Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 Jackpot with the swept exhaust.
I periodically here a noice that can best be described as like bolts in a coffee can bouncing around. It comes and goes. It typically is heard at the high end of 2nd gear and up . When accelorating, etc...
IT comes and goes. I ride without helmet and is heard by my wife on the bike and other riders.I have taken to 3 dealerships and they cant duplicate the noise as they say.
I wanted to ask if anyone out there is experiencing the same....

Thanks,
JT

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I own a 2009 Jackpot with the swept exhaust.
I periodically here a noice that can best be described as like bolts in a coffee can bouncing around. It comes and goes. It typically is heard at the high end of 2nd gear and up . When accelorating, etc...
IT comes and goes. I ride without helmet and is heard by my wife on the bike and other riders.I have taken to 3 dealerships and they cant duplicate the noise as they say.
I wanted to ask if anyone out there is experiencing the same....

Thanks,
JT
Was it lowered? If yes, your belt's rubbing inside the pulley cover, and you need to modify it by shaving/grinding it a little, as shown in the picture below.

Drive Pulley Cover inside shot modified for lowered bike.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately it was not lowered.
I had the dealrships check the exhaust who knows if they did but they say it is not there...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately it was not lowered.
I had the dealrships check the exhaust who knows if they did but they say it is not there...
Does it do it when you're riding solo or only when passenger's on board?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow I have not even thought to check that. I am always riding with her on back..
I have some homework to do. I need to do that .. Thanks for that information

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Wow I have not even thought to check that. I am always riding with her on back..
I have some homework to do. I need to do that .. Thanks for that information
Usually this happens when the bike is lowered, but you could be seeing a combination of a few factors. Passenger on board lowers the rear a little, high RPM in 2nd gear is when the weight of the bike shifts to the rear more than at other RPMs or gears, and an aged rear suspension might not be as stiff as it once was.

I recommend removing the pulley cover and doing a visual inspection on the area circled (see picture in previous post). If it rubs there, you will see the marks on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am riding solo tonite to see about the noice. I did not hear it when I rode to the dealership. Then I will do the visual inspection that u showed in the previous post.
TY

·
12,984 Posts
maybe with the wife on you half to stiffen the shock up.
Lay on ground and with flash light look up under fender for rub marks

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
While there; check rear pulley for bolt tightness. You could rub some bar soap on the sides of the belt to rule out any noise coming from it. Lastly, if nothing else is found, check the front pulley to see if it's still torqued down good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update to all. While at Daytona I spoke to the Victory team and had someone take my bike on a ride. They are sending me replacment baffles when they return from the Daytona event. They said the same thing has happened with other JP bikes and it was cracked baffles.
I will update more when they come in. I am now looking to get bike lift so I can get under bike to see anything. Dealerships have been unhelpful..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sweet. You found out A: what it is & B: it won't cost you anything
Had the same sound on my shotguns, caused by a loose screw holding the baffle in place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update- Noise id gone

So,
After all this time I finally figured out what was making the noise......
Witht the help of my buddy, we determined that the noise was caused by my belt being too loose..... I am so shocked that the dealership could not identify this ..
It took all but 15 minutes to fix.....
Hell YEah.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts