Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've rounded out the allen socket in your front brake pad pin, it's a very good idea to replace it before it strips out, seizes, and potentially causes you to have to replace the whole caliper. Don't ask me how I know this.

The Drag Specialties brake pad kit that Witchdoctor's sells ( Drag Specialties Front Brake Pad Kit ) for $24.95 US is much cheaper than the pad kit from Polaris. It comes with 2 pads, a pin, the o-ring for the pin, 2 pad shims, and a retaining clip.

Disclosure: I haven't tried the pads. I really just needed the pins, but I used everything else in the kits (had to order two). I put the pads into a sealed bag to try them the next time I need new pads.

One note of caution: the allen key for the pins on these is 3/16 inch, NOT the OEM 5mm. Other than that, they're identical to the OEM pins.

@broggyr @CrossRoads could one of you sticky this? I spent a couple of weeks trying to hunt down just the pins by themselves, and this is the least-expensive way I found to get new pins (less than half of what Polaris charges for the same pieces). I figure at some point, someone else will benefit from my frustration :)

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,195 Posts
Tool accessory Auto part Screw

Kawasaki Nissin caliper pin.
It's identical down to the 5MM head.
Fits perfectly. :)

Costs about $6 for the pin from dealer, the o-ring is almost as much. Need to find cheaper alternative probably something at an auto parts store.

Kawasaki part numbers
Pin 43045-1053
O-ring 43058-1100

Reactions: ObiSteve and otab

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kawasaki Nissin caliper pin.
It's identical down to the 5MM head.
Fits perfectly. :)

Costs about $6 for the pin from dealer, the o-ring is almost as much. Need to find cheaper alternative probably something at an auto parts store.

Kawasaki part numbers
Pin 43045-1053
O-ring 43058-1100
Right on! Nice to have a way to get just the damned pin by itself!

Reactions: ObiSteve

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Right on! Nice to have a way to get just the damned pin by itself!
I know I posted about it before but finally ordered two weeks ago. I guess took the slow boat from Japan took a week to get to dealer.
I'll try to remember to check my old Honda (now my dad's). It also has Nissin callipers.

Reactions: ObiSteve and otab

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you've rounded out the allen socket in your front brake pad pin, it's a very good idea to replace it before it strips out, seizes, and potentially causes you to have to replace the whole caliper. Don't ask me how I know this.

The Drag Specialties brake pad kit that Witchdoctor's sells ( Drag Specialties Front Brake Pad Kit ) for $24.95 US is much cheaper than the pad kit from Polaris. It comes with 2 pads, a pin, the o-ring for the pin, 2 pad shims, and a retaining clip.

Disclosure: I haven't tried the pads. I really just needed the pins, but I used everything else in the kits (had to order two). I put the pads into a sealed bag to try them the next time I need new pads.

One note of caution: the allen key for the pins on these is 3/16 inch, NOT the OEM 5mm. Other than that, they're identical to the OEM pins.

@broggyr @CrossRoads could one of you sticky this? I spent a couple of weeks trying to hunt down just the pins by themselves, and this is the least-expensive way I found to get new pins (less than half of what Polaris charges for the same pieces). I figure at some point, someone else will benefit from my frustration :)
I also have been searching for just the brake retaining pin and think I have found it. They come from all balls racing. Ordered and had to return both. First one was the back brake pin the second was just was too long but the right diameter. Just ordered another set, have not received them yet. Hang on for a couple of days until I get them to see if they are the right length. Will post when delivered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also have been searching for just the brake retaining pin and think I have found it. They come from all balls racing. Ordered and had to return both. First one was the back brake pin the second was just was too long but the right diameter. Just ordered another set, have not received them yet. Hang on for a couple of days until I get them to see if they are the right length. Will post when delivered.
they are less than $10 for 2 without delivery.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Johnny Z the kawasaki pins that IndyVictory posted above are a perfect fit for the front on a cross bike, fyi. (i ordered a set and tried them out, so as to have another path to acquiring them if i needed one).

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Did you find an o-ring that doesn't cost as much or more than the dang pin?

My thought was just reusing the old o-ring if I was swapping pins out but not sure that would work without destroying it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you find an o-ring that doesn't cost as much or more than the dang pin?

My thought was just reusing the old o-ring if I was swapping pins out but not sure that would work without destroying it.
Working on that project. emailed all balls racing, they responded and said that the o ring could be ordered separately (not sure of cost) when I tried the product number 13-3012 would not come up. Still waiting for follow up response from them as to how to order. Will get back with you when I find out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Working on that project. emailed all balls racing, they responded and said that the o ring could be ordered separately (not sure of cost) when I tried the product number 13-3012 would not come up. Still waiting for follow up response from them as to how to order. Will get back with you when I find out.
Just received my order. amazon has it. All balls racing has the pin and o ring for $6.75 or so, under $7.00 anyway. Now amazon states ships in 1 to 2 months. I ordered mine on July 8 and got it today July 17. Item number from all balls racing 18-7028. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Just received my order. amazon has it. All balls racing has the pin and o ring for $6.75 or so, under $7.00 anyway. Now amazon states ships in 1 to 2 months. I ordered mine on July 8 and got it today July 17. Item number from all balls racing 18-7028. Hope this helps
Good catch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts