Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on here for several months now and am damn serious about the Victory. Particularly the Cross Country Tour. I'm currently on a 04 Yamaha Royal Star and am looking to move on. It's been a good bike but time for a change.
I love the looks of the Tour but have a few questions. I've read a few reviews, not on this site, where riders got rid of their Victory due to oil leaks that could not be fixed to their liking by the dealers. Has anyone experienced anything like this on their Victory?

I've been reading a thread on here regarding an upgrade on the sound system. I love listening to music through my IPOD when riding. How is the stock system on a Victory? I had to upgrade the system on my Yamaha and have never been very happy with it. Does the Victory have a radio that is easy to operate and find stations? The radio on the Yamaha is horrible.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I came over from a Royal Star Venture (3 of them actually and a Venture before that). Loved the Ventures and still have one. Like you, felt it was time to move on. I see another XCT in my future. 35,000 on the XCT and haven't had any oil leaks. I liked the Yamaha radio and cruise control controls much better than the Victory. Not really into music so won't offer an opinion on quality of sound. Radio presets on the Victory can only be changed in one direction--you have to cycle through all your presets if you go past the station you want. I also found the Yamaha volume control easier to deal with, especially when stopping at a light with the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came over from a Royal Star Venture (3 of them actually and a Venture before that). Loved the Ventures and still have one. Like you, felt it was time to move on. I see another XCT in my future. 35,000 on the XCT and haven't had any oil leaks. I liked the Yamaha radio and cruise control controls much better than the Victory. Not really into music so won't offer an opinion on quality of sound. Radio presets on the Victory can only be changed in one direction--you have to cycle through all your presets if you go past the station you want. I also found the Yamaha volume control easier to deal with, especially when stopping at a light with the clutch pulled in.
Thanks Bruce. I agree the Yamaha radio is easy to cycle through and the volume button is easy. The problem I have is you can't scan/seek and once out of your home area you have to keep stopping to find a station manually. To be fair, the oil leaks issues are discussed on a Harley forum which a good friend talked me into joining when he was trying to talk me into buying one. Nothing against Harley's but after being on the forum I don't want to buy into the Harley mentality where Harley is the ONLY ride out there. Of course there are some on the forum who like all kinds of rides but many are just plain rabid about everyone else sucks and stupid if they don't ride a Harley. Gets a little funny after awhile.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not much into listening to the radio, but I will say that the Tour has what I consider to be a good sounding stereo system, with more than adequate volume. But the controls are difficult to operate while riding.

My gripe is the cruise control. It's too sensitive to throttle movement and shuts off too easily.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Oil leaks. In particular you are probably referring to the porus heads that seem to pop up. Yes it happens, yes it is rare.

Radio is about as user friendly as it comes IMHO.
If you like listening to an IPOD, get a set of bluetooth intercomes, I prefer SENA, but there are several out there. Use these. The radio can be converted to go through the headsets, but it is expensive and seems a bit iffy on how well it works. Mine seems fine as for the speakers up to about 80 and I don't normally spend much time at that speed. FWIW

I rode two Ventures into the ground as well as a TD. Problems on them was too may sets of tires, gas went too fast, brakes wore out. Close to 340K on the 3 combined.

XCT, I've had problems. Bad ones. Trouble is after all the time in the shop and being thumbed by Vic, all the fix would have been if they did it right in the first place was rerouting a wiring harnes under the seat. :mad:

OK the last story was to tell you this. The dealers seem to be about the weakest link in the chain. A good one will make it great when you need them, a poor one will make you despise the brand. Victory isn't the only brand that is bothered by this, but do the research on the DEALER before you get in.

Chances are you won't need them much. IMHO the XCT is about the best rider I have ever been on. Yes they have quirks. All of them do, and places like this will get you through them, or at least you will know you aren't alone.

The water is fine, just make sure yo have good support when you need it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
No oil leaks on my 2012. Unless you are a real audiophile the stock stereo/speakers are fine... especially with the added rear speakers in the trunk. Once you get used to the controls they are easy and adequate.

Anyone having a problem with their cruise control should have the dealer adjust it for them.

I am on my second Cross Country and have been very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No oil leaks on my 2012. Unless you are a real audiophile the stock stereo/speakers are fine... especially with the added rear speakers in the trunk. Once you get used to the controls they are easy and adequate.

Anyone having a problem with their cruise control should have the dealer adjust it for them.

I am on my second Cross Country and have been very satisfied with them.
You may want to try this to see if it helps your cruise control.

EDIT: Found out Victory has changed the way this works. It won't work on bikes newer than 2010.

How set cruise control lash

1-Press & hold the resume & on/off buttons on the cruise control switch.

2-Turn the ignition switch on.

3-While holding both buttons, start the engine.

4-After the engine starts, watch the cruise indicator lamp on the indicator display until it goes out.

5-When the cruise control lamp goes out, release both buttons at the same time.

6-Press & hold the resume, the cruise indicator lamp should illuminate.

7-Listen for a brief increase in engine RPM(very slight RPM increase)as the cruise control module performs the procedure.

8-Release the resume button when the RPM drops down to idle speed & turn off engine.

The procedure is used when replacing the cruise control cable. The procedure takes any slack or free play out of the cruise cable where it connects to the throttle body.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a 2013 Cross Country Tour and love it.

I have no oil leaks. I do have the Victory stage one tri oval kit and the Lloydz timing wheel and am very happy with the performance. I have full synthetic oil in the engine since the 500 miles service that I preformed at the 479 mile mark. Very happy with the Victory's performance with full Synthetic oil. I am running Redline 20w-50 group 5 synthetic Motorcycle oil.

The Victory radio works fine, just read the manual about the radio and it won't take you long to figure it out.

The volume is very good even on the interstate at 70 miles per hour. I do have a set of Victory kicker speakers on the way for mine. Victory says the Kicker speakers enhance the quality of the sound over the stock speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well. Went to a local dealer and perused the 2014 CC Tour. I sat on one a few years ago at the International MC Show in DC but this one felt very good. Love the balance and weight distribution feel. Didn't get a chance to start it, listen to radio or anything. In a couple weeks after some business trips I'll go back for all that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Victory1, I tried the cruise control lash calibration, but the cruise control light never did go off. And when I finally got tired of holding the buttons down and released them, the cruise control light started flashing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Victory1, I tried the cruise control lash calibration, but the cruise control light never did go off. And when I finally got tired of holding the buttons down and released them, the cruise control light started flashing.
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4240

This procedure was from this thread.

I have done some more research and found that Victory has changed the module and this no longer works on bikes from 2011 and newer. It will work for 2010 and older bikes.

For newer bikes you need to see your Victory dealer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had my XC for about 9 months and I consider it the best bike I've ever owned , I have the kicker speakers and the sound is awesome, I can ever hear it at 80 mph with a full face helmet on, I just recently added the tour pack and having the 2nd set of speakers makes a big deal, I will upgrade the 2nd set though, not as powerful as the kickers, no oil leaks, no issues at all with the cruise control, did 6k in 12 days out west earlier this summer, spent 80% of that time in cruise mode and it worked flawlessly

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm sitting outside tonight waxing my bike listening to the stereo I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm sitting outside tonight waxing my bike listening to the stereo I couldn't be happier
Brazillian? I know some refer to machines as "her" but this seem extreme,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my current Royal Star the battery is easy to access as it's under the seat. I see it's a little more difficult to access on the Tour. I have my GPS, Gerbing heated gear and battery tender wired to the battery on the Yamaha. Can I assume this won't be an issue on the Tour? Actually, the dealer did say they pre wire the pig tail for the tender before it's sold so that one is already present.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've been lurking on here for several months now and am damn serious about the Victory. Particularly the Cross Country Tour. I'm currently on a 04 Yamaha Royal Star and am looking to move on. It's been a good bike but time for a change.
I love the looks of the Tour but have a few questions. I've read a few reviews, not on this site, where riders got rid of their Victory due to oil leaks that could not be fixed to their liking by the dealers. Has anyone experienced anything like this on their Victory?

I've been reading a thread on here regarding an upgrade on the sound system. I love listening to music through my IPOD when riding. How is the stock system on a Victory? I had to upgrade the system on my Yamaha and have never been very happy with it. Does the Victory have a radio that is easy to operate and find stations? The radio on the Yamaha is horrible.

Thanks
Been riding my 13 XCT since January, this weekend just turned 19,000 miles. I am coming from a 2005 GL 1800, AKA Gold Wing after 100,000 miles.

This is what I have found on my XCT.

Issues:
Battery terminals come loose, Lock washer fixes that. When the terminals comes loose all kind of stupid things happen for no apparent reason.
Hot days the seat get Super hot, too hot to ride for any lenght of time. Found that the Catalytic converters were working at about 1400*F and transmitting all that heat into the frame and engine. Removed offending cats and bike is a pleasure to ride.
Stalling on Decel or after a long decel. Idle Air control valve fault, reset with digital wrench and problem goes away for a while. Looks like this is cause by a loose battery conection. Installation of a Lloyds IAV helps also.
If you are an agressive rider the stock rubber sucks, after about 2-3K miles the tires get hard and traction is limited. Rain traction is horrible. swapped mine for Avon Cobra's and the difference is night and day. Cobra's are designed for heavy touring bikes, had many a set on my GL1800. Loved them!
Weather tight switch pods ( Cruise, Comms, Radio controls) Design sucks if you ride in wet weather. The pods get wet that effects the control circuts.
Control functions, Volume is a multifunction switch acts on which ever circut is active at the time interesting design takes some getting used to.
If CB is installed, the stock antenna location is hard to tune due to the close proximity of the steel rear fender. A relocation to the trunk works well.

I have found the XCT down on power compared to my GL1800, thus the mods in my Sig.

Over all a great bike lots of storage, easy to handle slow or fast and great weather protection for the rider.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Can I assume this won't be an issue on the Tour? .
Kyle Crandal is going to be in Mechanicsville MD at Motovation Cycles 21-23 Oct. Come down and talk to him idf you have time. He is a great guy and a expert tuner on these bikes. Issues Get them straight from the guy that fixes them.

This date is a Dyno and Cam setup, My XCT will be having Touring Cams installed and dyno tuned. Stop in and chat with Kyle and whomever is going to be there.

Address is in the linky below.

www.motovationcycles.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 2011 Cross Country I have turned into a Tour. I can tell you I have never had a problem with this bike so much so I am reluctant to purchase a 2014 tequila gold with flames. Everytime I change the oil on this bike it seems to get smoother and more fun to drive. My wife loves the tour pack and I think the bike is beautiful when you take it off and handles it extremley well. I have demo'd lot's of the competitions bikes which look good to but just don't do it for me. I get lot's of compliments on my bike because it is different.

I do like the looks of the Indian Chieftain and like bikes with lot's of technology built in. I do wish I had ABS though.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Thanks
I have a 2012 CCT and for the most part, I have loved it. It is a great bike for long distance riding with more than plenty of storage space. Have had no oil leak issues. The only issue I've had is that the Low Fuel Light will come on with just over 2 gals. left instead of the 1.0 gal. the owners manual says, and the Fuel Gauge isn't worth the money it cost either. Just get use to using one of your Trip Meters as your Fuel Gauge and you'll be fine.
I plug my iPhone 4S in the glove box sometimes, and have no issues with the sound system, but since I have a SENA Headset, I don't use the speakers that much anymore.
I almost bought a Venture instead because I already had a VStar 950 Tourer and was very pleased with the VStar line, but I'm glad I went with the CCT.
Stay away from Vic accessories though, they're crazy overpriced, and there is plenty of after market accessories for it now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kyle Crandal is going to be in Mechanicsville MD at Motovation Cycles 21-23 Oct. Come down and talk to him idf you have time. He is a great guy and a expert tuner on these bikes. Issues Get them straight from the guy that fixes them.

This date is a Dyno and Cam setup, My XCT will be having Touring Cams installed and dyno tuned. Stop in and chat with Kyle and whomever is going to be there.

Address is in the linky below.

www.motovationcycles.com
Wish I could be there but work won't allow is at that time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts