Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of questions: 1. What kind of gas mileage should I expect with my 2012 Vision? I know this depends on riding style etc, but I ride like the old man I am at 70. 400 miles on the bike so far and getting around 38 mpg.

2. This bike has an occasional backfire when letting off the gas. I talked to a guy that has an 08 Vision, and he said that Visions are notorious for this.

Any input greatly appreciated.

·
13,262 Posts
I get around 42 or 43 mpg on my 08. I add better performance exhaust and Lloydz timing wheel set at +4. I don't go into 6th gear till over 65 mph. Not sure when your shifting but that could be your problem. By the way I put in new spark plugs NGK every year from auto store p/n 3481.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
thats good mileage for a big heavy v twin
mine gets 14 kms per litre or 32 USMPG, but mines hot rodded and I ride it.
maybe 16 kpl cruising thats 37USMPG

By definition a backfire is firing back through the intake.
but its commonly mis-termed for a pop or bang out the exhaust, just a bit of unburnt fuel exploding in the exhaust, usually amplified by a hotrod exhaust system.
mine makes a loud Crack occasionally and snap crackle pops on decel.
sounds pretty cool hey!
Welcome to Victory

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds about right.

I have a 08 and 13 and get 36-42 on the bike computers regularly. You can see my mods below which I'm sure has helped but I can be a bit aggressive. If I was able to behave I could probably start over 40..... But that's hard to do.

Yours stock?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Unless you have a nice rumble and the heat shield are being held on with regular hose clamps they're probably stock.

The stock shield straps will be solid and pressure locked to secure them. When you cut them off to change the exhaust the SOP is to use hose clamps which will be slotted and tightened with a screw.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Yes, the backfire is normal for the Freedom engine which is what you have, it's all about how the engine breathes and unburned fuel, as MBX said collecting in the exhaust that will light off. It's not normally a really loud backfire but it does happen during city type riding with a lot of up and down shifts. I learned to ignore it long ago; I imagine you will too.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
mileage

My stock CCT gets 47mpg consistently running at least 70mph . It's a 106ci and I run 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
My stock CCT gets 47mpg consistently running at least 70mph . It's a 106ci and I run 93 octane.
Is this 47 mpg what the bike display reports or determined by your own calculations of miles driven divided by fuel quantity used?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Roy, I'm 80 and ride like one of my kids. The "backfire" is really exhaust popping or decel popping usually caused by shutting the throttle too quickly. Minimal throttle movement = minimal popping. No need to close the throttle between shifts - move it as little as possible.
Don't lug the engine. Yeah, its a torque monster, but it likes revs and you'll like the better mileage. Don't go into 2nd until you're over 20, 3rd over 30, etc. Don't ride under 2500 rpm. I don't put 'er in 6th until 70+ mph. I get high 40s to low 50s or better with the mods you see in my sig.
Now go out there and flog it Roy!

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I get nowhere near that and I certainly dont lug it

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
RoysVictory

use your phone to do the math on mpg. The gauge is off for the most part. But when you fill up go thew all the settings on the gauge and set them to zero you;ll get a better reading. but it will not be is accurate as the phone

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
mileage

Vinish that what's displayed on the bike. I haven't figured it on my own. I guess there could be some difference. All depends on how a person fills there tank. I try to squeeze as much in as possible. I've run it about 30 miles or more after the low fuel light comes on and put about 4 3/4 gallons it at that time. Probably could have got a little more in by leaning bike up straight..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have found the bike reported fuel mileage to be significantly higher than true fuel mileage. Like maybe 5-7 mpg higher. If you want to calculate it yourself, it matters less how you fill the tank than on your consistancy in how you fill the tank. Fill it the same way each time and you can accurately calculate your mileage.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I filled today and it calculated to 45 mpg. Miles divided by gallons. I think the first time was due to not knowing the bike, lug it a lot taking off in second. Didn't know if I was in first or not. As I get more adjusted to the bike, hopefully will stay around 40-45. Of course it doesn't really matter, I am going to ride it anyway.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks guys. I filled today and it calculated to 45 mpg. Miles divided by gallons. I think the first time was due to not knowing the bike, lug it a lot taking off in second. Didn't know if I was in first or not. As I get more adjusted to the bike, hopefully will stay around 40-45. Of course it doesn't really matter, I am going to ride it anyway.
What did the bike say compared to your calculations?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Computer on bike showed 48. So reasonably close.
Wow! I've never been course to that. Im always hard off the line which kills my mpg.

I always thought I was a tame rider but my gas and tire consumption say differently.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Sites gone all wierd on phone this is only way I can quote

Ricz
"But what's your mileage OFF the drag strip??"

Me
Thats all the time mate, no superslab freeway cruising for me,
Our roads and conditions are different, dunno what other Aussies are getting cos they dont seem to be here no more.
Most cant cop the bickering over politics and religion I guess.
Or they are silly enough to stick thier noses into aforementioned discussions.
Got a road closure today so Im forced to use the freeway .I'll top up before I leave and when I get back and try to ride for economy and see what I get.
I have to use a converter to go from kpl to usmpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts