Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long (boring) story shortened – I crashed a 2011 Cross Country and decided to REBUILD…

Before:

I’ve been customizing bikes for a long time and this was going to be another custom build of an already great bike with a twist of a version of whatever I wanted. The XR/XC/Vision chassis lends itself directly to 'customizing' and with the aluminum modular frame anything is possible. What I finally figured out is that I already have all the workings of a roller with all the design and engineering done on this frame.... all I need to do now is take my own "concept" to the next step. Do what a 'creator' would do and just put another 'skin' of my own onto the underlying foundation of technology present.

Design Stage:
Couple ideas began flowing but I wanted a bobber style that has the ability to bag up and go long.... I really liked the XC style, but this will be more of the XR style with no fairing, no stereo, no distractions.... just a wind-in-your-face cruiser.

So a custom machine it is.... the torches and metal bending began again in the old shop area and I started going at it with no real design in mind other than NOT an XC! I wanted a new one-off custom creation that will just get me back on the road again. I first started looking at some ideas using the old “HD-Dyna” bobber style rear fender, but didn’t like that… Scrap it!... back to the drawing board.

I had to take a step back and sit down and think more about this, do a little research and find out some more info on Victory bikes and what fits and finishes are available out there to use. I have found out A LOT!.... I really have always liked the HAMMER model design – it’s the 'Hotrod' of the Victory lineup and has some great lines and big fat everything on the rear of it! So then I started playing with the idea of a Hammer fender on the rear end…. Hmmmm yea that would give me the look of a short fender, showing some fat rubber and keeping it all Victory. thumb up

The front end will need some work too as I like the pro street look. The XR/XC models need some stretch in them. They are the only bikes I have ever seen with a reverse triple tree design… ? (WTF is with that?).

There are rake kits out there for these bikes but they are ridiculously expensive and Im sorry but 40 degrees of rake doesn’t help in the handling department much at all. That’s something Im gonna have to work on a bit. I’ll be putting on a bullet light, with tree mounted gauges and possibly a 21” front wheel.

I want to take a bit more from the "Cross" concept drawings and finish off the front chin spoiler further to the rear and enclose the undercarriage more like a cafe style bike. I think it needs it. This was something that Polaris left unfinished in my mind of this bike. Maybe add a small cafe style fairing? We'll see what the design day-dreams come up with.

Roland Sands created a Bonneville type Track Racer from a Hammer, I like this, but it’s a bit extreme for a street version road cruiser,

Mine will be just a bit tamer:

Finally a look at something to start from - its a hodge podge of parts from many things but its a starting point of what may come of all this...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Look! You made a Honda VTX. Or a Suzuki M109. Great taste! :)

VTX with pro street add-ons:

M109:

This is a compliment, by the way. This look is pretty cool.

Rob

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BUILD STAGE:

So here is my platform to start with. All the damaged stuff removed, new bars on it and hand controls, foot controls, boards, etc.

I got ahold of a fender and just started ‘fitting’ it…. It doesn’t just BOLT-ON:confused: LOL NEVER!:D

So some shaping, cutting and bending had to occur and it fit into place finally. The Hammer model bikes are about 2" wider in the rear fender than a Cross Bike. (Inside Dimension) The stock Hammer rear wheel is also 8.5" wide to the 5.5" on the Cross model. So there is a big difference. So it is obvious I needed a bigger tire… being the stock rim is only 5.5” wide, putting a 200mm on that wasn’t going to be a very good idea. I found a 17” x 6.25” and decided to go with that being it was the widest rim available for the XC swingarm.

Oh yea the swingarm… talk about a design mess! Who decided to make this thing so ugly? Just because it’s hidden behind some bags doesn’t mean you should skimp on looks… right? So off it will comes and we will heli-arc weld up all the unnecessary holes in it, machine them down and then I’m going to polished it to a chrome like finish when thats all done. Already have ground it down to a flush smooth finish, now the welding. I also made my own adjustable drop link to lower the bike to any level I want. That was pretty easy. I can put that info up in another post later on.

I will be changing the pulley to chrome one too, got one coming and will fit it up next time.

The other thing is that no one makes an axle cover for these things either, probably again because they are hidden. Custom ones will be built for this too cause the axles ends are ugly to look at.

Next will be a seat design... I will have to get a Hammer seat and see what can be done to it to modify the base. If that doesnt work I will have to cut up my stock XC seat which I hate to do, its a perfectly good seat!!!

So this is where Im at for now with the fender installed and the rear suspension lowered about 1"... just waiting on more parts!

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Blue - Thanks and yea I believe VIC needs to go after that market a little more too.... large cube bobbers are in!

and .... VIC is just a far better platform to work with over the others.

I was actually looking at the Honda VTX rear fender mounts also, along with the v-rod, and the new breakout... but instead went with the Hammer, its just 'fits' (my style) better.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Whoa... this is one increadible project. Cant wait to see the final product. Best of luck to ya!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Me too! thumb up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Should be an interesting build! I can't see the Hammer seat fitting up very well because of the major in differences in tanks. If you want the Hammer rear you might as well just pick up a complete hammer rear end and mod the swingarm to fit. Look forward to watching your progress!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
No doubt on the seat matching up , that's not going to happen . Probably going to "have" to mod his original seat for proper fitment , or make a "custom" seat .

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watching this one. Good luck and I can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks all for looking in... Smitty you were asking about converting from a HD to the XC back ona another thread -and I would just mention here that THIS XC was a great handling bike and I came from a Dyna Wide Glide for 13 years and other iron heads before that. Always had well handling chopper style bikes but the XC was so much of a step above all that. My crash happened because I (CAPITOL "I") did not change my Avon soft compound tire out to an all weather tire when I decided to take a road trip through the rainy PNW.... wet roads, wrong tire on curvey road = sideways.... Duh! not the bikes fault... it was all mine.

Anyways - thanks again for looking in and you can also check out my other stuff I have done here:

http://streetbikeusa.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Should be an interesting build! I can't see the Hammer seat fitting up very well because of the major in differences in tanks. If you want the Hammer rear you might as well just pick up a complete hammer rear end and mod the swingarm to fit. Look forward to watching your progress!
I looked at that but the swingarm geometry is different for the two bikes and the XC/XR is a better design overall. Maybe just not as wide but 200mm is gonna be wide enough and pushing the absolute limits for keeping a good handling 'twistie' bike.

The seat (either one that is used) is going to have to be modified to fit the XC side covers, hammer side struts and the XC tank. So it will be totally custom but I just figured I would start with one of the two bases and fiberglass on whatever I needed before the re-upholstery occurs.

Just getting around to fitting everything up now and trying to mock up all the parts so they will all just bolt right back on after painting with no problems. Moving along slowley

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
update

I got the rear fender fitted up and into place -shown here with the stock rear 16" wheel and 180mm tire, stock pulley in black also. I used the existing holes in the frame for mounting points and added standoffs to the fender that I welded in from the inside so everything is hidden from view. The Hammer struts will fit into place nicely with the XC sidecovers.

I have the new rear wheel, it is a 6.25" wide x 17" diameter and it looks sweet, waiting on a 200mm tire for it now, Im going to polish the stock pulley and the swingarm to match the new rim.

I also tore apart the front end to get it ready for the raked tree kit. The stock degree angle I measured was 26* so with a 6 degree kit that gets it to 32*... The 40* kits Im hearing about out there seems kinda extreme for handling geometry, but I guess if its the EXTREME STRETCH "look" you want that's the way to look and not handle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Nice fitment on the rear fender , looks good from what I can see ! If it
were my bike I would also make that swingarm black . But , that's just me .

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice fitment on the rear fender , looks good from what I can see ! If it
were my bike I would also make that swingarm black . But , that's just me .
By the looks of your av pic you like everything black! .lol :D

Im actually going to weld up all those holes in the stock swingarm and then polish it once the whole rear end is fitted. Since they dont make anything in a chrome finish or polished form for the XC/XR/Visions.... yet. I have the chrome engine and lots of other chrome/polished aluminum parts on the bike. Plus Im not keeping the Black base color anymore either. It will most likely be a HOK Titanium metal flake pearl grey. Black and chrome works well with that too.

I'm also going to add a belt guard to this swingarm which they dont ordinarily have because they are behind the bags. So that will also be an addition to this bike. The pulley spokes may stay black and just polish the rim of it. still contemplating all of it. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice!! I'm cross (no pun intended) breeding too. I'm turning my hardball into a Hard Cross Country

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
By the looks of your av pic you like everything black! .lol :D

yup , its even more black now !thumb up Nothing wrong with a polished swingarm either . Looking real good so far , keep the pics coming .cheers

1 - 20 of 113 Posts