Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped for lunch and when I came out to start my bike I couldn't get it into neutral so it would start. I remembered going into the parking space in 2nd gear and should have downshifted the bike into first before I shut her off but I didn't. It took a couple of minutes of working the clutch/shifter and gently moving the bike a bit forward t take the pressure of the gears before I could get into neutral so she would start. I can't remember having that happen to me before. Once running the bike shifted just fine. Is there an easier way to shift a Victory into neutral when it is off or is a process like I went through to get it there?

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Stopped for lunch and when I came out to start my bike I couldn't get it into neutral so it would start. I remembered going into the parking space in 2nd gear and should have downshifted the bike into first before I shut her off but I didn't. It took a couple of minutes of working the clutch/shifter and gently moving the bike a bit forward t take the pressure of the gears before I could get into neutral so she would start. I can't remember having that happen to me before. Once running the bike shifted just fine. Is there an easier way to shift a Victory into neutral when it is off or is a process like I went through to get it there?
As far as I know you can start a Victory in any gear with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Mine starts when in gear, although when I do start it in gear it seems to idle a bit faster for a few minutes

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NAB, mine only starts in neutral. Several weeks ago I noticed that it only started in neutral and dismissed it, believing that it was always like that. So could that be the problem? And what could have changed with my clutch to cause that. Let me add that 2 months ago my speedo stopped showing what gear I was in and the mechanic found that the metal bar had broke under the clutch. He did not replace the switch associated with the metal bar saying that the switch was OK. Could that be a problem?

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
NAB, mine only starts in neutral. Several weeks ago I noticed that it only started in neutral and dismissed it, believing that it was always like that. So could that be the problem? And what could have changed with my clutch to cause that. Let me add that 2 months ago my speedo stopped showing what gear I was in and the mechanic found that the metal bar had broke under the clutch. He did not replace the switch associated with the metal bar saying that the switch was OK. Could that be a problem?
I don't know, there may have been some made with a neutral safety switch. It may be required in some countries.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some additional research and found that most probably my clutch switch also went bad. As I posted above the bar that broke associated with the switch was replaced but the switch itself was not changed out. I’ll have that done soon to eliminate the problem that I had yesterday only being able to start my bike in neutral. Thanks for all who chimed in to help.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I thought that the little metal bar was part of the clutch switch and could not be purchased separately. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vinish, it can’t be purchased separately but each component can be installed separately. Anyway, that’s what my mechanic told me. So in my case since only the bar broken, it was the only part installed. So I have a brand new switch available to be installed.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,977 Posts
If your clutch lever is missing the peg or clutch switch broken you'll never be able to start the bike unless transmission is in neutral.

Fix the clutch lever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I brought my bike to the mechanic and had the clutch switch that came in the package with the metal bar replaced. Now my bike starts in gear with the clutch pulled in. He said that the switch went bad after he had tested it about a month previously. It's good to know that I won't experience that starting issue again any time soon. Thanks to all who provided their opinions.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Why not park it in neutral?
Something I've been doing for 50 years.
Ever tried kick-starting a bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?
ONLY time I ever leave a bike in gear parked is if it's on a steep hill.
Even then I back it into the kerb where possible and leave the bike in neutral.
This parking in gear and pulling the clutch lever in to start seem to be an American thing.
Can someone please enlighten me as to why a bike would need to be parked in gear?
Apart from my pre stated steep hill and no other way..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Motorbikerx, I normally also park the bike either in neutral or 1st. If I leave it in first, I kick it up into neutral and then start the bike. This time I mistakenly backed into a downward sloping parking space in second gear and didn't downshift it into first before I turned the bike off. When I came back to start the bike, I had one heck of a time trying to roll the bike forward (because of the slope) enough to take the pressure off the transmission to let me shift it into neutral. Having a working clutch switch would have allowed me to very easily start the bike in this circumstance by just pulling in the clutch lever. As you know, once a Victory is running, shifting the bike becomes much easier.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Why not park it in neutral?
Something I've been doing for 50 years.
Ever tried kick-starting a bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?
ONLY time I ever leave a bike in gear parked is if it's on a steep hill.
Even then I back it into the kerb where possible and leave the bike in neutral.
This parking in gear and pulling the clutch lever in to start seem to be an American thing.
Can someone please enlighten me as to why a bike would need to be parked in gear?
Apart from my pre stated steep hill and no other way..
They told us to always park in gear in the bike class I took 10 years ago. Bike can't roll away that way.

I always park in neutral at home but in gear when away. Bad enough someone might mess with it while I'm away. I don't need it moving and they knock it over.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
They told us to always park in gear in the bike class I took 10 years ago. Bike can't roll away that way.

I always park in neutral at home but in gear when away. Bad enough someone might mess with it while I'm away. I don't need it moving and they knock it over.
Roll away!??? How?
None of my bikes have ever rolled away when parked properly

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Roll away!??? How?
None of my bikes have ever rolled away when parked properly
It's the newbie class I took that was encouraging that so could be any reason.

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
As far as I know you can start a Victory in any gear with the clutch pulled in.
And side stand up, there is a kill switch if the bike is in gear

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

No side stand switch on US Victory builds.

Good that they have a cutoff to not start in gear. My uncle's Harley doesn't have that. It was a good laugh when I was visiting and he went to start it after wash and it started to jump forward.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
In the days before electric starters on bikes we had devices called kick-starters
and you had a specific procedure to go through or you'd be kicking all day.
Or get a busted ankle if ya got it real wrong.

Now those of you old enough to remember, ..but not that old you can't remember anything:unsure:
would know this.
Bike in gear or not , pulling the clutch in would just have the kicker freewheel through on the clutch
I always did that a coupla times to unstick the clutch plates before turning on the fuel and kicking the bike to life Hopefully!

Now every kickstart bike had its own special procedure to go through.
Maybe some of the crusty ol' dudes on here could take us back in time with the procedure on say a Harley Flathead, Shovel,
A Norton, Triumph Thunderbird,
Or maybe even a REAL Indian!

I once borrowed mates Silver Shotgun Ducati , a 450 single with high comp. and opposite side shifter.
Went to use rear brake and inadvertently changed the bike up a gear as tryna slow!
Stalled the bike!!!
And had a snowballs chance in hell of kick-starting it.
Tried to bump start it on a hill and no-go either!!!!

No mobile phones back then either!...so had to rely on telepathy and the fact my mate had an idea where I'd ride and that he would want his beloved Ducati back!
He was driving my 350 Chevy powered Holden Monaro as we had swapped.
After waiting what seemed an eternity I heard then saw my Monaro coming down the road.

Kirby had a good laugh and jumped on his Duke, found neutral, primed the carb, got the big single high comp piston past TDC. and then launched himself up in the air and brought his tiny light frame self with his trusty old boot down on the kick starter!
The bike thundered into life and Kurbs rode off back up the hill.

Never again do I desire to ride a big single with a Kickstarter.

Nor would I ever leave a bike parked in neutral unless the situation of a steep hill or a very dodgy parking spot really demanded it.

I see bikes these days parked downhill on the road camber nose into the gutter and shake my head....why do they make it so hard on themselves when it's time to leave.
Park like you're robbing a bank and you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts

I've never had a side stand safety on the 5 Victory's I've owned.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It's not a requirement on Victory's North American bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts