Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
Reactions: Joe_

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
Our coronavirus cases have gone up drastically, 61 Tuesday and 77 Wednesday. 3 quarters of the cases are 30 years old and down. I wasn't expecting this surge. So basically all the lock down did is prolong the pandemic.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Our coronavirus cases have gone up drastically, 61 Tuesday and 77 Wednesday. 3 quarters of the cases are 30 years old and down. I wasn't expecting this surge. So basically all the lock down did is prolong the pandemic.
Perhaps I am confused but wasn't the main point of the lock down to "prolong the pandemic" or using the oft-quoted words, "flatten the curve"? The goal was not so much to reduce the number of persons infected with the virus but, rather, to spread the cases out over a longer period of time so as to not overwhelm the capacity of our medical system. Is "flattening the curve" the same as "prolonging the pandemic"? If so, then perhaps the lock downs accomplished exactly what the goal was.

I do not support the lock downs at all. I believe the lives saved were not worth the damage to our economy and that of the rest of the world. Yes, this is a cold and callous opinion but only on a simple cursory view. If you add up all the pain and suffering that is likely to occur around the world for the next 20-50 years it will be huge compared to the loss of life had the lock downs not occurred. Look merely at the US debt. This is a catastrophe waiting in the wings and when it hits, people will wish they only had a global Covid19 pandemic to worry about. It is popular to say things like, "stuff can be replaced but people cannot". I have a very different view. It takes very unskilled labor and is very easy to make more people. It is our institutions, culture, and way of life that are difficult to replace.

However, if it is the goal of the "powers that be" to flatten the curve (prolong the pandemic?), the lock downs seem to be effective at accomplishing this.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,663 Posts
A coworker has same opinion that those who die from this are a drain on society and economy anyway so this virus is helpful.

The stupidity of the $600 bonus unemployment bailout will be felt for many years to come. I'll be paying for that until I'm old and gray. I do believe helping those that really need it but that was just dumb paying people more to stay home than work.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yep. Life is good.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
Last week we had a big spike in cases with a one day new cases of 105. No deaths and hospitalizations low, 18, 19 people. 3/4 of the cases are people from 20 to 29 and many have been linked back to a couple of bars. We did have 3 non-violent protest with 250 to 300 people. I feel that that contributed to the higher numbers, plus they have almost tripled the number of test. We only had 32 confirmed cases yesterday which is low compared to the daily cases last week. The Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission has suspended liquor licenses at bars in many towns around the state due to not complying with the state guidelines for reopening their businesses. So it goes on, but I am having a few friends over next Sunday for rib eyes and cocktails.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I got tested today. That test is not fun.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So far avoiding the testing. Masks required at work all day though which sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
China needs to be punished world wide for keeping the lid on this virus. I never dreamed of anything like this happening. I know that there are several vaccines in the third stage of testing. But have not seen anything about them in a couple of weeks. Many of my friends are wanting to go on trips, but not sure if they should. All of us have canceled trips over the last few months. I had several friends over yesterday and next Sunday we are cooking out here. My daughter called me yesterday to tell me happy fathers day. She lives about seventy miles from here and said she wouldn't come here because the virus cases have been so high. Which is probably good because here husband has some medical problems. It could be bad for him if he got the China Virus. Hell our government let the have millions of our factories/jobs. Now look what they gave to us. Just a rant.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you really want to punish the Chinese you'll also be punishing the US rich guys. You need to tax all Asian imports high enough that it makes more sense to make the products at home. The "World Economy" that's been sold for the last couple of decades is BS.

China and the rest of Asia didn't steal the jobs. They were moved to the Pacific Rim by US CEO's who wanted cheaper labour with no environmental concerns and are laughing because the general population are blaming the wrong people. China can retaliate financially by dumping US dollars but I think the short term pain would be worth strengthening the home markets.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
If you really want to punish the Chinese you'll also be punishing the US rich guys. You need to tax all Asian imports high enough that it makes more sense to make the products at home. The "World Economy" that's been sold for the last couple of decades is BS.

China and the rest of Asia didn't steal the jobs. They were moved to the Pacific Rim by US CEO's who wanted cheaper labour with no environmental concerns and are laughing because the general population are blaming the wrong people. China can retaliate financially by dumping US dollars but I think the short term pain would be worth strengthening the home markets.

Just my opinion.
Our government should have prevented companies from going to China by higher taxes in the beginning. Yes the world economy is BS. The USA is importing way more than we are exporting in most cases. That's why President Trump has worked hard on better trade deals with other countries.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #513

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
We had 87 new cases of the virus yesterday, 2/3rds of them are 29 to 20 years old. In this clip a Doctor gives her explanation of why we now have so many young people with the coronavirus. She also states that we probably have alway had this many cases in the younger generation.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Cases going up here in TN but our percentage of young vs old testing positive has not really changed much in the last couple of months. Our death rate keeps falling, down to 1.4% now with 4/5's of the deaths being 60 or older with the majority being 70 and older. Very few people in my neck of the woods are "fearful" of the virus. Most respect it but most are just over it and many are pissed at both the media and the government for scaring people and sinking the economy.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Surprised to hear that cases, hospitalization, etc is all trending down here. We are not experiencing a surge of cases like other states have been. At least not yet. Still plenty of infected but it seems the sick are doing the right thing and keeping their ass home.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'm convinced they are calling "positive for antibodies" as positive for C19. It really muddies the water.
Not really. If you have the antibodies, you were positively some point. So you count as a positive.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
I'm convinced they are calling "positive for antibodies" as positive for C19. It really muddies the water.
Yes, your right on that. That happened in Amarillo, TX. We had our highest ever new cases yesterday, 140. 109 of those cases are in the age group 0 to 39. 78 of the cases in age group 20 to 29.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Not really. If you have the antibodies, you were positively some point. So you count as a positive.

They need to report it as antibodies test or active virus test. They are making it sound like only a active virus count.

501 - 520 of 547 Posts