Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just had to deal with this I figured I'd post for future reference to help others. I'm sure anyone can figure out that Vic sells the replacement rubber pad for your kickstand. Factory wants you to buy two rivets to fasten it on. However, these are some monster rivets that need special installation processes. Others have posted tips about using various screws or bolts to hold the pad on instead. In fact, WD offers a kit containing the factory pad and a screw/sleeve nut combo (also called a binding post) that works great. I didn't want to pay $25 for their 'kit' plus almost $19 shipping, so I just bought my own.

McMaster-Carr sells the hardware. They call them 'binding posts'. You need 1/4" barrel with 1/4-3/8" depth fasteners. Stainless parts cost $2.53/ea. I'm sure your local Lowes or other hardware store would sell them too. Be sure to put some Loktite on them when installing.

Hopefully this helps someone out in the future to make putting on a new pad easy.

Rob

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Perfect thumb up Thank you.
Now if I can only find this thread when I need to replace the pads:p

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The mods should sticky this on the XC section

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
how often are you wearing out the rubber? mines a 2012 with the original rubber on it in good shape. i know a guy that replaced his with uhmw plastic instead of the rubber.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I replaced mine with a piece of tire cut to the shape of the kickstand bottom. Screws and self locking nuts from Ace Hardware. Figure that I'm good for 100,000 miles now!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Perfect thumb up Thank you.
Now if I can only find this thread when I need to replace the pads:p
Right click...save as..put in a folder named Victory tips...all the cool stuff that pops up here I save in that folder in my documents. Not using windows? Can't help ya :D

You're welcome cheers

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how often are you wearing out the rubber? mines a 2012 with the original rubber on it in good shape. i know a guy that replaced his with uhmw plastic instead of the rubber.
Mine is a 2012 purchased new as a holdover in summer 2013. It has a little over 11K miles on it now. The old rubber pad was almost ripped off the bottom.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
can i ask then, those of you wearing out the pads, do you flip the stand up before riding or let it flip itself up?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
can i ask then, those of you wearing out the pads, do you flip the stand up before riding or let it flip itself up?
Always put it up myself.

Mine seemed to have worn out by the pressure of the bike leaning over onto the stand and pushing the pad away (towards the underside of the bike). Either that, or it may be because when I put the bike on the stand I often pull it backwards a little to make sure the kickstand is fully extended. The kickstand on the XC seems to be prone to easily folding back under itself if it is even slightly less than fully extended.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
just wondering, mine is a12 also, 31,000 miles and it looks fine still, just trying to figure out how people are wearing them out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
just wondering, mine is a12 also, 31,000 miles and it looks fine still, just trying to figure out how people are wearing them out.
Mine is a '10 just wore out 6 months ago at about 35k.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I back out of my garage every night with the kick stand in the down position so I don't forget to put it down while its warming and I put my helmet on. I also tend to roll back on the stand to ensure its in the full lock position. ( if you've ever had one fall over on the stand you might do the same thing) That is what has ripped mine off, me and my habits that I've had for the past 30+ years of riding. This is the first bike I've owned with a rubber on the kick and kinda wondering why it's there. I always carry a kickplate in the glove box if I park in questionable areas ( grass, gravel, hot asphalt, ...)
I like the idea of your bolt setup along with the rdeerx tire repurposing. Thanks for that guys, I'll probably replace this weekend

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts