Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, this is the second time I've had a leaking rear wheel. It is from corrosion between the tire bead and the rim. anyone else seen this? Any coating I should try on the rim before remounting the tire? Any help greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would use a scotch brite cookie pad on my air powered die grinder and clean up the contact surface as good as possible and use a high quality bead sealer on it .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use a scotch brite cookie pad on my air powered die grinder and clean up the contact surface as good as possible and use a high quality bead sealer on it .
Thanks, I figured on the scotch brite but never used a bead sealer. Any brand recommendations?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have always got bead sealer for our shop from NAPA Auto Parts , if its good enough for our techs , its good stuff period .cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the help. cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had this problem with my car, I used to have it cleaned and sealed with bead sealer but the expansion/contraction of the tire would break the seal in less than 12 months. Done this this 3-4 times .I now found a shop to grind the corrosion down and rattle can enamel (spray paint) on the seal surface. The idea is the paint fills the porous material and seals it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
All the above, but also consider to replace the compressed air with nitrogen the molecules are bigger then air molecules, also keeps the tire cooler, in asia it is common to fill tires with Nitrogen

Good idea for using a higher quality bead sealer ... I pay 5 $ to replace my rear tire so buying my own sealer would be a good idea ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
We used to sell the nitrogen at the last auto dealer I worked for. It will also help in lessening the moisture inside of the tire which is part of what's causing the corrosion along the bead. The bigger molecules will do a few things:
1. leak much less than regular air
2. change PSI readings to a much lesser extent when changing altitude and temperature.
3. in case of a blowout, it is usually less traumatic and in the event of a nail getting stuck in the treads, it may actually not leak much at all compared to regular air.

Tour de France riders use it, military uses it, race cars use it... we should too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We used to sell the nitrogen at the last auto dealer I worked for. It will also help in lessening the moisture inside of the tire which is part of what's causing the corrosion along the bead. The bigger molecules will do a few things:
1. leak much less than regular air
2. change PSI readings to a much lesser extent when changing altitude and temperature.
3. in case of a blowout, it is usually less traumatic and in the event of a nail getting stuck in the treads, it may actually not leak much at all compared to regular air.

Tour de France riders use it, military uses it, race cars use it... we should too!
Thank to all, I'll try the nitrogen thumb up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wheel corrosion

one pic is of the tire, forgot to get a pic of the wheel before, but you can see the result. the other is after 3 hours of grinding and polishing. I'm thinking of using a clear coat paint on the inside of the rim; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. after numerous bikes and riding since 1971 this is the first wheel I've ever had get this bad. Thank in advance for all the suggestions.
Forgot to add, no nitrogen in my area.

Attachments

·
13,177 Posts
clear paint not going to help
next year you'll have less to clean

Tire doesn't look good, put some grease all the way around the lip of the beading edge

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
??

clear paint not going to help
next year you'll have less to clean

Tire doesn't look good, put some grease all the way around the lip of the beading edge
VJ, thanks for the answer, but a little confusing. Grease? :ltr:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Clear may be hard to see if you got good coverage

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
No nitrogen :mad:

Where do you live mate ?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
A technician at my work says to wipe down the bead of the tire really good with brake clean to get any loose flashing or chemical off the tire and use a good bead sealer , he suggested that in the future the dried paint will be more problems then it corrects . They don't call it bead sealer for nuthin !thumb up

·
Registered
682 Posts
When I worked at a shop up north, where corrosion was a problem, we would use a die grinder with a scotch brite cookie and grind the corrosion off the rim, clean the bead of the tire with rubber cleaner, then seal it with bead sealer, inflate the tire, and let it sit for a little bit before putting it back on the car. We used the Tech Tire Repairs brand rubber cleaner and bead sealer

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
When I worked at a shop up north, where corrosion was a problem, we would use a die grinder with a scotch brite cookie and grind the corrosion off the rim, clean the bead of the tire with rubber cleaner, then seal it with bead sealer, inflate the tire, and let it sit for a little bit before putting it back on the car. We used the Tech Tire Repairs brand rubber cleaner and bead sealer
Agreed Ghost , I believe this is virtually exactly what I suggested the OP to do .....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts