Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the cross bikes intake is in the frame, under the tank and sucks air from under the tank, in front, and probably sucking hot engine heat from below, what would someone think about putting some weatherstripping of some type around the sides and back of the intake hole to block the hot underside air and make it suck from under the tank and forward where the fresh air can come in? Ive thought about trying this, not sure if it would do a lot of good or not.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Hey, where've ya been DT, missed ya. I think drawing in air hotter than ambient would only be occurring while stopped. Once under way, you're sucking in ambients.:)

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been around, popping in here and there, but with all the app troubles i have for the site i have been kinda avoiding the site from my phone, and since im never on a home computer, well im not here that often.

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
Since the cross bikes intake is in the frame, under the tank and sucks air from under the tank, in front, and probably sucking hot engine heat from below, what would someone think about putting some weatherstripping of some type around the sides and back of the intake hole to block the hot underside air and make it suck from under the tank and forward where the fresh air can come in? Ive thought about trying this, not sure if it would do a lot of good or not.
What if you could draw the intanke from an oxygen tank? wac

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have my tank off now servicing the filter. Amazing how this frame provides adequate air.

·
13,177 Posts
If you could get some tubes going from the front say under faring and channel it to the gap between the frame and the tank you might get a good air flow.
Even some kinda plate on top of the rocker box's that would not allow the air or heat to go upward.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you could get some tubes going from the front say under faring and channel it to the gap between the frame and the tank you might get a good air flow.
Even some kinda plate on top of the rocker box's that would not allow the air or heat to go upward.
Old school hot rod thinking. Love it!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my tank off now servicing the filter. Amazing how this frame provides adequate air.
There are no holes in the frame to let air in, with the stock filter its forced to draw from the rear/underside of the tank, with the lloydz it has to draw from a larger area but still under the tank.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There are no holes in the frame to let air in, with the stock filter its forced to draw from the rear/underside of the tank, with the lloydz it has to draw from a larger area but still under the tank.

oh boy! a ram air iv decal on my tank. i can see rics gears
turning on this one too. got a good point. colder denser air
makes more power, but you have to be moving at a good
speed to use it.
used to have a cold air setup fitted to a couple of vehicles
back in the 60's. 59 ford with a 390/375 and a 67 390 mustang.
ah the good old days!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
How much air do ya need?
If the current design supports bikes with 116" engines making way more HP than the 106 will, what's the point? Will the benefits even be noticeable?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My thought was something like what visionjohnny said, not looking for ram air or any major hp here, just to take advantage of whst i have if possible. Kinda like the vicbaggers frames, by altering how the air comes in they gained hp by doing it. Im just looking to maybe block excess hot air and funneling in clean air.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
not looking for ram air
Good thing because that's a myth. Your bike won't go fast enough to get boost above atmospheric pressure from ramming air in with a scoop.

Kinda like the vicbaggers frames, by altering how the air comes in they gained hp by doing it.
Compared to what? A Lloyds filter and silencer strip removal? Doubtful.
Those little baby air filters and tubes don't look impressive to me. They are still pulling hot air unless the bike is moving... I'd have to see the comparison on paper before I accept that "10-12 HP gain" as reality just because they said so on their website. Talk is cheap... let's see it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Good thing because that's a myth. Your bike won't go fast enough to get boost above atmospheric pressure from ramming air in with a scoop.

Compared to what? A Lloyds filter and silencer strip removal? Doubtful.
Those little baby air filters and tubes don't look impressive to me. They are still pulling hot air unless the bike is moving... I'd have to see the comparison on paper before I accept that "10-12 HP gain" as reality just because they said so on their website. Talk is cheap... let's see it.
Thank you oh Voice of reason! I just cancelled my $10,000 order from them which included not only the frame kit and the 6* trees but the 26" wheel, tire, extended cables, fender(painted), powder coating everything (gotta do the new look), and did I mention labor! Wow all this for a 26" wheel. People do spend some crazy money don't they?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, 10-12hp is a little much, guessing thats over stock? But if they are gaining i think thats a bonus, i would love to get one of their frames, little rake and i would go with a 21". I guess its just a thought.

·
13,177 Posts
say the FI was on the side of the motor like h-d its only going to suck in so much air. Am sure if Lloydz didn't come up with a way to get more air besides his filter its not going to make much if any difference.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes but like i have said not really looking for more or ram just not hot motor air.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Really Craz.
This one seemed to work great at 150 mph.
thumb upcheers
I'll bet ya a paycheck it doesn't make 'boost'.

Pro-Stock cars have the best scoops. Not only in shape but they are out in undisturbed air. They get a marginal amount of boost (a fraction of a psi) at over 200 mph.

Mooney aircraft discovered that Ram Air actually produces a couple or 3 psi of real boost at 300 mph or so with a well designed scoop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts