Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One mod that I would like to make to my Cross Country Tour is to have mirrors mounted on the fairing, and remove the mirrors from the handlebars. This would put the mirrors always in easier view, without having to glance off of the road.

Has anyone here done this?

Does anyone have suggestions about what mirrors to use?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've had that thought myself, reasoning that mirrors in that placement might also reduce helmet buffeting at high speeds. Of course, I wanted to get all fancy about it and make something sleek that would blend seamlessly between fairing and windshield, but who knows when that'll ever happen. In the meantime I suppose there are many teardrop-shaped choices out there that would fit the area reasonably well and give about the same result. The tricky part would be modifying the mounting stem and deciding where to drill holes. Oh, just had a good idea - don't drill holes. If you want to test the concept with some aftermarket mirrors, do away with the mounting stem completely and rest them in a cradle of Bondo or something that can form a solid base which can be adhered to the topside of your fairing with double-sided tape. Once you're sure you like the setup the bases can be finished to the final shape and color of your choice, set in final position, and that tape isn't going to let go at any speed.

Is it goofy looking? I don't know, maybe - just throwing out ideas here. The difference between goofy and cool could be only a couple more hours of tinkering with it. If you decide to dive in please let us know what happens :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
id-man good idea

I actually had an ideal also,if he would look around that might work. The mirrors from more sporty cars from the 80's and 90's. Maybe some off of an old Pontiac Grandam, an old Mustang or maybe some imports. He could search the internet, maybe e-bay or Amazon, or it might be worth a trip around an old salvage yard. They could be bolted on. You could try them on with just some two sided tape to test the looks. Just some more ideas. Some pictures of it when done would be cool to see.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a set of the Harley Fairing mounted mirrors on my XCT. But when I changed the bars my arms got in the way so I took them off. Mounted them to the speaker grills. If I can find a pic will post.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a set of the Harley Fairing mounted mirrors on my XCT. But when I changed the bars my arms got in the way so I took them off. Mounted them to the speaker grills. If I can find a pic will post.
Please do!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
14” or taller apes would work with those.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really do appreciate the trouble you went to posting those pictures and answering my original post, but those will not do for me at all.

When Victory Visions first came out, before there were Cross Countrys, my local dealer let me test ride a Vision. One of the first things I noticed was that the mirrors were positioned so that I was always looking at reflections of my arms. These Harley mirrors, mounted to the speaker grill area, appear to do the same thing. Even if they were under my arms, such as might be the case with ape-hanger handlebars, that would defeat my purpose. I want the mirrors in my line of sight, not so that I would have to take my eyes off the road to look down under my hands.

I really do appreciate your replies ad effort, but this solution won’t accomplish what I want. I want a solution that mounts the mirrors on top of the fairing, so that they are only slightly to the side of my field of vision.

Thanks.

·
12,984 Posts
Say before you get cared away with buying and drilling holes. Take a mirror off and have someone hold it in different position while your sitting on the bike. Look on craigslist for mirrors too

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I just bought a pair of knockoff Harley fairing mirrors on eBay for $22 shipped. Figured I'd give 'em a try for that price.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I currently have the Kuryakyn Heavy Industry mirrors. Best mirrors I ever owned.

However, if you know me, you know I just like to play and tinker with things. Right @PaiN ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts