Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty soon it will be the one year anniversary to taking it in the ASS from Polaris ... I'm still not over it . :mad: Are you ? :confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Pretty soon it will be the one year anniversary to taking it in the ASS from Polaris ... I'm still not over it . :mad: Are you ? :confused:
My ass is just fine. I raised a daughter, been with the same woman for 24 years., and I used to work for the Government...used to it I guess!

Just off a nice sunny ride on my KP. Screw Polaris, still like the bike a lot. HD and BMW will be my next bikes.

Won't be seen on an Injun and Polaris won't get any more money from me so I can shove it up theirs longer than they can shove it up mine.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't be seen on an Injun and Polaris won't get any more money from me so I can shove it up theirs longer than they can shove it up mine.
Love it !cheers

·
Registered
347 Posts
Over it? Nope. Haven't worn a Vic T-shirt since being orphaned. Use to have a cool heavy duty Vic shop rug in my man cave. Rolled it up and stuck it up in the rafters in the garage. Kinda took the wind out of my motorcycle sails. I did spend a few hours yesterday washing and waxing and cleaning the wheels. Has been a garage queen most of 2017.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its still very aggravating to me too ....:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts
I still like my Vic's and will still wear the t-shirts and hats. It's not like I'm advertising for a company still in business. I even bought a couple new ones marked way down to save for sometime down the road. More like the memory of what they were when they existed.

I'm getting a couple of stickers to put on my car/truck. The bike is still good; it's the damn parent company that's messed up.

Still disappointed as hell in them for what they did too. No way to run a railroad.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Screw Polaris, still like the bike a lot. HD and BMW will be my next bikes.
So you are entertaining getting the first and second bike brands that top the warranty / repair claims lists. Oh my! Not a wise move Kurbs. It ain't the original cost, its the upkeep that's gonna hurt your bank account. I wish ya luck with that.

I am still enthralled with my 2010 XR and just to let all know there are still some happy Vic owners out there, I where the brand proudly on hats, shirts, jackets, etc.. Am I pleased with Polaris? F no! I even grind my teeth when I see an Indian go by. I'm Victory through and through!

·
Registered
426 Posts
So you are entertaining getting the first and second bike brands that top the warranty / repair claims lists. Oh my! Not a wise move Kurbs. It ain't the original cost, its the upkeep that's gonna hurt your bank account. I wish ya luck with that.

I am still enthralled with my 2010 XR and just to let all know there are still some happy Vic owners out there, I where the brand proudly on hats, shirts, jackets, etc.. Am I pleased with Polaris? F no! I even grind my teeth when I see an Indian go by. I'm Victory through and through!
Never had issues with any BMW I owned. Not all my Harleys were bad.

I've seen new Vics with bad engines and gears.

Maybe the other numbers are higher because they both sold a crap ton more and more were simply reported.

·
Premium Member
13,048 Posts

This pretty much how I feel too. Polaris did something good and right with Victory. Unfortunately they were too stupid to understand it and market it correctly. The market is a tough one to break into without name recognition which I'm sure is why Polaris decided to drop their own creation and roll with an old name and another semi-new creation of theirs. It's just too bad they couldn't manage to keep the Victory brand alive somehow.

There are no perfect machines but some are much better than others. Victory qualifies as being better than most IMHO. To be honest; I was impressed with the Indian's I test rode but now there's no way Polaris can be trusted so no more of their products for me.

Never had issues with any BMW I owned. Not all my Harleys were bad.

I've seen new Vics with bad engines and gears.

Maybe the other numbers are higher because they both sold a crap ton more and more were simply reported.
All true Kurbs. I've seen older HD Evo's with 175k miles on them with only top end rebuilds and the usual worn part replacement here and there. Seems like HD's that were either left stock engine-wise or rebuilt to fix the weak points did best and performed most reliably.

If I remember right; the total number of Vic's produced was around 125k. Not sure if that's a good guess are a true number but it sounds about right. The vast majority of those were sold after 2002 with advent of the "new" Vegas class. It kind of skyrocketed from there compared to previous years with all the new models ranging from JP's, Hammer's, KP's then later the Boardwalk which I still say should be been called the Kingpin 2.0 or something, and of course all the other models like the Highball and Gunner.

The big name recognition hit with the Vision; the futuristic bike one either loved or hated. Didn't seem to be a lot in between.

The the really big jump in sales happened (slowly at first but grew) with the X-Bikes. They really put Victory on the map and still does.

Polaris is a really stupidly run company for dropping Victory altogether. I can understand downsizing it to just the X-Bikes and Vegas but to shut it down completely was just plain ignorant.

All water under the bridge now though... Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I'm referring to current numbers. A friend works for an insurance company that provides repair warranty policies to mfrs and dealers. In the MC part of it, H-D and BMW top the list by brand. He says third place is a number way down the line.
Another friend was a certified BMW tech - factory trained - now recently retired. He said that in recent years, he had more and more work as the bikes got more complicated and were failing. I was thinking of a Beemer before I bought my XR and he discouraged me with a number of breakdown horror stories that were very costly. In over 7 years, I have had no failures of any kind. And my XR is so easy to work on, at 80, I do all my own maintenance.
As for Harley, in spite of a new engine, they still have an oil filter in a most inconvenient location; a clutch and belt buried deep inside it; 3 oil drains and an alternator where it gets hot and due for failure. Correct me if I'm wrong. Compare that to Vic.
I know there have been Beemers and Harleys that have gone the distance unscathed, but they are the minority, just like Vic engine problems are the minority. However, are you talking about Vic engine failures or things that are actually outside of the engine?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Polaris might have screwed me but I have alot great memories on my beloved Vic, I'm not a brand loyal guy anyways so who knows if I would have bought another one. But as long as I have it I'm gonna enjoy it. I do understand everybody's bitch towards polaris, but there is nothing I or we can do about it. So just ride it, enjoy it , and just remember that's it's not bikes fault. That's just my take..

Sent from my bike doing 80mph

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I like that...Its not the bikes fault. Yeah, not by a long shot. If our Vics have a fault, its that they are TOO GOOD! They don't break and the dealer shops didn't get the service work they thought they would. They are so dependable, not many traded up just to get rid of problems. So the bikes on the sales floor gathered dust. They are too easy to service and and again, the dealers don't get that work cuz we do it ourselves. Yeah...too good and that's why they axed it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ride today, watched my mouth on comment.

Went for a ride today with some friends. So three Victorys and one Kawasaki. The guy on the small Kaw is interested in trading it in and getting a Victory. I did good(for me, ha, ha). Did not tell him how I felt, do feel they are good bikes. Just told him to watch the salesman, so he gets a good deal. I personally would hate to buy a new one then take off on a long trip shortly after owning it and end up having to have some warranty work done. I just think it might be hard to find a dealer in another state that may do warranty work on a brand that will be no more. The dealer may think how soon will I we(the dealer) get reimbursed for the funds spent on a warranty repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't buy my xc to sell it. I think Polaris chose the wrong horse to saddle. There are plenty of reputable guru's to do anything I need done. Lloyd's , Pure Performance , The Vic Shop, dyno guys just to name a few. My bike is bulletproof so far and I have done nothing needed just wanted.
Quit whining. Shut up and ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the things I feel sucks for the new guys buying a Victory is not being able to get basic accessories for it in an easy , timely affordable fashion ... To dump all the accessories while still having 350,000 new bikes available is just another tucking to its current and future customers . I love my bike , but Polaris can go to Hell . I like others here have no intention of selling my bike . I want to hit 100,000 miles on it , no mater how long it takes .

·
Registered
426 Posts
This pretty much how I feel too. Polaris did something good and right with Victory. Unfortunately they were too stupid to understand it and market it correctly. The market is a tough one to break into without name recognition which I'm sure is why Polaris decided to drop their own creation and roll with an old name and another semi-new creation of theirs. It's just too bad they couldn't manage to keep the Victory brand alive somehow.

There are no perfect machines but some are much better than others. Victory qualifies as being better than most IMHO. To be honest; I was impressed with the Indian's I test rode but now there's no way Polaris can be trusted so no more of their products for me.

All true Kurbs. I've seen older HD Evo's with 175k miles on them with only top end rebuilds and the usual worn part replacement here and there. Seems like HD's that were either left stock engine-wise or rebuilt to fix the weak points did best and performed most reliably.

If I remember right; the total number of Vic's produced was around 125k. Not sure if that's a good guess are a true number but it sounds about right. The vast majority of those were sold after 2002 with advent of the "new" Vegas class. It kind of skyrocketed from there compared to previous years with all the new models ranging from JP's, Hammer's, KP's then later the Boardwalk which I still say should be been called the Kingpin 2.0 or something, and of course all the other models like the Highball and Gunner.

The big name recognition hit with the Vision; the futuristic bike one either loved or hated. Didn't seem to be a lot in between.

The the really big jump in sales happened (slowly at first but grew) with the X-Bikes. They really put Victory on the map and still does.

Polaris is a really stupidly run company for dropping Victory altogether. I can understand downsizing it to just the X-Bikes and Vegas but to shut it down completely was just plain ignorant.

All water under the bridge now though... Grrrrrr.
Considering Harley probably sells more Sportsters in a couple years than Polaris sold vics in 18 years its not surprising more are reported as poorer quality.

BMW had a few years issues with the final drive shaft. Dealer wanted huge bucks to fix, but with a couple hundred bucks you could fix it yourself. They were actually very easy bikes to work on yourself.

Most Vic guys are cheap. No getting around that. They got the bikes cheap and don't want to spend the money to upgrade or repair them at a dealer. So its no surprise they have not been reported as much out of warranty.

Its been said that the cheapest thing on a Vic is the rider. All anyone needs to do is read the forums and see the cheap mod ideas, people looking for free or cheap parts. I have had people ping me on sale items trying to get expensive exhausts, controllers, etc for a 10th of what the are worth. And most were posted t 50% or lower barely used.

Most people for some reason are intimidated by BMW maintenance. Mostly because they fear the electrical system. But in all my years and all my BMW's I never had any hard issues with bikes that exceeded the 100K mark easily. Some years did have softer top ends butt replacing valves is easy. I've seen some of those things with over 200K and running fine.

Harley is a crap shoot. The older ones cost a lot to push that high at times. The newer engines and gears have been proving themselves much better. Not buying a Harley due to that bis like not buying an Vic because of the V92 trans issues or the heads with oil weeping through the cast.

However the engine issues have been seen on the forums. As have the Transmission issues. Valves going bad. Needle Bearings. Electrical issues. Fuel pump issues. If Vic had quadrupled their sales, those numbers would have as well.

That being said, I ride my KP because its one of the best damn bikes I've ever had bar none. We have entered year 1 of the funeral and are already seeing a dearth of parts availability. I personally know 2 people who have had their bikes in THIS summer under warranty for over 2 months waiting on parts. 10 years my ass.

For what I have into my bike its worth keeping until it dies. Biggest fear would be the transmission. Engine parts I can get from Lloyd if this craps...this bike WILL be given a bigger engine. :)

And yes, reliability is not a huge issue if you take care of these bikes. However they are NOT bulletproof.

BUT will I take the chance that Polaris will continue making bikes? Nope. Even if they do I don't like the fit of an Injun at all. Don't trust the company will be in for the long haul.

So even if I DO pick a new bike up, BMW and HD WILL be in for the long haul. And tons of private shops work on them all over the place. WHY would I invest in another new Polaris product?

Finally....if these bikes are such pieces of crap...why do they both hold the highest used resale? Harley because of the image and name and fun not to mention thousands of aftermarket stuff...BMW because of the performance and reliability and ease to fix DIY as well as a lot of aftermarket.

Its Polaris I despise, not the bikes. But I also want to b able to get parts when I need them, not months down the road hoping for them to maybe get in.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Don't take it so hard buddy.... Yamaha is helping us get over this :grin

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
I'm sitting here in northern California right in the middle of a 2500 mile ride and my Vic is leaking oil as I type this so everyone stop pissing about other brand quality if I had one of those at least there is a chance of a dealer around to look at it, yes my bike that's still under warranty and a dead brand.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I'm sitting here in northern California right in the middle of a 2500 mile ride and my Vic is leaking oil as I type this so everyone stop pissing about other brand quality if I had one of those at least there is a chance of a dealer around to look at it, yes my bike that's still under warranty and a dead brand.
Prolly the shifter shaft seal. Just push it back in.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts