Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Cross Country or Arlen Ness Vision

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Vinish 
#1 ·
Hey all!

Getting ready to pick up a Victory, but, needed some advice first. I am in the middle of deciding on a Vic, but, it's between a 2010 Cross Country or a 2012 Arlen Ness Vision Tour.

Some basic information about myself: I am 6'3" and looking for something comfortable (I ride a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom now, and, that thing is uncomfortable on long rides). I do a lot of commute riding to work and those things, with the occasional long ride.

Both bikes are in great condition, need to haggle the price, and in the area of 7800 miles.

I know what you are thinking, he wants a Vision, but, doesn't tour a lot? I get it. I am kind of weird for wanting a tourer for the opposite reason. But, I fell in love with this bike as soon as I saw it.

I can pretty much gather that I should go with the Cross Country, but, I just freaking love that Vision to death.

Will you help me make the easy decision? Or will you help me think that the Vision isn't too bad, even for commuting?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
You're not going to be happy or satisfied if you don't buy your Vision...There's really not that much difference between the two for commuting duties, anyway. Motorcycles move the soul, even if only riding to work, so get what your heart desires. ;)

#3 ·
Visions are great for short trips and commuting. That is mostly what I do on mine. It's a heavy bike but it's tough to beat the handling and comfort. I'm 6'1" and all of the XCs I've ridden seemed slightly cramped.

#4 ·
I think I would be happy with either. The Cross Country is red (my favorite color) and is only missing a few things that the Vision has, which, is not the biggest loss.

I only ask this, because I was told that the Vision would be a lot to commute with (which I am aware of), but was also told that overall, it isn't something you want to commute in.

I was just wondering if that was opinion or pretty much fact. I have seen people say that they ride it for a 6 mile stop to the store and bring it home and the like.

The more opinions and perspective I have, the easier the decision will be.

FYI:

2010 CC = $12,990 with 7,884 miles
2012 AN Vision = *14,990 with 8,943 miles

#5 ·
I only ask this, because I was told that the Vision would be a lot to commute with (which I am aware of), but was also told that overall, it isn't something you want to commute in.

I was just wondering if that was opinion or pretty much fact. I have seen people say that they ride it for a 6 mile stop to the store and bring it home and the like.
That's BS...The Vision is a big bike but you're a big guy and it will do just fine on the short haul. Hell, when I take my XC to work its a 2.5mi ride and I still enjoy it.

#7 ·
Either way its a high dollar purchase and you should probably go with what you really want. I had a Vision and loved it I totaled it a few years ago and ride a Kingpin now . The Vision is allways calling me to it whenever Im at the dealer. Hell I almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago on 14 with 3000 mi on it. Make sure you test ride both. Good luck.

#9 ·
The vision is greats handles great and if you go 6 miles or 600 miles you'll not be disappointed. Bad think with the vision you tend to ride farther than you want.
Don't go with what we say you're the one that has to look at it and ride it. Buy what you like cause if you don't you'll ride less and less and you'll not be happy.
Buy what you like

#10 ·
The Vision is what brought me to the Victory brand. I'm sure for many others too. I decided on the Cross Country Tour only after riding both. If you can, take them for a ride. It will make your decision. You can look at them all you want but once you ride them, it should come clear. If you love the Vision and after you ride, love it even more. Buy it! If you find yourself more comfortable on the Cross Country. Buy it!

Many Vision riders love their bike. Many Cross Country owners love their bike. Their is no wrong choice here. Just your choice.

Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the help!

It is a little rainy here today, so I will be test riding a XC tomorrow. Good chance after I ride it, I will know my decision.

We have a Blessing of the Bikes ride on 4/10, so I am hoping to get a new bike by then. If I am unsure about the XC tomorrow, I may not be able to ride the Vision until next Saturday because my work schedule :(

Otherwise, my only other option is to kind of buy the Vision on a whim because the dealer is almost 2 Hours away. I've sat on it, but, sitting is different than riding.

Here is hoping to good things! Just sold my bike last night for 6800, so, I am on the right path!

:grin

Thanks again guys! You are not making the decision easy, but, you are giving me more options!

#12 ·
Get the one you like THE MOST!

Both share the same engine, only difference is the body.

For me is the Cross Country but get the Vision if that's the one you like. I commute everyday on mine and no issues at all. I bet the Vision will be also a great commuting bike.

#13 ·
Price also comes into factor. So as long as my test ride goes well tomorrow, I probably will go with the XC (unless I can get the guys to go down on the Vision, which is not really likely).

Tomorrow will tell. I heard the seat of the XC is more narrow than the Vision, right?

#17 ·
I love the Vision.... and I don't know why! Everyone I know says they look "cool" but are too big and are a spaceship. Doesn't bother me.

I like the rest, but, I am looking for something with bags and not afraid to be stuffed with stuff.

Sturgis in August! Need to be ready! :grin:grin

#18 ·
Both bikes are a little over priced.For reference I got my 2011 XC in Dec. it had 7400mi with a lot of Ness add ons,cool pin stripping and driver back rest.The guy was asking $8700 I got it for my 2004 V92TC+$5000 cash.
Try to talk the dealer down.That is unless you are having them finance it.

#21 ·
I'll be doing partly cash down, and then the rest financing. I am hoping to talk them down. But, I am trying to get it from my buddy's place he works (so he will try to get it for his store, so I can get it from him). This way, he can do all the paperwork and DMV stuff, while I sit back, waiting for the bike. If I bought from the out of state dealers, then, I would be assuming the majority of the paperwork.

I'm hoping to say that I can put over half down on it, and maybe be given the opportunity to get for a little less than the asking price.

#19 ·
Maybe you want to buy one of the two specific bikes you described. If so, ignore the rest of this note. I recommend buying a Cross Country Tour and I believe that the oldest vintage of those is a 2012 (might be 2011). This bike has the best of both worlds. Strap on the trunk and it is a great touring bike with lots more storage than the Vision. Remove the trunk and it is a great daily cruiser. It gives you the flexibility that you don't have with the Vision. I ride my XCT 80% of the time with the trunk removed and only put it on for the 20% of the time that I'm either riding two-up or going on a long trip. If you are willing to wait for a deal and willing to look further afield, you can buy a 2012 XCT with low mileage for $14,000 and likely a bit less from an individual buyer rather than a dealer.

G'day,

Vinish

#22 ·
I definitely appreciate the idea. Though, if I can find one, I will. Though, I am on a mission to get one by next Saturday, which gives me a week. 4/10 there is a bike event in my area, the Blessings of the Bikes, and man I want to attend. Was never able to go to the others because I used to work Sundays.

#20 ·
Hmmmmm

Go with what you like. Me I like the riding position and handling of my Vision. I've sat on some other baggers and didn't **** the "cramped" feeling and shorter than you. I only sat on a CC tour when I bought the Vision my only "disparaging" thought was it looks like all the other baggers out there. Never the less,l it does have more storage and a non-fixed fairing. I rode mine form N. Alabama to Denver and only real complaint is my seat was a little hard. (I have a heated seat maybe that's why.) At any rate, get what YOU like and enjoy the crap out of it.:grin

#23 ·
Go with what you like. Me I like the riding position and handling of my Vision. I've sat on some other baggers and didn't **** the "cramped" feeling and shorter than you. I only sat on a CC tour when I bought the Vision my only "disparaging" thought was it looks like all the other baggers out there. Never the less,l it does have more storage and a non-fixed fairing. I rode mine form N. Alabama to Denver and only real complaint is my seat was a little hard. (I have a heated seat maybe that's why.) At any rate, get what YOU like and enjoy the crap out of it.:grin
Thanks! Appreciate a lot!

I heard the seat on the XC was more narrow, did you think the same? If that is the case, maybe I will go with the Vision.

Just hoping the rain stops here in CT so I can test ride a XC at 12:15.

Thanks again!

#26 ·
Here in IL if you buy from an individual you pay a low preset sales tax.If you buy from a dealer you pay the full 6.25%
My check in your state.That saved me a bunch

#28 ·
You can use "Searchtempest" to search Craiglist nationally or in a given radius around a specified location. I used Searchtempest to find three 2012 XCT bikes that I bought for me and my wife.

G'day,

Vinish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.