Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems that the Cross Roads "leather" saddle bags are not really leather. (Except for a small patch riveted to the front edge of the lids.) They are some kind of vinyl fabric stretched over a plastic shell. On the top lip of the bags, the vinyl is folded over the opening, sloppily stapled and glued. Same with the lip of the lids. The glue used seems to be some kind of soft rubber cement and it does not hold the vinyl to the plastic innards, thus the vinyl is pulling away from the plastic and exposing everything put into the bags to the glue goo.
It sure would've been nice if Victory had done it right when they made the bags...

Has anyone else had this issue and found the right kind of adhesive to fix it?

inside.jpg

lid.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Test drove a brand new one and it was the same as ur pic. Peeling up vinyl. I bought a different xr classic and same problem. Tried different glues and it's the same. Already cleaned my helmet several times with goo gone to remove the adhesive on my helmet when I put it in the bags. I applied black duct tape to hold the vinyl to the insides of the bag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I stopped in to my nearest Victory dealer and opened up the bags on a 2014 Cross Roads Classic. The amount of vinyl overlap below the seams was the same, but it was not stuck to the plastic form. There was no glue goo between the vinyl overlap and the plastic, it was nice and clean. Apparently the stitching is sufficient to hold the vinyl to the plastic.

So I guess I'll just get some 3M adhesive remover, clean up the glue goo, and leave it at that.

Thanks to those who replied!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts