Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying either a new Vision or maybe a cheaper 2010 Vision and then having Lloyds work their magic. I am thinking pipes, cams, adjustable timing, upper air filter, and some tuning. I can go on and find the prices of the parts, but I am not sure about labor costs to have them installed. If there are any other suggested items to add to my list, please let me know. And for those that have had similar set ups done, can you give me a rough estimate of what it cost in total with labor.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
As I replied in another post, why not new old stock? (new left overs from previous model years) That way you'll still get the full warranty, and save $$$.

·
13,002 Posts
If we new where you lived we could tell you where to go. There is Lloydz, The Vic Shop or KMC and Kevinx all are top of line tuners and with parts and labor I think your looking at 2 grand if you all ready have pipes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will update my profile when I get home this evening. I am in Virginia about 30 miles west of DC. I think Lloyds is the closest to me at just over 5 hours away and a decent ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I replied in another post, why not new old stock? (new left overs from previous model years) That way you'll still get the full warranty, and save $$$.
So who installed the items in your sig line? If you did not install, do you have a rough idea what it all cost you for the performance items?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we new where you lived we could tell you where to go. There is Lloydz, The Vic Shop or KMC and Kevinx all are top of line tuners and with parts and labor I think your looking at 2 grand if you all ready have pipes
Pipes look like they are just under $1000. So you think that for around $3K I could get the 110-115HP bike I want including parts and labor? That is the round about number I came up with, but I also thought that was to low.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Let me ask you, since nobody else has, why you want pipes. Pipes are changed to make noise, not to make power. The Vision stock exhaust is good for most mods without any change. It just flows really well. With the intake and cams you will want a fuel controller too. Lately I have seen lots of good things said about the Dobeck gen 4 fueler but I have no experience with it myself.
The timing wheel was a no brainer for me. I bought one and installed it on my Vision in about 30 minutes. Now the bike runs smoother and I did not need to make it a part of any upgrade package.
As far as new vs used, it is your call. You avoid the first year depreciation by buying any used vehicle but you never know what the previous owner did with that vehicle. I tend to favor new but have had plenty of used vehicles over the years. I do like the idea of buying a left over, but still new, '13 or '12 for a good price with the warranty intact.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
As you are aware, the CAMs are $530 for either choice. Most installer's charge around $500 to install the CAMs by themselves (no tune) at the CAM parties. Your best bet would be a Dyno and the CAMs and that typically runs around $1,300 from ay of the guys doing the work at one of the rally's where they pull their dyno trailer too (like Myrtle in the fall) but these are just estimates. Some charge less, some charge more. If you want to put on the air systems and timing wheel, the prices will go up from there.

As others have pointed out, you can actually get MORE performance out of leaving the stock pipes in place but if you don't mind sacrificing some power for a bit more rumble, there are lot's of options and those run from a $25 do it yourself effort up to $1,300 Freedom Performance straight pipes.

I had a quite for all the Lloyds parts & The Power Commander 5 (tuner) and a dyno all for $2,350 from Kyle @ KMC a few years back but that was for an X-bike and may have even been before the timing gear was available so this is ballpark only but you should be able to come close for $3K. Better yet, there are a number of bikes available for sale that ALREADY have the CAM work done to them for reasonable $'s. I think I recently saw a 2013 Vision with CAMs for something insane like $14K. Sure, you can probably buy a 2009 Vision for $8K and then drop $3K in and have the same thing so I guess it's up to you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me ask you, since nobody else has, why you want pipes. Pipes are changed to make noise, not to make power. The Vision stock exhaust is good for most mods without any change. It just flows really well. With the intake and cams you will want a fuel controller too. Lately I have seen lots of good things said about the Dobeck gen 4 fueler but I have no experience with it myself.
The timing wheel was a no brainer for me. I bought one and installed it on my Vision in about 30 minutes. Now the bike runs smoother and I did not need to make it a part of any upgrade package.
As far as new vs used, it is your call. You avoid the first year depreciation by buying any used vehicle but you never know what the previous owner did with that vehicle. I tend to favor new but have had plenty of used vehicles over the years. I do like the idea of buying a left over, but still new, '13 or '12 for a good price with the warranty intact.
I figured the pipes had to be done to get the best performing bike with all the other mods. I don't need more noise so that may save me some cash.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I figured the pipes had to be done to get the best performing bike with all the other mods. I don't need more noise so that may save me some cash.
Lloydz or Kyle from KMC will be your top selections where your at. Call either and get a quote. They will break it out for you very well. Honkers and other pipes sound great but if you want the performance look for some used or dyi mod for the pipes. Visions pretty cut and dry:
Upper air filter
Tour cams
Advance wheel
PCV or comparable
Variable intake your call
Tune
Labor and standing behind the work both shops good

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lloydz or Kyle from KMC will be your top selections where your at. Call either and get a quote. They will break it out for you very well. Honkers and other pipes sound great but if you want the performance look for some used or dyi mod for the pipes. Visions pretty cut and dry:
Upper air filter
Tour cams
Advance wheel
PCV or comparable
Variable intake your call
Tune
Labor and standing behind the work both shops good
I did try emailing both last week to get some estimates. Maybe they are busy or maybe since I said I didn't even have the bike yet, they didn't see me as a future customer. Once I actually have the bike, I will call.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There is no reason to change the stock headers as they are as good or better then any, but if you get cams a slip on muffler will get higher hp. Loydz.com has dyno charts showing different combinations. And your better off buying aftermarket as victory is very expensive for their stage one. If a quiet bike is your priority the stock mufflers work with the cams, just less hp.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did try emailing both last week to get some estimates. Maybe they are busy or maybe since I said I didn't even have the bike yet, they didn't see me as a future customer. Once I actually have the bike, I will call.
They were both at sturgis bike week . And they probably got back to a load of work waiting for them at their shops. Kmc does answer his email, maybe give him a week then try again. Kmc is doing a cam party in Maryland in the fall, ask him when.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That's the assumption many people have that end up causing them to waste money. The steel frame bikes may benefit more from an exhaust swap but the aluminum frame bikes make awesome power using the stock exhaust system. Unless you just really want that rumble, I'd stick with stock exhaust. With a tuner, Lloydz filter, ATS, and cams you should have no problem getting past 110-110. The drop in cams may get you closer to 115 and the touring HP cams should get you closer to 125.

·
Registered
251 Posts
2013 Vision PCV timing wheel top filter adjustable intake loyds touring cams quarter turn throttle Ness Big Honker exhaust loyds variable clutch. Cost me 3900 dollars including the pipes. 125 hp 122 FtLbs of torque. 43 hp gain from stock. Love it !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There is no reason to change the stock headers as they are as good or better then any, but if you get cams a slip on muffler will get higher hp.
Slip on mufflers gain very little if any. Lloyd does not have a dyno sheet with performance upgrades using stock exhaust. Just stock bike then souped up bikes. Why do you think that is? He sells slip on mufflers right? I'm not bashing the man, I've bought a lot of his products. He wants to sell mufflers too.

Rylan at the Vic shop did post a dyno of Lloyds performance upgrades WITH the stock exhaust. It outgained one "performance" slip on by a couple points and was outgained by one "performance" slip on by a couple points. So at the end of the day, it looks like with the X bikes, slip on mufflers are about sound, not so much on the power. Your gains will be just as good with completely stock exhaust...from the numbers I've seen. Not too mention Lloyd says in his own article that the Xbikes stock exhaust produce real good power and that he has not seen an aftermarket header produce more. He didn't say that no performance slip ons hasn't produced more power but he also doesn't show us the comparison. 1 or 2 HP isn't much to brag about when you spend $400-$800!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rebel go to Loyds website and look at the at the Vision dyno sheets not the the x bike. Bunch of them are with stock exhaust. There is one with the same add ons as mine except with stock exhaust. Yes you are right same HP and torque numbers as mine with the Ness Honkers. I don't like a quiet bike and also am going to have a big bore done eventually thats why I put the exhaust on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2013 Vision PCV timing wheel top filter adjustable intake loyds touring cams quarter turn throttle Ness Big Honker exhaust loyds variable clutch. Cost me 3900 dollars including the pipes. 125 hp 122 FtLbs of torque. 43 hp gain from stock. Love it !

Was this all installed as well or was that just for parts? If installed and taking away the exhaust, it looks as though I am right around my goal of about $3K. Also I see you have a 2013. Does getting all the Lloyds upgrades void the warranty? If so I will definitely buy used. If it does not, I will buy new or leftover new and have both the warranty and the warm fuzzy feeling from the upgrades.:D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Rebel go to Loyds website and look at the at the Vision dyno sheets not the the x bike. Bunch of them are with stock exhaust. There is one with the same add ons as mine except with stock exhaust. Yes you are right same HP and torque numbers as mine with the Ness Honkers. I don't like a quiet bike and also am going to have a big bore done eventually thats why I put the exhaust on.

Thanks for mentioning that, I think I looked at every dyno sheet except Vision (ahh...don't think I looked at the 92s either). You did validate the point though that aftermarket exhaust is nice if you're looking for that deep rumble but it don't do much in the way of HP. So the bottom line for those strictly looking for performance mods, exhaust doesn't play into it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts