Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next question. This morning I woke up and decided to remove the crash bar or is it highway bar? Anyway I was removing the bolt to the frame and found something strange. Is the frame not soild but bolted together? And how to remove the bar if it is. I wouldn't want to remove the bolt if it's holding the frame together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
NO....IMHO....I've always had crash bars or highway bars, whatever you want to call them on all my motorcycles and wouldn't be without them. Forget the cool factor...They are there for you and the bikes protection. You must have woke up from a bad dream.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
This old dad has to go along with olddad - fuggedabout the cool. You'll be glad they are there when a tip over happens and it saved you hundreds of $$. Or protected your leg in a go down. I speak from both experiences.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they really matter that much? Most bikes don't even have them on. I've just been stripping down the bike and have been liking it more and more with each piece I remove.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Do they really matter that much? Most bikes don't even have them on. I've just been stripping down the bike and have been liking it more and more with each piece I remove.
The crash bars save me and my bike from major injuries when a girl on a cell phone popped out of a side street and did this.... Note how far it DID NOT go over.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you may have just sold me on keeping it with that pic. Thanks for the concern. So what about my frame question is it 2 pieces?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Motor guard is what I know them as.

The frame looks like it's bolted to me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well you may have just sold me on keeping it with that pic. Thanks for the concern. So what about my frame question is it 2 pieces?
Yes, the frame is bolted. The engine mounting points are higher up on the frame. My Hammer has a front engine mounting point on the front cylinder head. Regardless of whether you keep the crash bar or not (and you should), that bolt needs to be replaced. My new crash bar provided two new slightly longer bolts that took into consideration the added metal of the crash bar.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
The lower parts of the frame are not for frame stability like on other makes of motorcycles you might be familiar with; they are for bolting parts to and maybe looks. The engine itself is the third/lower member of the frame. when you take the engine out all there is left is the top member. It's a sound but different design.

I don't run a crash bar on my KP and have never had a desire to do so but I am glad they are on the XC.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The engine should be supported if you ever do remove that bolt.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah I get it. I thought it was a little strange the bike frame would be held together by 2 bolts.

·
13,262 Posts
if this works you can see your frame assemble

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well its also bolted at the top front cylinder. All the mounts act together to form a stiff member with the engine. You probably could pull that bolt out but it woulkd put some strain on the other side and upper mount. So to keep everything aligned it would be wise to support the engine to eliminate that strain.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Next question. This morning I woke up and decided to remove the crash bar or is it highway bar? Anyway I was removing the bolt to the frame and found something strange. Is the frame not soild but bolted together? And how to remove the bar if it is. I wouldn't want to remove the bolt if it's holding the frame together.
Why would you wanna remove the crash bar? It will stop your tank from denting if you tip-over

Anyway, yes the left and right bottom frame is bolted from frame to engine.... You can take the bolts our and replace them, the engine wil not move....

On your picture, did you remove the lock-nut or is it missing?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
NO....IMHO....I've always had crash bars or highway bars, whatever you want to call them on all my motorcycles and wouldn't be without them. Forget the cool factor...They are there for you and the bikes protection. You must have woke up from a bad dream.
Here here, true... My jackpot has no crashbars and it cost me a considerable amount fixing her up.... If I would have a crashbar than maybe the tank wouldn't be dented

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
The thing with the tube type crash bars is they are really only any good in a tip over. If the bike is moving forward at any speed and goes down on the side the bar will bend back if it meets any real resistance. It could even trap a riders foot if they didn't get it out of the way in time.

This is why the forged crash bars on the early X-bikes were so cool. Far beefier and not prone to bending. In fact they would break before they bent and it would take a lot more force to break them than to bend the tube bars.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Why would you wanna remove the crash bar? It will stop your tank from denting if you tip-over

On your picture, did you remove the lock-nut or is missing
Well it's a new toy and I can't ride it so I've been pulling off everything to see how it looks. And it's not missing. I had already unscrewed it before I realized the frame was held together by it. So against better judgement I pulled it off to see how it looked. But with all the very positive comments for the bar I might put it back on. I just really like a stripped down bike. And it seems that each item I pull off, the beautiful paint and lines of the bike just show more and more

Attachments

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
The thing with the tube type crash bars is they are really only any good in a tip over. If the bike is moving forward at any speed and goes down on the side the bar will bend back if it meets any real resistance. It could even trap a riders foot if they didn't get it out of the way in time.
AHEM Bbob....I was moving forward in that photo above. Bar protected my leg and the bike very well and did not bend. Got a an abrasion on the bottom though. I filed it smooth, put a clear coat on it and no one sees it. Insurance cover its replacement along with some other repairs I did and pocketed the check.

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Well it's a new toy and I can't ride it so I've been pulling off everything to see how it looks. And it's not missing. I had already unscrewed it before I realized the frame was held together by it. So against better judgement I pulled it off to see how it looked. But with all the very positive comments for the bar I might put it back on. I just really like a stripped down bike. And it seems that each item I pull off, the beautiful paint and lines of the bike just show more and more
I don't have a crashbar, but I would love to install the forged bars... Yes I like naked bikes to, but these bars WORK....

I am even considering adding these "frame sliders" that you can buy, at least it's something to protect if a tip-over happens, especially now POLARIS stopped making our beloved vics

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts