that leaves me with 2 to consider.

Reguardless, knowing me and the fact that at this point in my life, I have nothing but time (disabled/retired) and if I were to get a lemon (reguardless of which brand) I would become a "loud" and perminent fixture at the front door of the dealer every morning, bothering anyone and everyone until I got the answer I want, and deserve after spending 20K + for product.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Over all this doesnt sound like a bad ratio at all.
I am rather suprized actually to find it that low, but the question that is still hanging over me is........
of all those odd and hard fixes, how many had to play this stupid game of "wait and see" for either Corp. to approve repairs, and/or the lazy dealership to follow up?

To alot of people this may seem petty on my part, but from my stand point, the dealer here is less then a year old, there abouts, so they have no reputation as far as im concerned, and if all these issues stem more from poor dealer representation on behalf of thier customer to Corp. then I will be looking more at maybe buying somewhere other then here that holds a good reputation. If it is more about Corp. dropping the ball, leaving customers hanging for days, weeks, months without any word, .......well that also will affect my desicion overall.

Harley may get a bad rap about repairs being expensive, as well as thier maint.services, but I know first hand they (local dealer) reacts very fast to issues concerning warrenty issues and gets things resolved within days......not months. True there are bad Harley dealers out there im sure, but speaking localy only, this is something that could push me back to looking at them again. Just sayin.......
In order to stay with an "American made product" I have 2 choices, 3 if Indian truely returns strong, but they are now owned by Polaris so again the wait and see attitude bothers me, and since Ive never been a big fan of the "Indian look", that leaves me with 2 to consider.

Reguardless, knowing me and the fact that at this point in my life, I have nothing but time (disabled/retired) and if I were to get a lemon (reguardless of which brand) I would become a "loud" and perminent fixture at the front door of the dealer every morning, bothering anyone and everyone until I got the answer I want, and deserve after spending 20K + for product.
I's NOT being petty IMHO, service after the sale is as important to many people as the sale is to the Dealer and Polaris.

I for one can't stand poor customer service regardless if it's the Dealer or Polaris, there's no excuse for it period.

We all work hard for our money and we should expect and receive a high quality product when spending this amount of money on a product.

Sure some defects make there way past quality control, they always do, but that's when both the Dealers and Polaris needs to step up to the xxxx plate and help out the customer, it's their xxxx responsibility to do it not to mention they are hurting their reputation which is extremely hard to build but easily ripped apart.

I'm now reconsidering purchasing a new Victory myself as CS is extremely important to me, so wake up dealers and Polaris. Maybe I should just state knock off the BS and do your job and what's right by the people that are keeping you in bussiness.

Maybe I'll purchase a vehicle instead, just sayin!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts