Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what size handlebars I can install without changing my cables and brake lines?

Thanks Travis

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Yeah....same size or shorter! Sorry, I can't help myself.:)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
You can go with 14" apes... Many different manufacturers. Ness modular apes, Vicbaggers, HMD520, Vic apes... There is probably 10 to choose from.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am getting a set of VicBaggers 3" pull and 3" up an dwanted to make sure I did not need anything else to install them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
did you have to re-rout any cables?
I had to cut the wire ties that hold the cables to the frame but that's it. Didn't have to reroute them through the bike.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the one i am most worried about is the clutch cable, but it looks like it could be re routed behind the triple tree.

Those will be a stretch.... Mine are +2 +2 and I couldn't have went any further.

·
Registered
346 Posts
the one i am most worried about is the clutch cable, but it looks like it could be re routed behind the triple tree.
I bought a save - ur - ride cable just in case!:D

·
Premium Member
986 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have HeliBars, set in their most rearward position. By my measuring, that's about 3" more than stock, as measured at the center of the grips (i.e., about where your middle finger rests). This was just do-able.

I moved some cables and/or hoses at the clamp area, but I forget whether I moved some up top that were underneath, or vice-versa, or both. Also, I snipped the cable tie on the right-side "neck" of the frame. And I re-angled the banjo bolt at the master cylinder, such that it was pointing forward. And I think I moved the throttle cables slightly, by the guide that's right by the grip.

I think you're, um, stretching things, to go 3+3, but who knows. Make sure that the throttle doesn't change when you have the bike running, in neutral, when you move the handlebars full lock to full lock. And that the brake and clutch work in all handlebar positions. And that you don't pinch anything when going lock to lock.

Good luck.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Witchdoctor Outraged handlebars and they claim that you can use the stock cables. You can, but only barely. I had to reroute both cables and the brake barely reach. I went +6 through Conquest custom. Now there is room to adjust the bars. Previously the brake line could inhibit full lock turns if I pulled the bars toward me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@ wspollack, I have a set of Helibars waiting for me to install on my XCT upon my return from deployment. Since you stated that the stock cables were "just do-able" How much over stock would you recommend for the perfect fit? I have a bunch of performance stuff I will be installing when I get home so I only want to tear it all down once since I have a lot of riding to catch up on if ya know what I mean! ;) Thanks!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
@ wspollack, I have a set of Helibars waiting for me to install on my XCT upon my return from deployment. Since you stated that the stock cables were "just do-able" How much over stock would you recommend for the perfect fit? I have a bunch of performance stuff I will be installing when I get home so I only want to tear it all down once since I have a lot of riding to catch up on if ya know what I mean! ;) Thanks!
Oh, crap, you put me on the spot now.

Well, I'd say two or three inches. Like most folks who spend the big bucks on the Helis, I wanted more pullback, and so have them set at max pullback. According to my measurements, that's about three inches more than my stock XCT bars, measured at the middle finger area of the grip. (Heli says something like +4 max, but I think that's either creative marketing or strange measuring.) Of course, part of this measurement depends on how much "sweep-back" you adjust the grip-bars to; mine are almost all the way swept back; see this image in my Heli gallery, for instance: www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-helibars-installation/#39 .

So, if you add about 3", you'll be back to normal ("that's what she said").

But...

Keep in mind that you'd have to add that to the clutch cable, the front brake line, the throttle cables, and the wires from the clutch and brake switches, heated grips, cruise control, audio...

That's a major undertaking, and IMHO unnecessary. I haven't read of anyone's doing that with the Helis. I have read that other folks have snipped that one cable tie (see image www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-helibars-installation/#31 ). And of course any wires -- as opposed to cables and hydraulic lines -- can usually be made to have more slack by simple re-routing inside the fairing or something like that.

I've put about 10,000 miles on the Helis now, and I can't recommend your going to all that trouble if and when you put them on. They don't swap out anything (other than the bars) when they install the bars themselves at their place in Maine or at bike shows (unless you have a pre-2012 model -- see their instructions at https://www.helibars.com/sites/default/files/install_instructions/HZ13054 Installation Instructions 3-2014 Web.pdf -- in which case they state that you need a longer brake line). And I haven't read about anyone else (2012 and newer) extending anything that with Helis.

Bottom line: I really can't recommend your extending anything. But I can recommend ignoring the instructions when they have you tilt the fairing, and instead leaving the fairing support brackets and their bolts in place, and then just removing the fairing and dash. That way, when you're working on this, you can easily see -- and work with, and reposition -- all those lines, cables, etc., and move them over or under the bars, and maybe to the right or left, too, as necessary. That, and snipping that one cable tie, and the re-aiming the banjo bolt, and maybe some slight repositioning of things at the guide bracket by the throttle grip.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Any other Heli owners care to confirm or deny any of this? Please? I really don't want to have the final word on all this, as if I know it all, but that's been my experience, so that's what I'm reporting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Bill, looks like I got my work cut out for me! My XCT is also a 2012, I think it should be fun with the assistance of your rather excellant pictoral guide (disclaimer noted)! Considering how my hands and wrists felt after my first long trip on it last year down to Gatlinberg (Dragon was a blast) I think the effort will be well worth it! Thanks again! Ed

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks Bill, looks like I got my work cut out for me! My XCT is also a 2012, I think it should be fun with the assistance of your rather excellant pictoral guide (disclaimer noted)! Considering how my hands and wrists felt after my first long trip on it last year down to Gatlinberg (Dragon was a blast) I think the effort will be well worth it! Thanks again! Ed
I wish you the best of luck, whatever your decision.

Here's a thread with some comments from Kris/Netnorske, in which he flatly states that stock cables are fine: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=105225

Here's a much longer thread on Helis and some other bars; I started the thread, in full rant mode, a year+ ago. In it, Kris again states that no extensions were necessary. But there are also posts from a couple of other folks, who had Heli install them (at Maine and at a rally, if my quick re-reading serves me); in those posts, there is no mention of having any replacement cables, etc.:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=67297

Here's a single post from Jim G, no mention of replacement anything:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showpost.php?p=1097594&postcount=344

Here's a brief thread started by rking in 2013, no cable changes:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=55225

Here's another thread, with some of the usual players, but MMGUT doing the install:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=111761

Last, here's some pics and comments on the bars, as installed by Tony Giotta (page 3):

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=17882

(I had PMed both Kris and Tony with a few questions about Helis, before I made the purchase.)

And if for some reason that you feel you absolutely must replace something, I'd do the clutch cable. It's NOT a problem, but have you read the recent thread on how well made the Barnett one is? -- http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=129634

·
Registered
59 Posts
And if for some reason that you feel you absolutely must replace something, I'd do the clutch cable. It's NOT a problem, but have you read the recent thread on how well made the Barnett one is? -- http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=129634
Thanks again! Yes, I think I will replace the clutch cable with the Barnett! I can get that and an extended brake line from Witchdoctors for almost half the price of a new clutch cable from Ma Vic! Best time to do it since the bike will be all torn down. This makeover for my XCT will be extensive and I just might be biting off more than I can chew but it will be fun! I will probably start a thread on the project when I begin it in mid July!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts