Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unreal.

Poor body position, didn't create the right line for the curve, leaned FAR too much with the bike (instead of his body) far too early, and target fixation led to this....

This is why I have made comments in the past about a couple of pics where the riders had similar body position. The bike is doing all the work, and it can only lean so far...

At least he was kinda/sorta wearing gear. :rolleyes:

How pissed do you think the Vette driver was? :D

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
+ Waving at the camera instead of seriously operating his bike. He doesn't appear to be aware of the curve looming up - inattentive.
+ Not looking where he wanted the bike TO BE. Head and eyes should have been aimed around that curve.
+ Once he realized his predicament, instead of concentrating on executing the curve, he straightened and looked at what he didn't want to hit. Of course, you go where you're looking and he hit the Corvette.

·
Registered
851 Posts

In aviation rule number one is fly the aircraft, everything else is secondary.

This guy put waving to the camera above riding the bike. Had he set his priorities correctly he probably would've corrected most if not all of the errors you pointed out.

And yes, if I was the Vette driver I'd be PISSED!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Triumph

I like the Triumphs overall. I think they actually build some very nice bikes. My last bike before my XR was a Triumph. Went to one of their test ride or demo days. I road the Thunderbird like the one in the picture. Bike ran good, but I drug the thing four times on a demo ride the first time I ever road one. Figured right then that was not the bike for me. Have not drug the XR yet. Yes the guy in the picture did all kinds of things wrong.---Did you notice the location of the speedo? Right on top of the tank. Everytime you look at your speed you take your eyes off the road. Lots of nice bikes out there that I would not own because the instruments are on top of tank. Victory likes to put them up on top at least, much safer.thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Went right where he was looking. Notice he stood the bike up far before he even started to turn well. Look where his head is pointed. Seemed to be in good shape till he saw the purdy red car.

wac

·
12,970 Posts
To me he leaned over heard the bike scraping the pavement straightened it out and smash. We all have been close to doing this

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Unreal.

Poor body position
I think you worry too much about body position. He was just putting around that curve. His problem was completely target fixation. When he looked away from the camera and saw the car it scared him and he became a deer in it's headlights instead of simply countersteering back into his lane.

That's why I leave DG before people start showing up.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...His problem was completely target fixation. When he looked away from the camera and saw the car it scared him and he became a deer in it's headlights instead of simply countersteering back into his lane...
:I agree:

Once he looks at the Vette, he straightens up the bike, and goes straight at it. Should have kept the eyes on the prize... that is the path where he wants the bike to go, and not at the obstacle he wants to avoid.

Lovely pictures though! thumb up Further proof that helmets can be useless in an accident.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Went right where he was looking. Notice he stood the bike up far before he even started to turn well. Look where his head is pointed. Seemed to be in good shape till he saw the purdy red car.

wac
He stood the bike up because he didn't understand countersteering.

At first, he's thinking, I just need to turn more. Then, you get this moment of.. WTF? I turned and it stood up???? Then, all you have left is brakes. Long long long time ago, this happened to me after a hiatus from riding in college. Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars and I controlled the stop before running off the road. That was when I relearned counter-steering, and more importantly, the dynamics of WHY it does what it does.....

Counter-steering must become intuitive and reasoned in one's head, or sooner or later, this will happen.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am impressed with the shutter speed of the camera and how the camera man kept the subject in frame.

The driver of the Vette was trying to get out of the way, just couldn't.

Hopefully the rider learns to pay attention to what he's doing, if he gets another bike.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks to the OP for posting this. We all need to be reminded that target fixation can ruin your day! It's one of the many excellent topics discussed at an MSF course. As was said, he did so many things wrong, with the exception of his gear. His skills were limited and he paid for it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I am impressed with the shutter speed of the camera and how the camera man kept the subject in frame.
Yes, photographer kept his cool and kept shooting. Most folks will drop the camera and forget to keep at it. Gets me inspired to get my camera out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He stood the bike up so that he could hit his brakes without causing himself to immediately go down. He *thought* he was being smart that way, but it did him no good.

And yes, BP was his initial error. There is absolutely NO such thing as putting too much emphasis on BP. Then target fixation came into play, and that did him in entirely.

Go into any rider class and say BP is overrated at any, all, or certain speeds. You'll be laughed out of there.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
He did what they said to do in the MSF course. Straighten up the bike and break. Too bad it was too late for that. He obviously wasn't an experienced rider otherwise he could have recovered. Hear scrap and lift a "little", not all the way. Use counter steer to avoid. Even then, he would have still (probably) ended up on the other side of the road but he would have been BEHIND the vette and had a better chance as the car's behind the vette also saw him coming and would have been able to make evasive maneuvers that would have saved him. Just hope the guy was alright. Let's be honest about the gear here as well folks... Not certain why others here are praising him for wearing leather? Other than the "state mandated" helmet, his gear didn't help him out in this event at all. Head on impact while going 30MPH into a vehicle and then flipping over and (eventually) landing on the ground. As the old saying goes "It isn't the fall that kills you, it's the impact". In this case, his was with the corvette & leathers don't help with that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
looked to me like he could have made the curve. he just saw the car and panicked. i do think body position is important but i do not think it had much to do with this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts