Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During my weekend get-a-way I remembered something that came up here a year or two ago about filling the tank all the way to the top when traveling. When you stop for gas you can just fill it to the bottom of the spout in the tank or you can slowly add another gallon or so to really fill it to get another 30-45 miles out of the tank. A nice feature if crossing any wide open spaces. Drilling a hole in the top upper right vertical side will help it fill faster. DO NOT do this and then park it. Doing this is only for when you are immediately going back on the super slab or highway where you will be putting at least 20 miles before stopping. Otherwise you might lose that expensive fuel right out the overflow tube.

The other trick I learned requires the newly designed Madstad XC(T) shield bracket system that allows you to simply turn two hand screws while going down the road to lean the shield back.

The reason I discovered this is because I keep the shield at a more upright position for maximum comfort but when I hit a crazy bad head wind my Instant gas mileage went from 42 to 32. So I thought if I tilt the shield back it would create less wind resistance and it sure did. After leaning it back my Instant mileage went from 32 to 39. A much more acceptable mileage; especially at the $5 a gallon I was paying in SoCal. Plus it was still doing a good job at keeping the buffeting to a minimum; even with the head wind. I was using a fairly tall shield; one that I look through for touring. I'll be trying some others out for comparison.

If you don't yet have the Madstad system you are missing out on one of the very best aftermarket products available for these bikes. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the original design, even though I liked it, as I am for this new design. The only thing better would be something like what the Vision has; an electric shield. It works so well; you quickly forget the nerdy look to it. :D

Edit: Adding Pics. First two are with the shield positioned up and back. Third one is the same shield without the brackets.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
You learn something every day! Went into Mastad's web site to see what you were talking about. That bracket looks best on the XC they featured...like it came from the factory that way. Great product. If I had a XC, I'd be ordering a pair right now.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The other trick I learned requires the newly designed Madstad XC(T) shield bracket system that allows you to simply turn two hand screws while going down the road to lean the shield back.

:D
BBob,
How about some pictures of the shield mounted on your bike??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Picts please

:worthless without:

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 8 of 8 Posts