Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys replaced a set of lifters in just one of your piston heads ? How big of a job is this ?
Or have you had this done at a dealer or shop . What was the cost ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called RF cycles in north jersey and got two prices for the job . $1000 bucks if they do it and $360 if I by the parts and do it myself .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Moles:
Just my 2 cents, but, I would advise caution against just replacing parts without an accurate diagnosis of the exact cause of the problem …

Take it to Lloydz, Kevin X, or The Vic Shop.. get an accurate diagnosis, prognosis, and repair/replacement... save money, worry, time..

p.s.
Cutting the stock airbox out and replacing with an estimated $150 replacement?? This sent a RED FLAG. I don't think they can find any after market airbox for $150 (maybe used S&S)

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts

·
12,983 Posts
Have to ask what makes you think lifters are bad. Vic's have tickie lifters till they fill up with oil.
Tell us.
If you have sticky lifters and plenty of power I wouldn't think you have bad ones.
Try some seafoam in your oil to free them up read the instruction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moles:
Just my 2 cents, but, I would advise caution against just replacing parts without an accurate diagnosis of the exact cause of the problem …

Take it to Lloydz, Kevin X, or The Vic Shop.. get an accurate diagnosis, prognosis, and repair/replacement... save money, worry, time..

p.s.
Cutting the stock airbox out and replacing with an estimated $150 replacement?? This sent a RED FLAG. I don't think they can find any after market airbox for $150 (maybe used S&S)
I’m using caution , but I would like solve this problem before it turns into something bigger .
Lloyd’s shop is 2hr away from my house . But I did call them and the service guy said that they only do bike tunes and add-on performance parts that are not motorcycle repair shop . And recommended a shop much closer to my home in North Jersey called Rolling Fast Cycles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to ask what makes you think lifters are bad. Vic's have tickie lifters till they fill up with oil.
Tell us.
If you have sticky lifters and plenty of power I wouldn't think you have bad ones.
Try some seafoam in your oil to free them up read the instruction.
At this point it’s just my best guess. This is why I just join the forum to get other opinions and to get through this problem.
It’s very very hard to identify problems that are just sounds ,what one person says is bad the another one says is normal .

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
As has been said, the Victory engines make some noise. Having someone from a reputable shop that knows Victory's and can give an honest assessment is a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
At this point it’s just my best guess. This is why I just join the forum to get other opinions and to get through this problem.

It’s very very hard to identify problems that are just sounds ,what one person says is bad the another one says is normal .
If your "worried" then ride to a vic guru, let him listen, if the vic shop says "no problem" then let the bike be noisy ....

I understood that if the lifters keep on being noisy then ride the bike hard, til 5000 rpm, then apparently the noise goes away ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
yeah Victory engines are a mechanical caucopheny!
Specially if youre a helmetless rider, or if you have stock pipes.
My XC has a bit of lifter tick yet itll still rev to 6000rpm and pull like a freight train.
2 hrs to Lloydz .. how lucky are you!
Im on the opposite side of the planet.
Youll never get an accurate engine noise diagnosis on a forum so if youre really concerned take a 2 hour ride .

·
12,983 Posts
My vision used to tick and then I switch oil to Rotella 15 / 40 now no more ticking. You could fix the tick as simple as different oilo.
Now be careful some dealers will tell you its bad just so they can get into your wallet. Find another Vic and see what it sounds like

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vision used to tick and then I switch oil to Rotella 15 / 40 now no more ticking. You could fix the tick as simple as different oilo.
Now be careful some dealers will tell you its bad just so they can get into your wallet. Find another Vic and see what it sounds like
I did that this passed Saturday switch to M1 20/50 , it made no improvements to the problem . But we’ Trying.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’m using caution , but I would like solve this problem before it turns into something bigger .
Lloyd’s shop is 2hr away from my house . But I did call them and the service guy said that they only do bike tunes and add-on performance parts that are not motorcycle repair shop . And recommended a shop much closer to my home in North Jersey called Rolling Fast Cycles.
Lloydes has told people to just get on the freeway and run the bike hard. High Revs....because the lifter noise can happen after a cam job....that is the cure. Tensioners also fail to work like they should. Post a video. :smile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts