Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't imagine a simpler way of plugging a nail hole on a tubeless tire. Pretty cool and affordable at $30. They even have a few left over plastic models for $20. I couldn't resist getting one.

http://www.dynaplug.com/

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I'm either lazy or efficient - haven't figured that out yet. Either way, I want it to be simple, no matter what. So, I have been packing around the original plastic Dynaplug since I first heard about it. What's not to like about a plugger that will have you rolling in just a few moments with precious little loss of air?

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I settled on this one as it had good reviews, quality parts and had a nice pouch.

View attachment 19346
It does look like a nice kit and it probably has different sized plugs vs the one size with the Dynaplug kit so for those who prefer a more robust although more complicated solution; your kit is definitely a better solution.

I like the Dynaplug kit for a couple of reasons. The small size all in one compact kit and no glue or need to ream the hole first to prep the hole for the plug. I think the Dynaplug kit would be a great addition to the kit you have and probably fit right in it for those times when a simple one size solution would work just fine.

I also think about the ladies and guys who aren't very mechanically inclined. They can remember how to pull a nail and insert the plug but might need some written instructions and more time to use the more robust kit.

I also carry the little air compressor that "Slime" sells at Walmart. Handy, small, and efficient. Perfect for a limited space like a saddlebag.

It's too bad the hand air pump for the shock doesn't have an option to pump a higher volume of air vs a higher pressure of air but low volume. It would make it even easier and more space saving; at least for a bike. A car would still need a powered pump.

At any rate; having more options is always a good thing...

·
Registered
530 Posts
It does look like a nice kit and it probably has different sized plugs vs the one size with the Dynaplug kit so for those who prefer a more robust although more complicated solution; your kit is definitely a better solution.

I like the Dynaplug kit for a couple of reasons. The small size all in one compact kit and no glue or need to ream the hole first to prep the hole for the plug. I think the Dynaplug kit would be a great addition to the kit you have and probably fit right in it for those times when a simple one size solution would work just fine.

I also think about the ladies and guys who aren't very mechanically inclined. They can remember how to pull a nail and insert the plug but might need some written instructions and more time to use the more robust kit.

I also carry the little air compressor that "Slime" sells at Walmart. Handy, small, and efficient. Perfect for a limited space like a saddlebag.

It's too bad the hand air pump for the shock doesn't have an option to pump a higher volume of air vs a higher pressure of air but low volume. It would make it even easier and more space saving; at least for a bike. A car would still need a powered pump.

At any rate; having more options is always a good thing...
All the plugs are the same size. It comes with a small insert that has the instructions on it and might be laminated if I remember correctly, I do need to get a slime compressor down the road though because the shock pump will wear you out trying to pump more than a few pounds in a tire.

That looks like a hole reamer, (to rough the hole edges), in your pic and I have always used that tool in my cars tires prior to using the Dynaplug and never had any problems with a tire leaking afterwords.

I like the plug Idea due to the fact the the pressure in the tire actually pushes on the plug to seal the tire, a neat invention as it seems logically that it should work well due to the design so I thought I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Want a good and cheap compressor? Pick up one on sale a Harbor Freight for around $6. Remove the bulky plastic housing and viola! there's a tiny, but adequate compressor inside. Roll up the power cord and hose and stuff it in a camera type bag along with the Dynaplug kit and you are well prepared. I did that very thing and in addition, I replaced the cigarette lighter plug with an SAE connector in order to utilize the pigtail that came with my bike. When using the compressor, you'll want to place it on something so that it won't suck up dirt.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Want a good and cheap compressor? Pick up one on sale a Harbor Freight for around $6. Remove the bulky plastic housing and viola! there's a tiny, but adequate compressor inside. Roll up the power cord and hose and stuff it in a camera type bag along with the Dynaplug kit and you are well prepared. I did that very thing and in addition, I replaced the cigarette lighter plug with an SAE connector in order to utilize the pigtail that came with my bike. When using the compressor, you'll want to place it on something so that it won't suck up dirt.
Got a link to the one you are thinking of?

I'm guessing a lot of folks are like me and more visual than others.

Someone can explain something to me until the cows come home but until I can actually see it; it might as well be in Martian.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks like a hole reamer, (to rough the hole edges), in your pic and I have always used that tool in my cars tires prior to using the Dynaplug and never had any problems with a tire leaking afterwords.
Yes it is. I hope the picture wasn't too confusing. It's suppose to show the the difference between their product and the old style product.

FWIW I think using a reamer is a good idea for making sure there is good adhesion. I am assuming, maybe wrongly, this new product doesn't need the reamer to melt/weld the rubber plug to the existing tire.

I am not an expert and haven't even played one on TV but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Not really but I did give my pups a kiss on the lips which is almost as good in my book. :D

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I settled on this one as it had good reviews, quality parts and had a nice pouch.

View attachment 19346
Been using that one for years and the best part have not had to use it on my Ride after having 2 flats in less than 6 months time just before i bought it .. But have used it twice on other Riders Bikes .. Works Great as long as have a Tubeless Tire .. Have the Slime Compressor as well to pump the Tire Back up .. Both are always in my Saddlebags ..

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Got a link to the one you are thinking of?
I wish I knew what you want a link to. If its the compressor, any cheap one without a gauge will do. Just remove the plastic shell and its a lot less bulky. thumb up

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts