Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my XC with custom pin-striping done by the previous owner. For the most part I like the strips but the stars bursts or whatever they are are not growing on me and I've had enough of the comments about having "flowers" on my bike :mad:
I'd like to cover the star bursts or best just remove them all together. I thought of having them done over in black. Anyone have any other artsy-fartsy thoughts on what to do with the star bursts?
Any ideas on how to remove the pin strip paint without damaging the factory finish?

Here's pics of the star bursts:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Star removeale.

I recently did some pinstriping on my bike. First time playing with this stuff. Went to an autobody paint supply store. They recomment a sign paint. That's what I used,he may not have used that. I cleaned off the area first with a little acidtone. Then I pin striped it. Let it dry a couple of days. Then I went over it with TurtleWax Glass, clear wax/sealer. So after having the pin striping on it for a couple of weeks the paint was dryed pretty good. Some of the striping I did not really care for. I used some acidtone on the pinstriping. Let it soak on the parts for a minute and commenced to rubbing. It came off ,not the easiest , but it did come off. Then I rewaxed the area I had just rubbed the pin stripping off of . It is worth trying a little acidtone and elbow grease if it works, it was cheap to remove from the bike. If the guy used some other paint and had it clear coated on top of that good luck getting it off.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Acetone will work. If you don't have any around just head to the kitchen and grab the easy off. Works well too. Just mask off what you wanna keep. I highly doubt it was cleared over.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I had my XC pinned last year at Americade and it wasn't clear coated. I agree, i would not want those flower designs on my ride. What the hell was the original owner thinking? :crzy:

·
13,028 Posts
acetone will eat the clear
easy off oven spray works good but best to cover all area you do not want it on.
After words go to a detail shop or body shop and have them buff the shine back in

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestions......
The pin-stripping is not cleared over. I'll grab a can of Easy-Off today and report back as to how it goes.

Double thanks for the the vid, Chainsaw :) ....If the oven cleaner took care of that job, my little less than a year old star bursts should come off in a snap.

·
13,028 Posts
EVERY ONE

If you didn't catch it oven cleaner will not work on clear coat.

Don't ever wet sand your bike have a pro do it.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It worked perfectly and cleaned up real nice but removing the stripes does take many spray & scrub sessions. I ended up removing all the star bursts and also the tank and fairing pin stripes, just left the fender and bags with them on. The bike is much less busy now with no "flowers"...The things bugged me and now with them off I realize how goofy they actually looked on this bike. I'm very happy with how this turned out.
The previous owner also epoxied something to the clutch cover that fell off and left the glue, I decided to fix that while I was at it(that's the tape/drape seen in the last pic).
Here's the process

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here it is after a wash & wax

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
1000% better! thumb up

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking the bike over and talking with one of my riding buds...we decided to finish the "man-a-fication" of my XC the bag pin stripes really had to go....I will keep the fender work, those pin stripes are subtle and set the bike off a little.

before:

after:

before:

after:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Shoooooo!!!!! that definitely was a have-to job. Much better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice choice on removing more of the striping. I myself am a (hobbyist) pinstriper, but I am a firm believer in giving a bike what it needs,. and not forcing anything on it. A lot of what was on there before, was very forced and felt out of place. True good pinstripes, should almost blend in seamlessly with the bike and not stand out.
Glad your getting your bike like you want it!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice choice on removing more of the striping. I myself am a (hobbyist) pinstriper, but I am a firm believer in giving a bike what it needs,. and not forcing anything on it. A lot of what was on there before, was very forced and felt out of place. True good pinstripes, should almost blend in seamlessly with the bike and not stand out.
Glad your getting your bike like you want it!
You're dead on with that....it was way over done. I'm much happier with the cleaned up look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll have to give this a try myself. One of the previous owners put some pin-striping on and told me it was "hand painted". It must have been someone with bad eyes, as the striping on the tank is crooked! So I think it's simply decals, and shouldn't be that hard to come off. My bike is black and silver, and the white/red pin-striping doesn't look good to me at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts