Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Cranks, Starts then Dies

18K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Bucky5454 
#1 ·
Ok. Here is the cenario. Started bike heading to gas station. I was very low on fuel to the point that when going down hill bike sputtered. Made it to the station. Filled up started the bike, turned around heading out of parking lot. Just about to pull out bike dies.

So now I have siphoned the gas out. Put 2.5 gallons from another fuel station. Replaced the battery still same problem. You can hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on. I placed my ear on the tank when bike tries to idle. You can hear the fuel pump but it surges. So is that my next issue or is there possibly something else?

#2 ·
What kind of bike do you have? If you suspect the fuel pump is not supplying fuel properly for your bike to run, you can confirm by using carb cleaner. It's much easier on a car but the principle is the same. Gain access to the air filter, pull filter out and spray a lil carb cleaner over the throttle bodies. Hit the starter button and if/when it fires up, spray the carb cleaner at throttle bodies in short quick bursts. If you can keep it idling this way but not with the fuel pump alone, then you confirmed the issue is lack of fuel.

#4 ·
I've seen many a bad fuel pump get suspected then "eliminated" based on a pressure test. You can't completely diagnose a fuel pump on a pressure test alone. You can have high enough pressure but not enough volume. Pressure does not equal volume. Quicker just to go straight for the carb cleaner method.

#5 ·
I've heard that running a tank to empty sucks any dirt or debrie into the fuel system clogging it or forces fuel pumps to fail prematurely.

Could that be what happened here?

#6 ·
Unfortunately I have ran the bike out of gas on two previous occasions. Anyone know if you can order a new pump only or do I need to get the whole assembly from Victory which is $365.00. Also with the recall on 2013-2015 bikes what is the new part number on the fuel pump so I don't get a bad one?

#7 ·
I think your options on fuel pumps are to buy the entire assembly or send it to The Vic Shop (or similar) for rebuild.

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
Your getting some good advice.

Have you tried the factory procedure of priming the pump?
I'd start there. I'd try it a couple of times by the book.

It must be in both manuals for a reason. Perhaps what you are experiencing is the reason. Don't know till you try.
In the manual there is about 20 pages devoted to diagnosing what would seem to be a bad fuel pump. Would be worth your time to download a manual and pick your way through it eliminating the other possibilities one by one.

I would try the carb cleaner method of keeping it running as was recommended.
I always use gas in a good very small pump spray bottle.
I fill it completely with gas to keep the amount of air in the bottle to a minimum. ( don't tell anyone as it is probably unsafe) I do it outside with a fire extinguisher with the pin pulled out next to me.
I keep 2 fire extinguishers in the shop.
I do it away from the house, and the shop out in my gravel driveway. If I lived in the suburbs I would have an empty metal container with a lid handy to set the be spray bottle in should something go wrong and a lid to smother it or contain it. Metal trash can would be good.

I also cover up with a heavy jacket and gloves when I do it. However do unsafe things at your own risk. I'm in no way recommending you do anything you feel is out of your comfort zone.
Especially things that could lead to your own death should things go terribly wrong. I've never tried it with carb cleaner and that will be my first go to in the future. However I can't comment on how well that works as I have always used gas. But either should accomplish the same thing. One sounds a bunch safer than the other.

So if it continued to run with me spraying gas as needed or carb cleaner as needed. I would consider that proof that the pump or injectors might not be providing what is necessary for the bike to run. I would then glance at the injector plugs just to be sure everything looks plugged in. I'd also keep in mind that there is a fuel pressure pulse damper on the rail too.
No idea how to check that?

I might next throw in a new fuel pump relay or swap it with an identical relay (on a x bike the accessory relay) to see if the problem goes away and I would replace both the fuses associated with the circuit cause they are so cheap. (see manual) Don't forget to really inspect the plug that powers up the pump, under the tank. Maybe it never got plugged in all the way and has become damaged by arcing internally and is showing up just now. There is more in the manual to try.

If the relays etc did not fix it I would figure out how to rig up a pressure test without the required vic adapter. Harbor freight has a cheap auto fuel pressure gauge that you might be able to butcher to make it work on your bike? (Don't forget to ask around for 20% off coupons). If you buy a Harbor fright gauge you might want to hook it to your car first to be sure it works as advertised, before you start cutting it up if that becomes necessary.

Or just call a dealer and haul it in on a truck and have them do just the test. That can't be too expensive and it will tell you if the problem is really a lack of pressure or not.

If it turned out that it was a lack of pressure I would pull the pump and inspect the pump inlet filters to see if they are clogged. No gas in, no pressure out.

At the end of all that and the other tests in the manual, if it still wasn't running I might consider buying a new pump. But that would be down the road.
Right now you are assuming it is a fuel problem and it could be, but it could also be electrical, clogged filters or a connection or contact. Stuff happens.

#11 ·
More than likely is but I wouldn't spend $350 on a part based on an educated guess would you? If it was $10 I'd just buy one and see if it was it. With more expensive parts, I don't play "Mr. Partchanger", I diagnose and prove the part to be bad before buying a replacement. Even though it's most likely a fuel pump, for the amount of money, I'd trouble shoot it and verify before I dropped the money.

#12 ·
Thanks Joe and Rebel! Really appreciate the advise. I really don't want to have to spend $365. I am going to test the main circuit this evening or just run up to Napa and get one to hang test. It just seems electrical doing something to the fuel pump. You can hear it just fine then crank and it starts then almost immediately starts poping and sounds like one cylinder is hitting. I have started it while giving it fuel. It revs up missing and backfiring the entire time. Wondering if the main circuit breaker is weak and just reseting. Heck its only eight bucks hope that is it!

I have never rebuilt a fuel pump so if this isn't it I may just call the guys at the vic shop. I have seen Walbro pumps on ebay for 100 bucks and I am sure it is only the pump itself. I just don't know if it is worth the hassel or if it is possible. Right now I am just kicking myself in the butt for letting my bike run that low on fuel a couple times this last year. Seems I was always trying to get to a non-ethanol fuel station. Really not a good reason!

#13 ·
Thanks Joe and Rebel! Really appreciate the advise. I really don't want to have to spend $365. I am going to test the main circuit this evening or just run up to Napa and get one to hang test. It just seems electrical doing something to the fuel pump. You can hear it just fine then crank and it starts then almost immediately starts poping and sounds like one cylinder is hitting. I have started it while giving it fuel. It revs up missing and backfiring the entire time. Wondering if the main circuit breaker is weak and just reseting. Heck its only eight bucks hope that is it!
Sounds like a good place to start. I hear that sooner or later those fail and it definitely sounds feasible that it's what is giving you fits now.

After you do that , I would strongly suggest starting by down loading a manual from here.
I think that Bbob has a link in his signature that will get you what you need. If I have the wrong name someone please jump in and correct me.

Most everything on these later victories is run through the computer in some way or another. Because of that I am hesitant to trouble shoot the electronics without carefully reading the applicable chapter of the manual first. I'm not being a chicken either. I know quite a bit about computer controlled equipment. Rule number one follow the instructions if someone is willing to share them with you.

To be honest I read the part of the manual that has to do with what I am attempting to troubleshoot a couple of times before I start doing anything that has to do with wires on one of these.

You don't want to accidentally do something that ends up costing you more money than where you are at now. if you closely follow the manual you won't.

Good luck and though I am no Vic expert there are a lot of them who chime in when people get stuck here. It's really a great forum.
Don't be bashful about posting what you find. For every few suggestions that dosen't fix something there is often one that does.cheers

#15 ·
For all the work you have to go threw don't take a chance get a new pump from reliable source. If the bike is back firing as much as you say it from lack of fuel. Like I said the pump has to give you fifty pounds of pressure. Sorry your ear can not tell you that

#16 ·
Well I am going with the pump. I called the Vic Shop. He only rebuilds the older model pumps. I have the tank off. Called all around no one has it in stock. So I guess Monday I will place the order. Wish it had been the main breaker

#19 ·
Jumper

Jumper the circuit breaker. Run a jumper wire from side to side of the circuit breaker. IF it then runs you know the circuit breaker is popping or breaking contact inside. Then you can go ahead and spend the money on the circuit breaker and not the high dollar amount on the fuel pump hopefully. Good luck.....Also if your fuel filters are very dirty that could be the problem. If the circuit breaker is good. Pull the pump as planned. Check the fuel filters if they are very dirty remove the filters if you feel ok about doing that. Set the tubes into clean gas or even diesel(won't blow up) and turn the pump on by suppling it with 12v of power if it pumps fuel good install the gauge. If it pumps 50psi, then just install new fuel filters and reinstall it in the tank.:)

#20 · (Edited)
So I had already preformed a hang test with a new circuit breaker. The fuel pump never had the high pitch sound as it used to during priming even on this new battery fully charged. Once cranked it would start idle fine for about 3 seconds and then die. As it was running for those 3 or more seconds with my ear on the tank you could hear the pump going up and down. Once removed there wasn't any physical damage. The filter sock is just slightly colored in places ohterwise seems fine. New parts should be here this week.

#21 ·
Ok this really sucks! The fuel pump moved from being shipped on 13 FEB to 20 MAR! What a pain! Wish I had the skill to rebuild the darn thing!

#22 ·
Here is a thought. Since your not positive the pump is bad and you have it out, is there a way that you can jerry rig a pressure gauge on it ,submerse it in a metal bucket full of gas and double check that it is the problem?
Do the flammable parts outside with a fire extinguisher handy of course.:)

Or take just the pump and tank to a dealer who has the proper adapter and gauge and verify that the pump is indeed bad. Looks like your going to have some time on your hands either way.

Just thinking out loud here.

#23 ·
Update! New Pump came in yesterday but wait for it! Now I need a new fuel line because Victory has changed the outside diameter of the fuel nipple from 9.5mm to 11.8. Its also a little longer. Damn I am pissed. I called the dealership and couldn't believe when the guy told be to just make a hose. I right then just called the customer hotline number. I already had a case number. They told me to have the dealer deal with Ma Vic and see what they could do. Called the dealership back and basically after I did all the research just gave up gave them the part number of the new line. I have to pay the full price of it. On Vic's website its 62.99 but at the dealership it is 69 bucks! WTH. This is not the dealership I bought my bike from but its only 20 min away. If I could hit the lottery I would open an Indian / Victory dealership and just beat down this other dealership!

#24 · (Edited)
That was it!!!!! Finally received the new fuel line that goes with the new fuel pump! Primed the crap out of it and she started up! Still took a few more tries than my brand new bike did. I bought a new Magnum a week ago (made a deal with the wife to sell my 93 RX7) and although its sweet and really comfortable my Highball is just freaking fast and fun!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions!

#27 ·
I know when I need to get fuel based on mileage. My fault was always trying to make it to a Non-Ethanol fuel station. I guess I will just get some Ethanol eliminator for the garage when I know I won't be riding for a while.
cheers

#29 ·
Sounds like one of my old Soldiers is going to buy the RX7. He's a good kid and is going to keep it pretty much original as I have. All I have done is reliability mods to it. I have faced the facts that the car is either going to get me killed or thrown in jail. Also it SUCKS getting in an out of!!!! My 2nd Gen was a lot easier to get in and out. I am getting to old and fat to mess with it. I really enjoy the bikes though. I will admit the Magnum is going to make me more limber getting on and off. I am a really short person. Only issue is the kickstand. Want to find an extension for it!!!!

#31 ·
Your right Johnny! Just won't be stupid about it anymore! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.