Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird thing happened yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, it was the first time my wife rode with me. We headed out on my 06 Kingpin to ride from Oroville to Paradise. When I stopped to gas up, the transmission would not shift to neutral. It was like I could only find third and fourth. I shut down the bike, gassed up, an restarted and still could not get it to downshift--let me tell you, the bike does NOT like to start out in third, especially with two-up. I ended up riding around the block by myself. I got it up to speed by feathering the clutch and once at 30-35, I was able to downshift again. I picked up my wife and we rode to Paradise (about 20 miles), stopped, and rode back without incident. Keep in mind, this bike only has 3500 miles on it. And probably only 200 miles on fresh Victory 20W-40. Any ideas on what happened?

·
Registered
586 Posts
No ideas. I am always downshifting to match my speed as I slow up and come to a stop. Just make that a habit and hopefully you won't encounter the need to start in third again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
down shifting

Like I was told by a service writer at a ictory dealer there is a problem with this bike on shifting. If you ever thought it might be you well??? Report this problem to the National Safty office everyone who has thought this and lets try and get a national recall befor someone really gets hurt. This due to ictory not stepping up to the problem.

·
13,177 Posts
A weird thing happened yesterday, and wouldn't you know it, it was the first time my wife rode with me. We headed out on my 06 Kingpin to ride from Oroville to Paradise. When I stopped to gas up, the transmission would not shift to neutral. It was like I could only find third and fourth. I shut down the bike, gassed up, an restarted and still could not get it to downshift--let me tell you, the bike does NOT like to start out in third, especially with two-up. I ended up riding around the block by myself. I got it up to speed by feathering the clutch and once at 30-35, I was able to downshift again. I picked up my wife and we rode to Paradise (about 20 miles), stopped, and rode back without incident. Keep in mind, this bike only has 3500 miles on it. And probably only 200 miles on fresh Victory 20W-40. Any ideas on what happened?
Sounds like your clutch might be out of adjustment or your riding the clutch.
With motor cold like first thing in morning. Hold onto bars with one hand and take a hold of the clutch cable. Now pull on black part of cable the silver end of the cable should only come out of the clutch housing a 1/8" any thing more then that and it out of adjustment

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
...When I stopped to gas up, the transmission would not shift to neutral... Any ideas on what happened?
I had a very similar thing happen in the first few hundred miles of owning the bike. It turned out that once stopped at a light in a higher gear, it was not dropping through gears unless the clutch was slightly released between each gear shift, so the next gear would get selected. After adding a few thousand miles, the bike did loosen up a bit, and that symptom went away by the time I reached approximately 4-5000 miles. It started to move up and down through the gears without having to do the partial clutch release. Since I normally downshift as I slow down, this was a rare occurrence, and caught me by surprise at first. By the time I got used to do the partial clutch release it was no longer needed.

Other than that, make sure your clutch cable is correctly adjusted as visionjohnny mentioned.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I had a very similar thing happen in the first few hundred miles of owning the bike. It turned out that once stopped at a light in a higher gear, it was not dropping through gears unless the clutch was slightly released between each gear shift, so the next gear would get selected.
My new Kingpin (265 miles) does the same thing. I have to slightly release the clutch if I don't downshift with decreasing speed

·
Registered
103 Posts
down shift

Does anyone ever notice that it sounds like the gears are not engaged when down shifting (like you can hear the teeth coming together for long period of time) My ictort has 2500 miles and hung up in third yesterday and sounded like a tooth may have broken but got down to first and as of now nothing going on except for the sound of gears every now and then. Had checked out at dealer but dought if the did anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts