Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its looking like time for a new rear tire. So I took a gander at the front also. It looks to have good tread left, but the date code is like 3914, so almost 3yr old. I am noticing some cracking at the bottom of the treads. So I figure I'll just change a pair. thinking I'll move from radials to bias ply, everything I have had before was bias ply. Don't know if I'll notice a big difference or not. I'm not a huge twisty guy living in central Fl where our idea if twisties is an on ramp unfortunately. Am I going to notice a huge difference in handling? I am looking at the Continental Milestone tires. I had Conti way back and they were a very good touring tire. To do both tires in a radial I'm not liking my lack of choices. I dont care fro the Dunlaps that are on it now. They have the tread cupping going on that I have experienced before on my RSV. The new E-4 has no rain grove in center of the tire, which for me is a must in Fla.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOW SO I'm going to be the guinea pig on this deal I guess. Dyna beads showed up today. Tires should be here by Monday I think.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Cool, let us know how the tires hold up....

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I ran into some handling problems putting a set of bias-ply Mich Commander II's on my XC. The #1 issue was high speed wobble the tires caused in turns. Long sweeping highway turns were the worst, I had some hairy moments on those tires. I also got poor "road feel" and poor wear. As the set wore and got more miles on them the issues got worse. I switched back to Avon Cobra radials and my bike has been on rails ever since.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about going with some Shinkos. I have had decent performance from the ones I had. But even though they show up on sites as"fitting" our bikes, go to their site and look at the load rating. They are like a 76 or 78 and our bikes require an 81. They will probably work OK 1 up, but load another human and gear and your overloading. So handeling goes away, and durability. I think the MC 2 are rated 80. I hope they work OK as I sure cant afford to drop $300 on an OOPS and add to that a new pair of skins.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Last spring I threw on a pair of Metzler 888's. I'll hi-jack your thread for a quick review. A little over 7,000 miles on the tires now and they still look pretty good. Of course the dual compound tire develops that riding ridge in the center of the rear tire and you know it in big turns as the tires growl at you when those grooves contact the pavement. But you don't give up any traction, the tires seem to hold a good line on turns and even smooth out the moderate tar snakes (they have it all over the E3's for handling the tar snakes)I've only been in the rain a few times but I slow way down on wet roads so I can't say I've tested them in the water. On a side note they didn't do a damn thing for me when I had a senior moment and stalled the bike, got flustered and ended up laying the bike over at an intersection by our house :frown
Would I recommend the 888's? Sure, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well one of the pair was here today when I got home from work. First thing I did was check the born on date. 1014 !!! REally the ones I have on now are newer than that. So I fired off an e-mail to find out what the deal is.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I second the Avons that @PaiN recommended .... They are an awesome set of tires . Affordable too .

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Read some good reviews of the Shinko 777,
Anyone here tried em?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, let us know how the tires hold up....

Andre
TaPaTaLk
OK I know the thread is like a year old. But hey I have info now on the Continental tires. A year of riding them here in Fla, A trip with wife and gear to TN, NC, SC and back around town and several in state trips later approx 11k and the rear is about 1/32 from the recommended tread depth of changing per tha manual. I'm sitting at 5/64 and 3/32 is limit. I think I killed some of the wear with over inflation early in its life. My RSV I had to run about 2lb over what OEM recommended pressure was in rear. I did that here and I think it was to much as the center started to show wear kind of early, so I dialed it back a little. Front tire still looks great. So what am I gong to run next? HMMMM I think I'm going to order up a Shinko 777 and some Dynabeads today. Found a rear tire at American Moto Tire for $104 shipped. Also I think I'm going to order a TPMS for the bike. Thought I was going to go with the FOBO deal but thru some conversations with others, I dont always have phone in view or available. So if something went south I'd be screwed. Unit I'm looking at has a display about the size of my watch, can clamp to handle bars in site and displays both tire pressures at same time.

So overall on the Conti a good tire. I probably killed a couple K out of it due to over inflation. I would say this tire normally would do 12-14k. Depending on where you locate one and price may fit your need.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Nice review, so you had a good run with your tires ... Perfect ...

I run my tires
Minimum 40 psi
Maximum 45 psi

And that saves tires .... Seems to me recommend tire pressures are just a bit on the low side ... As a sample MAX tire pressure is rated 55 psi, of course that is just for safety reasons that no numbnut is riding with 66 psi and kils himself

I found a supplier of shinkos in Singapore and was thinking to start using them myself, after i finished all the stock i have in my garage of the Metz for 2 vics ... They even have 250 mm tires ... So i no need to order them in the USA anymore, but knowing my luck, tbat ain't gonne happen, hahahah

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts