Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I was going to watch a few minutes of it but ended up watching the whole thing. I am not much on the "new world order" thinking like this guy but I do completely agree that this thing is being over hyped which causes hysteria and is now driving the economy into the gutters. I also had the worst illness I have ever had in all my years back in December and since I have never had the flu I went to my doctor to see what he can do. I tested negative for flu and was told it was just a bad cold. Same for my wife, a large chunk of our families and some of my co-workers. I am not saying it was Corona19 but whatever it was it was never mentioned in the media. I didn't realize how widespread that illness back in December was till this virus hit and now I see it mentioned by people in different parts of the world.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Had 5 good friends over yesterday. I made three racks of ribs and some apple bacon Mac and cheese on the smoker. There were no leftovers, and I’m slightly hungover typing this.

It was a great fire pit evening.....enjoying the quarantine life.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
There are all kinds of people hyping on possible mistakes others have made on this dilemma. It is easy to set back and make accusations after the fact. Would have their ideas been better, maybe, maybe not. Are we over reacting about this virus? I don't really think so. Wester Europe is getting hit hard with a lot of deaths. Some of the deaths are because they did not have medical supplies or hospitals to handle the huge number of coronavirus cases along with all the other medical cases they have, flu, heart attaches, strokes, etc... Their medical facilities are over whelmed and maybe or government got far enough ahead of it that we can have a better outcome.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Correct Europe and Italy especially shows what happens when you react too late. Overwhelmed the hospital system and many died that could have otherwise possibly been saved. No guarantees but if you don't have hospital beds and ventilators for people that can't breathe they have little chance.

We probably reacted poorly here too not as quickly as we could have. It's all in hindsight now. Italy was not a full mess when the first cases hit American soil. Now we just try to limit spread and slow it down.

We have zero immunity to this and the more they study the more they learn. It spreads quickly person to person before you have symptoms. That's how 1 person becomes thousands within a week or two.

It's not that this is a severe bug that is the problem. It's more contagious than flu or anything else we typically see. We will all probably get it within the next year or two. Hopefully we can just slow it enough to keep the hospitals operating.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Correct Europe and Italy especially shows what happens when you react too late. Overwhelmed the hospital system and many died that could have otherwise possibly been saved. No guarantees but if you don't have hospital beds and ventilators for people that can't breathe they have little chance.

We probably reacted poorly here too not as quickly as we could have. It's all in hindsight now. Italy was not a full mess when the first cases hit American soil. Now we just try to limit spread and slow it down.

We have zero immunity to this and the more they study the more they learn. It spreads quickly person to person before you have symptoms. That's how 1 person becomes thousands within a week or two.

It's not that this is a severe bug that is the problem. It's more contagious than flu or anything else we typically see. We will all probably get it within the next year or two. Hopefully we can just slow it enough to keep the hospitals operating.
They are saying 99% of those who died from this in Italy had a preexisting condition that allowed this nasty virus to do far more harm than it normally would.

The thing is Italy has the second oldest population in the world and their culture puts them literally face to face when they say hello to each other if they know each other well enough.

The older we get the more likely we are to develop some kind of other issue that would make this virus much worse. Young people are dying too though but again; they usually have some kind of other health issue.

Went out wheeling yesterday with around 9 other vehicles. The nice thing about this sport is it naturally keeps people socially distant but also in contact via CB radios. Unfortunately I am still working the bugs out of this 33 yo rig and found that it overheated at speeds above 45 so I missed the good part of the run. :( Oh well; I knew this was a fixer upper but didn't know it was going to require this much TLC. I'll get it right soon though... Just one more of life's little challenges. The scenery is usually amazing if you like nature.

As for the virus, well, I'm thinking the next 3-6 weeks will give us enough info to understand how much longer this will last. It appears to be the worst on both coasts (and high population centers in general) so I figure it will creep inland over time. The more sparse the population; the less damage it will do. I did notice it seems to be hitting the dem controlled sanctuary cities the worst. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
So much for this being an old people disease. What really concerns me is long term lung damage leaving people with COPD-like symptoms with shortness of breath for the rest of the survivors life. If it does this to a very healthy young athlete; imagine what it will do to someone who smokes or have other underlying conditions. Even though I quit smoking 19 years ago; I still did significant damage by smoking for 24 years (off and on). I really hate this freaking disease and what it's doing to the world in many ways.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Maybe this virus will bring the world to it's senses. For a while anyway, maybe.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Some of the younger riders may want to pay close attention to this.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I haven't left the house in 2 days, didn't even open the gate. I had a couple of people call me and ask if I was going to do a Sunday thing in the Cantina. I told them no, I had already text most friends and told them I wasn't going to do anything at the house until further notice.

It is going to be in the high 70's and low 80's this week and I have some mowing to do and I need to get the barn cleaned out. I may get the new A/C in the Cantina installed and what ever I can do to stay busy. This does all really suck and I do think China dropped the ball on the virus. I also think they had a lot more deaths than they are claiming.

·
Registered
714 Posts
We had two teenagers die of the common flu virus this year. 80% of all infected with Corona have little or no symptoms ever. The flu has a much higher rate of symptomatic conditions.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The simple fact is that you have a good chance of either getting the virus now or later in the year. The other simple fact is that the MAJORITY of people infected will get over it just fine. There will always be young people who get a respiratory virus of some sort and die from it but the percentage is very, very small. The media grabs onto those stories and scares the crap out of people making hysteria worse.

·
Registered
584 Posts
"Ignorance is bliss."

Seems to be a very applicable quote lately.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I think this virus is a bad deal. It's going to get a lot worse in the U.S. before it gets better.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
No new cases of the virus in 2 days. We have 10 cases here and 3 to the county west of us. That's good and I hope it holds.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
My wife went to the drive up window at the pharmacy at a Wal- Mart yesterday. She said there was all kinds of people there. People were coming out with all kinds of stuff not just food, flower and plants and like nothing was going on. We have 19 cases of the coronavirus here as of yesterday evening. The last five range in a age group from 15 to 50. I haven't left the property since last Friday and had no idea what it was like in town.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
A lot less people shopping these days here but otherwise business as usual except now we have two cases in this county so per the governor's "order" all bars, salons, and other non essential person to person contact businesses have shut down. Some did earlier to be on the safe side for their own families.

I still go out to get food at the supermarket or the parts stores as needed. Some take precautions; some don't. I'm not too worried at this point. It's mainly contained in high density populations. That can change of course so we watch the situation locally on a day by day basis.

This is nothing compared to when I was a teen living in Izmir, Turkey in the 70's living under Martial Law. Now that was surreal. Blacked out city at night so we didn't give anyone a good target to drop bombs on. Only light at night (outside) were a few dimmed down red bulb lights. I guess those couldn't be seen from very far away. I walked around one moonless night because I'm stupid that way. I almost couldn't find my way back home due to the pitch blackness of the night in that normally vibrant city. I seem to remember those red lights in windows helped me find my way somehow.

Moral of the story; this could be a 1000% worse. For those living in Europe during the "World Wars"; it was a 1000% worse. I guess it's worse there now than here except maybe for NYC and possibly New Orleans as they peak in numbers.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Pickup truck pulling a boat. Essential travel only. No enforcement...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Rode 100 miles one way for ice cream with 4 other bikes. It’s was a great day. Sunny and 90.

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

61 - 80 of 160 Posts