Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across this informative article on Corona Virus. It is a translation from Russian of an Interview with Academician and Chief Senior Pulmonologist of Russia, Alexander Chuchalin. If you understand Russian there is a link to the original video of the interview that this was translated from at the beginning of the article.

I found some good information in it. Lot of people guessing about the disease, apparently this guy not so much.

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
Kinda technical but definitely a good read Joe.

As you know the doctors in Italy are having a huge moral dilemma concerning who gets the treatments with the finite resources they have. Have a look if you please. I wouldn't want to be in their position to make these decisions.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good article.
Government involvement and regulation of healthcare has destroyed the healthcare system here since the 50's.. As an example of what I am referring to, government regulations prevent new hospitals from being opened up without the "permission" of existing hospitals in the area. It is a form of protectionism that rewards those who already are in business by guarantying they never have to fear any competition.
Bad inefficient hospitals don't have to worry about new more efficient competitors putting them out of business because they are bad businessman.

Imagine how expensive it would be to get a faucet fixed if new plumbers had to get permission from the existing plumbing businesses in an area before they could open a competing plumbing business. As a consumer you'd need to take out a second mortgage to get your facet washers replaced and wait several months for the procedure to be scheduled and performed.

Because government protectionism is rampant in healthcare there will be shortages in beds and ventilators here putting our doctors in similar situations to the Italian doctors if this pandemic does take off here.

Italy's medicine is socialized like ours and ultimately their politicians run the show same as ours. A lot of their taxpayers are dying right now because of that. We could be in the same boat shortly.

If that does happen, government will spin it that the problem was there wasn't enough government involvement. It will be the same tale both in Italy and here. Never waste a good pandemic eh. LOL

Here is an article explaining why Korea is doing better against the pandemic than Italy. It has to do with their healthcare market is more "free" than the Italians.
The result is life vs death.

I have one of those sinus rinse bottles that the doctor in the first article was referring to. I used them for years and they seemed to work. Got out of the habit and haven't used it for quite a while. I'm going to start using it again. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Today 3/16/20 Ron Paul published this article. Formerly an Army doctor who served in Vietnam as well as a long time practicing physician in Texas, he is intimately familiar with disease. As a former senior congressman he often spoke out about every government's policy of "no crisis should go to waste" and well, here we go again:

The Corona virus Hoax
Ron Paul

Governments love crises because when the people are fearful they are more willing to give up freedoms for promises that the government will take care of them. After 9/11, for example, Americans accepted the near-total destruction of their civil liberties in the PATRIOT Act’s hollow promises of security.
It is ironic to see the same Democrats who tried to impeach President Trump last month for abuse of power demanding that the Administration grab more power and authority in the name of fighting a virus that thus far has killed less than 100 Americans.
Declaring a pandemic emergency on Friday, President Trump now claims the power to quarantine individuals suspected of being infected by the virus and, as Politico writes, “stop and seize any plane, train or automobile to stymie the spread of contagious disease.” He can even call out the military to cordon off a US city or state.
State and local authoritarians love panic as well. The mayor of Champaign, Illinois, signed an executive order declaring the power to ban the sale of guns and alcohol and cut off gas, water, or electricity to any citizen. The governor of Ohio just essentially closed his entire state.
The chief fearmonger of the Trump Administration is without a doubt Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health. Fauci is all over the media, serving up outright falsehoods to stir up even more panic. He testified to Congress that the death rate for the coronavirus is ten times that of the seasonal flu, a claim without any scientific basis.
On Face the Nation, Fauci did his best to further damage an already tanking economy by stating, “Right now, personally, myself, I wouldn’t go to a restaurant.” He has pushed for closing the entire country down for 14 days.
Over what? A virus that has thus far killed just over 5,000 worldwide and less than 100 in the United States? By contrast, tuberculosis, an old disease not much discussed these days, killed nearly 1.6 million people in 2017. Where’s the panic over this?
If anything, what people like Fauci and the other fearmongers are demanding will likely make the disease worse. The martial law they dream about will leave people hunkered down inside their homes instead of going outdoors or to the beach where the sunshine and fresh air would help boost immunity. The panic produced by these fearmongers is likely helping spread the disease, as massive crowds rush into Walmart and Costco for that last roll of toilet paper.
The madness over the coronavirus is not limited to politicians and the medical community. The head of the neoconservative Atlantic Council wrote an editorial this week urging NATO to pass an Article 5 declaration of war against the COVID-19 virus! Are they going to send in tanks and drones to wipe out these microscopic enemies?
People should ask themselves whether this coronavirus “pandemic” could be a big hoax, with the actual danger of the disease massively exaggerated by those who seek to profit – financially or politically – from the ensuing panic.
That is not to say the disease is harmless. Without question people will die from coronavirus. Those in vulnerable categories should take precautions to limit their risk of exposure. But we have seen this movie before. Government over-hypes a threat as an excuse to grab more of our freedoms. When the “threat” is over, however, they never give us our freedoms back.

(Republished from The Ron Paul Institute by permission of author or representative)

from here: The Coronavirus Hoax

P.S.
"Every year, roughly 1.3 million people die in car accidents worldwide – an average of 3,287 deaths per day" from Here.
Yet I don't know anyone who lays awake worrying about driving to the market to pick up groceries.
I'm going to go have a Corona and work on building up my immunity.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another good article on a similar vein:

From the article:
"This past weekend, once again the Fed announced a $5 trillion bailout and it went completely unnoticed by the public because we are distracted by a “world ending virus”. The largest financial bailout in the history of the world and nobody knows it happened because the focus is on a virus that to date, has resulted in 50 deaths in America (at the same time 8,000 deaths have resulted from the flu in America)."
The article addresses why the death rate is elevated in Italy also.

Buying a six-pack of corona and a few limes tomorrow, Planning on working on a home brewed vaccine.
:)

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
Another good article on a similar vein:

From the article:
"This past weekend, once again the Fed announced a $5 trillion bailout and it went completely unnoticed by the public because we are distracted by a “world ending virus”. The largest financial bailout in the history of the world and nobody knows it happened because the focus is on a virus that to date, has resulted in 50 deaths in America (at the same time 8,000 deaths have resulted from the flu in America)."
The article addresses why the death rate is elevated in Italy also.

Buying a six-pack of corona and a few limes tomorrow, Planning on working on a home brewed vaccine.
:)
I like articles that make one think but I do appreciate some level of proof as well so I'll tuck this one away for now and see how it all plays out. I'm thinking there's a grain of truth to it though.

Sometimes bad things just happen like with previous pandemics. Sad and tragic things. Sometimes it's all about getting through it intact with your family and friends (hopefully).

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like articles that make one think but I do appreciate some level of proof as well..... /snip/.....
This may be more to your liking Bob.
enjoy:
""
In CDC’s worst-case scenario, CDC expects more than 150–200 million infections within the US. This estimate is hundreds of times bigger than China’s infection rate (30% of our population compared to 0.006% in China). Does that really sound plausible to you? China has a sub-par healthcare system, attempted to suppress the news about COVID-19 early on, a lack of transparency, an authoritarian government, and millions of Chinese traveling for the Lunar Festival at the height of the outbreak. In the US, we have a significant lead time, several therapies proving successful, transparency, a top tier healthcare system, a democratic government, and media providing ample accountability.

Infection isn’t our primary risk at this point.
""

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not exactly a socially acceptable answer but people are going to die.
Without a 2 week quarantine for all, people will die quicker.
With the quarantine in place almost the same amount of people die but over a longer period of time. This is what "flattening the curve actually means.
You take the peak away and just extend it over a longer time.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You take the peak away and just extend it over a longer time.
It would have been much easier to do that had the CDC not dropped the ball by trying to develop the virus tests itself then ordering those who did develop tests faster than the CDC to cease and desist instead of certifying those tests so they could be released to the medical community and be available for the first suspected cases that needed to be tested.

Early reliable testing being extremely important when trying to contain a pandemic. Being behind the curve, as we are now is extremely costly in $$ and human lives. This mass shut down of the economy might have been avoided if the government had simply gotten out of the way and helped when needed.

This a podcast by a couple of doctors discussing how the CDC , FDA and government in general mishandled this pandemic.
They also dicusss the CDC issuing a cease and desist order to a university lab in the US that early on created a working test and offered it to the CDC in an attempt to prevent what we are facing now. Lot of good info in this podcast.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A series of two articles on how not to address this crisis. With links to studies documenting why what we are doing is the wrong answer.
Start here:
Finish here:

Had some problems with these articles until I began to go through the linked studies and supporting documentation then realized that this guy has a point, actually several excellent ones.

If your home trying to avoid getting the virus get outside and get some sun.
From the articles:
"Sunlight is the predominant factor

The over-arching governor of this infectious lower respiratory tract disease, that is far less deadly than many prior influenza epidemics (SARS coronavirus; H5N1 flu virus), is sunlight."

He sites peer reviewed studies to backup this and most other statements he makes.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tuesday 24th and our death rate is far below death rates in Italy and Spain.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a clear simple explanation of the how's and why's of bailouts and the consequences of them:

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
Here is a clear simple explanation of the how's and why's of bailouts and the consequences of them:

Sounds like the solution to this problem is to simply halt all debt payments until the big wheel of the economy gets moving again.

·
Premium Member
13,710 Posts
Bahrain-Belgium-report good results with Trumps suggested drugs:
Sounds hopeful for sure. I can't believe the governor if Nevada prohibited the use of these drugs on covid 19 patients. He's a hardcore insane leftist of course so we really can't expect any rational thought from him but still; to literally murder people like that should have a consequence. I suggest a hanging in the town square but it's ultimately up to the people of Nevada to decide.

By the way; Zero Hedge is an iffy site at best. No better than snopes.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like the solution to this problem is to simply halt all debt payments until the big wheel of the economy gets moving again.
Unfortunately that wheel will most likely be quite slow to start turning again and many portions of it will be missing once it does begin to roll. Lot of bankruptcies and clearing of debt in the future I think . There are many new companies, landlords, etc that can't handle a change in cash flow right now. In good times there always are.
They will be victims of the system.
There are also great many zombie corporations that have been the walking dead, no real savings, surviving on cash flow and credit. This will break them.

Fear and uncertainty are powerful forces in humans.
Stimulus won't have the desired effect in general.
Money from the government given to individuals will be saved as much as possible because they preceive the future to beuncertain. What they spend their money on and when, will be different as a result. Some business sectors will see their cash flow dwindle and not return for an unknown amount of time. If they are heavily leveraged they may falter.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will spin up and things will hardly miss a beat.
We'll see soon.

·
13,254 Posts
Here in MN. the governor has said stay at how for the next two weeks and has closed everything that's not essential. I don't mind staying at home when it's my idea but now that I'm told it's driving me crazy.
This virus I think will be around the whole year. The new station is not helping

Reactions: NAB
1 - 20 of 96 Posts