Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we have endured one of the hottest Septembers in memory where it has basically been too hot to ride. Now we get a few fronts and all of the sudden...where the heck is my jacket!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Well, we have endured one of the hottest Septembers in memory where it has basically been too hot to ride. Now we get a few fronts and all of the sudden...where the heck is my jacket!
Yeah, they are predicting Friday and Saturday mornings to be in the 30's here.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
It looks like we are going to have a early winter this year. I just hope we don't have any blizzards this year. I'm old and it's hell on me to dig out.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
It looks like we are going to have a early winter this year. I just hope we don't have any blizzards this year. I'm old and it's hell on me to dig out.
I bet they have a run on snow blowers soon. Maybe even now if they are available.

We almost never get much snow at 3300' elevation. A couple of inches that melts before noon is the norm but last Feb we got 18". I was pretty much stuck for 4 or 5 days. Then we didn't get the normal monsoon season here which is bad for the livestock/ranches. A very mild summer but still in the upper 90's and low 100's. This month has so far been normal for October. Nice 80's days with wind over 20 mph on some days. I don't like the wind at all. Pretty much ruins an otherwise nice day.

Going to take a ride today and a break from working on the house. Next two days are supposed to be windy. :( Looks like my painting project is going to take longer than expected. Oh well; as long as it gets done before the cold weather sets in. Can't paint when it gets below 60 degrees without risking peeling.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
By the way NAB; we are on just about the same latitude. The mountain ranges and wind patterns between us must be why we have such different weather so often.
Yeah, we are 3317' above sea level. Closes mountains are about 230 miles west of us in New Mexico. We have had 17 or 18 inch snows. But what can make the snow bad here is when it comes down with a 60mph wind. Then you have five foot drifts that make it imposable to get down the roads. The county does not have the snow removal equipment to clear the roads fast enough and many roads are impassable for days.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Yeah our crazy weather. Last Thursday morning me and 4 other people headed out on a 350 mile ride down south. Mid 50's when we left. So you have to dress pretty warm in the 50's heading down the highway at 75 mph. The further south we went the warmer it got. It was 97 degrees F. when we arrived at our destination. It was still warm outside when we went to bed, sometime around midnight. A front blew in over night and it was pretty chilly the next morning with high gusty winds in the desert. Riding was difficult with the wind gust and cold. But we did our ride anyway. It got into the low 70's that evening. Day 3 was better with a chilly start, but very low winds and we had a great ride over the mountains along the Rio Grande River road on the Texas, Mexico border. By that afternoon we were back in our shirt sleeves. Heading back home on Sunday after a big bowl of menudo, the morning was cool and in the 80's when we arrived home. Other than cold weather with high winds and blowing dust Friday the trip was outstanding. This time of the year you can see 4 seasons in 24 hours.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah...Weather.

I am with a buddy coming up out of Borrego Springs, CA - end of April or the first week in May. Hot. On the way up the Montezuma grade it starts to rain. Wet. The rain turns to snow. WTF! It starts to collect and I see car, a bit in front of me, lose control for a moment. !!! We stop in the travel lane and my friend gets off his Valkyrie, to immediately slip and bounce his helmet (with his head in it) off the blacktop. Love those cowboy boots. I get both bikes to the side of road and no one is coming by. We did not know the road had been closed at both ends. I sense hypothermia, and begin to plan to pull my tent and single burner butane stove off the bike so we can have some shelter and warmth, when a small foreign car comes tooling around the bend with two young kids in it. They had been camping between the road closures and were heading home. They took our frozen asses into the closest town where we got warm as we waited for my friend's wife to drive up to take us back to the bikes. We pushed 6 inches, or more snow, off the bikes and began to get ready to head home. And, it began to snow again. Damn! We were close enough to the top of the grade to escape before the snow began to accumulate again.

One September, with another riding partner, in the rain, we miss the turn south just past Rangely, CO and ended up in Meeker. As we're filling up a guy asks us where we are headed. We tell him we have decided to take US 550 on our way back to Cortez. He tells us that parts of the route are already closed with snow, which saves us from the snow and having to turn around - but not the rain, which lasted for most of the rest of the ride.

I imagine you folks have had many similar exciting adventurers. It's good to be alive.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
It was 16 degrees F. here yesterday morning, 27 this morning. The leaves are falling of the trees now. The coldest day on record is -15.7 F on Jan. 13, 1963. That was back in the days when they said we were going into a new ice age. They hottest day on record was 28 June 1994, 114.1 degrees F. I remember that date well, I got off of work and dug 2, 3 1/2 ft. post holes by hand and put my gate post in. Anyway they weather trends seam to be going in to a cooler period. I always hope for mild winters and cool summers and sometimes I get them. I'm just thankful we don't have any livestock anymore to deal with in the winter.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
Meanwhile just a couple of states over at about the same latitude we too are experiencing colder than normal nights/early mornings but on the plus side; it looks like first two weeks of November is going to be just about perfect with lows in the 40's and highs in the mid 70's. Just right.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
After two weeks of brutal high temps in central FL, today was about 63 F at 8:00 a.m. and only 70 F at noon. I hope this weather sticks around a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts