Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It ran fine yesterday and today it started with the enricher, turned off the enricher it stalled and now it won't run. The fuel pump is ticking, the lights are bright. The battery is the original 2007, but I feel if it cranks it should be strong enough to start. Going to spray staring fluid in the cyclinders to see if it's starving for fuel, I will then crank it with the plugs out to see if I have spark. Any other ideas? are there fuses I should be looking for?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New E3 plugs < 50 Miles, If the lights are on I would assume the key is on.

What about the fuel pumps, bad seals? I saw another post where a 2007 Vegas had a bad pump.

Do you think this ould be covered under that 5 year warranty?

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Vic's are notorious for being a pain if the battery is tired.

One thing popped in my head though. You can spray carb cleaner into the throttle bodies to see if you get some action. If you do; I'd look at the fuel filter as being the culprit.

But the battery being 5 years old would be something I'd look at first. It's time to replace it anyway...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alot of the efi systems will not work if cranking voltage gets lower than 9 volts. Always remember the Battery is the heart of the whole electrical system, in my Shop I have seen alot of simple problems caused by a bad battery.

·
Registered
229 Posts
my 07 hammer just got her 3rd battery...
the last owner put a very cheap carquest (was 16 instead of the ytx20) battery in and im pretty sure it is right around a year old. i went with the yuasa for alittle more $.
take it somewhere and get it load tested, dont just check the voltage, mine was reading 12.50 but failed the load test miserably, it started the bike great 2 times earlier in the day, then boom, nothing.

i would still guess spark plugs first tho, they are cheapest place to start, even if yours are still new, nothing wrong with spares. i fouled mine out on the kingpin a couple weeks ago right when i got it. but my bike was full of old fuel, had been sitting, and somone had messed with the throttle to where you had to leave the enrichener half on just to get her to idle warm...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Doesn't really matter how new the plugs are if you started and stopped it without it getting hot, especially with it cutting out when you had the enricher on, they could be fouled.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You say the fuel pump is "ticking"? It should Hum for about 3 secs and shut off when the switch is pressed to Run.Do you hear this? I ask cause i had a Bad fuel pump on a 2004 that had 417 miles from the guy leaving gas in there the year or years before. You can also test it with a test light at the fuel pump connector to make sure its getting the juice it needs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: It was the plugs

Plugs fouled, try new set of spark plugs.
It was the plugs, E3 with 50 miles, I did put 6 oz. of ZMax in the tank. I'm thinking that was it. The new owner said "there was a film on the plugs". I ran the tank down to 1/4 tank then filled it up. It ran a few more days than stopped. I'm thinking either the Zmax or a bad tank of gas.

Two thumbs up for Bikendad cheers

·
Registered
520 Posts
It was the plugs, E3 with 50 miles, I did put 6 oz. of ZMax in the tank. I'm thinking that was it. The new owner said "there was a film on the plugs". I ran the tank down to 1/4 tank then filled it up. It ran a few more days than stopped. I'm thinking either the Zmax or a bad tank of gas.

Two thumbs up for Bikendad cheers
I'm amazing at times :), glad you got it running!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts