Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Cross Roads over the last 18 months and have done a lot of mods to get it just the way I want it. I have at times regretted not buying a Cross Country, so I looked into trading for a new one recently. I couldn't do it, as I have too much invested and did not want to start over again on a new bike, so I bought all of the pieces and installed the Cross Country fairing on my Cross Roads. Everything bolted up as expected, with the hardest part making the instrument panel so I could use my existing speedometer and tachometer. I also added a JL Audio HX 280/4 amp bridged to a pair of Hertz HXC 165 speakers, which sound great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice job. I had thot of doing that also but mine is a CRLE and getting a fairing with paint match would be way too expensive for me. Yours looks really great tho, thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, fun project and love the outcome. I rode about 600 miles since finishing it up last week and the stereo does sound great. The wind protection is also quite good, spent a lot of time researching windshields before choosing a LRS 12" flip, already had the lowers.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One day that will be my plan. Was it hard to find a parts list?
I went into the Victory parts lists, copied and pasted all of the components I needed to make the list. Wound up with a few extra fasteners but otherwise the list was very accurate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
great job! looks awesome!
do you have any pictures of the mounting brackets or however you secured the speedo/tach to the fairing? I've been thinking about doing this myself but haven't done too much as i don't want to take the bike down in the middle of riding season... but was going to start the search and plan nearer to winter..

do you have a rough idea about what this set you back $$-wise?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have about $1,700 invested including the speakers, aux plug, and switches. I made the face plate for the instruments out of 1/8" aluminum and used hole saws to cut the holes for the gauges and switches. I covered the aluminum with carbon fiber wrap and think it looks pretty good. Here is a close up picture of the instrument panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
That looks great, a factory like finish and I know people who have spent more adding a fairing to their bikes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm not a radio guy . So I assume the overall cost would be considerably less, and the weight of the fairing reduced, without it ?

The main reason I did not but a XC was due to paying for something i did not want, and would never use...I like your idea.

Was the instrument surround the only fabricating needed ? BTW you did a fantastic job.....VERY nice !!

I recognize the power outlet , what are the other two round items I see in the dash? ........Again very nice!

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
That looks amazing, and unique!

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, appreciate the compliments! Other than fabricating the face plate I had to trim off the plastic surround on the dash where the radio face would install, as I did not want a radio and I also wanted to keep my handlebar and riser setup. The square cover on the panel is my marine grade aux plug, and the 2 above it are switches (well, 1 switch and 1 hole cover while I wait for the other switch to come in), one switch for the amp and one for my driving lights.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
539 Posts
damn looks great... gonna have to start saving the pennies now :wink

·
Registered
483 Posts
Speakin'a this project...I'm surprised Vic doesn't offer it as an option & or an over the counter accessory ?

The fairing, mounting & [a panel such as the OP fabricated] ,.....for ?? dollars . Radio etc, optional. I'm thinking it would sell ? Particularly if it were available color matched. Avoid painting, hunting for a painter , waiting on a painter , etc & so-on.

Never going to happen now I suppose with the XR being discontinued.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Might be nice if one of the aftermarket suppliers picked up on this too. I have been looking for something and don't really like the other options out there. The Victory XCT fairing seems to be the best option for me so far.

I like your end product and might make this a winter project trying to gather up all the bits required.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thought I'd post an update on the project. Added forged bars, Magnum seat and graphics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Just thought I'd post an update on the project. Added forged bars, Magnum seat and graphics.
Well played! I really like your setup. Cool thread to read through as well. Awesome work.

Skin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts