Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2007 Honda VTX 1300 S. Have ridden motorcycles since I was 14 years old--will turn 60 in October. I test rode a 2010 Vision and a Cross Country this morning. Absolutely loved both bikes! Will very likely purchase one of them. Thought there were pluses and minuses for both. Will probably keep the X as my solo bike and primarily use the Victory as my 2-up touring bike. Would like to hear from owners as to their experiences with each of these bikes and recommendations on which is the best choice (I know that can open up a can of worms, but I'm truly interested and would like to hear from actual riders as opposed to just opinions from those who do not own/ride either bike). (I did a search and found related topics but no current owners/riders who specifically addressed this topic)Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got my Cross Country in June and absolutely love it. I previously owned a Yamaha Road Star and before that a Honda Sabre 1100. I ride solo because my wife rides her own bike. I would go with the Vision if you plan on doing a lot of 2 up riding. But you could go with the Cross Country and buy the trunk, which is $1749. You really can't go wrong with either bike.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
After what I read about the new 2011 Cross Country last night I'd go with a CC for touring simply because the amount of saddlebag storage space seems to be significantly larger than that of the Vision. And with the new trunk option available on the 2011 CC, there's even more space as well as what appears to be a very nice backrest for your passenger.

I rode a 2010 CC a few weeks ago and loved it and now I'm very interested in buying a 2011 CC based on the test ride and what is being offered this model year. Okay, I'm a little biased toward the Cross Country, I admit it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I ride a '09 Vision and absolutley love it...really the only differnece between the CC and the Vision is storage space and a couple of gadets the Vision has over the CC...Pretty much a coin toss!

Personally, I like the ability to raise and lower the windshield especially in the rain, major benefit! Also the console on the Vision give you mountuiing space for things like GPS, intercom/CB headset, and power outlet for heated clothing...If you need a butt load of storage space in saddlebags only I would then go with the CC....Good luck with your decision!cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just like the looks and feel of my 2011 CC. :D I do not like the looks of the vision personally but to each their own. My brother test drove the vision earlier this year at the Laughlin, Nv bike rally and he thought it was as smooth ride. Not as smooth as his Goldwing but pretty close. That is the same time I test drove the 2010 CC and decided I had to have one. No regrets yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I bought a 09 ness vision in Feb. and recently went to a demo day at the local dealer. I rode the cross country so I could compare. I'm so glad I got the vision. Yes the bags are bigger on the XC but the vision is the better ride hands down. I put a hitch on the ness and will pull a trailer when traveling and take anything I want. Besides if the better half is going you need as much storage as you can get. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the middle of a 2000 mile trip right now on my 2011 Cross Country and I have really enjoyed this bike. I have ridden from Idaho to Los Angeles and I will begin the trip back later this evening. It is the same trip I took basically back in April with my 1983 Goldwing. There is no comparison as far as I'm concerned as my body feels a lot better now than back in April. I am not seeing the buffeting issues I see others complaining about except when in really windy conditions. I did spend the money for the Driver backrest (the passenger as well). I feel this saved my lower back and is worth the extra money for it. I am also averaging 48.2 mpg so far. I added the CB/COM system so I could listen to my ipod using my helmet speakers as. Overall this has been a very enjoyable ride for me. Good luck with your decision.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
We can all give our PERSONAL feelings/opinions. The only one that matters is yours.

Go back to the Victory dealer and test ride both again. Sometimes the first ride is filled with excitement and you are having too much fun. lol See if the dealer will let you ride each for and extended period.

They both have their pros and cons for sure.

Good example is a lot of people think the Jackpot is a bar hopper. I've ridden 400 miles just stopping for gas and bathroom. Was a great ride and that was on the Ness solo seat!

I know you are asking for opinions and pros and cons but like I said what may be a con to one is a pro to another.

Remember this is something you may be living with for a while. Make sure it is something that in a few months you don't say I shoulda got the other bike.

One thing is for sure. Either way you go, you will be getting a great bike!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love the CC , but I still feel like

What the heck were they thinking when they introduced the Vision. That is the most common reaction when old bikers first see one and I must admit that's what I thought. Even my wife said that when she first saw one. I personally think they are ugly beyond comprehension, but I guess they are what the old fart Goldwing riders are looking for in an American made bike. Most old school riders like myself just shake our heads in wonderment. What market is Victory trying to capture? Don't get me wrong. I love my Victory and my wife really wants a Vegas Low, but I just don't get, nor do I see bikers flocking to the Vision. Well maybe the old Goldwingers that want a long distance tourer with all the luxury of a living room couch. Just my $.02.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
What the heck were they thinking when they introduced the Vision. That is the most common reaction when old bikers first see one and I must admit that's what I thought. Even my wife said that when she first saw one. I personally think they are ugly beyond comprehension, but I guess they are what the old fart Goldwing riders are looking for in an American made bike. Most old school riders like myself just shake our heads in wonderment. What market is Victory trying to capture? Don't get me wrong. I love my Victory and my wife really wants a Vegas Low, but I just don't get, nor do I see bikers flocking to the Vision. Well maybe the old Goldwingers that want a long distance tourer with all the luxury of a living room couch. Just my $.02.
Just because YOU don't see it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
The Visions were and still are flying off the showroom floors. I still see very few in showrooms now.

Lets see, Sonny Barger is old school and he owns a Victory VISION and loves it.

It always amazes me how some people think that because they think or believe something a certain way that everyone else is skewed if they don't.

BW you may not like it but it is very obvious that Victory hit a home run with the Vision.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a cross country and i just got done riding a vision out to sturgis 300 + miles so I guess I'm fresh on both bikes.

I would say if you are only going to ride long distances i would lean to the vision unless you live or ride where it is hot. the vision has lots of heat that comes off the motor.
The wind management is better on the vision but with fork lowers and aftermarket windshield the cross country are getting close.

If you want to have a space age looking bike. Its the vision!
If you want to have classic looking bagger its the cross bike. I had tons of HD guys come up to me at sturgis looking at my Cross Country and say Victory has finally made a good looking bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with you 100%.

Perhaps I failed to make myself clear by trying to be brief, but my previous post was meant to give my original reactions to the Vision, though I can see I failed to present that thought. I understand that when you ride a Vision a lot of your preconceived thoughts about the bike disappear. I am old school, but I have also had my years as a purist and as a tourer. I have owned a Triumph, an Indian (Royal Enfield), a Sportster, CB-750 Honda, two Honda Goldwings and several other bikes.

My initial thought when the Goldwing first came out was almost the same except that I thought it looked like a nice tourer. I thought they were too quiet, but after riding one I fell in love with them. I lived in Texas at the time and long distance riding was an everyday thing. I would probably feel the same way about the Vision. I still feel like they are somewhat ugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I look forward to the day when the Victory is looked upon like Harley is today, because I think Victory has a much better product to offer. I go to a lot of bike events and I just don't see a lot of Visions yet. I still don't see a whole lot of Victory motorcycles for that matter, but they are coming around more and more all the time. I love my V92C and feel it is a shame that Victory just left us out in the cold when they came out with the Vegas platform. Ever try to get simple needed things for a V92 series bike? Almost impossible. Things that are really needed like stock exhaust pipes are just not there. Any other automotive industry stocks parts for at least ten years. I believe that was a big mistake that Victory made and people do not forget marketing blunders like that very easily. I think Victory is the best built bike out there. Some things just need time to get accustomed to. The Vision is one of them. My next bike will probably be a CC though. Like I said, "I'm old school."

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is so weird.

Muzikfest is going on in my hometown right now and about one and a half million to two million people come here for the event over the ten days it goes on. There is a biker bar called Ripper's where all the bikers come every year to show off their bikes. Not one Vision. Sorry.

Last night we went to Lehighton Bike Nite. An annual event that draws about 20,000 Bikes. Saw two Visions. I wish there would have been more, but there wasn't. Saw two CC's, an Eight Ball, A Cross Roads, Nine Vegas, One Hammer and another V92C besides mine. Also saw one '03 TC. I really love Victory motorcycles and wish there would have been more, but there wasn't. It was the same thing for Northampton's Spring Thaw Rendezvous which drew about 25,000 bikes this year. I think there were about four Visions there.

The weird thing is this. I stood around one of the Visions for about an hour. I cannot tell you how many times I heard people say the same thing over and over again. "What were they thinking?" One person I overheard called it "Much too futuristic for me." I must admit that I did hear about three people say: "Nice bike."

I guess the point I am trying to make is that, I was hammered for saying what I thought when I originally saw the Vision. It looks like I am not alone, and they may be flying off the show room floors in California, but they are not back East. I visit three dealers in my area on a regular basis and all three have had the same Visions on the floor for over a year. I think one dealer sold two. I want to see Victory out sell Harley. I really do. Most people I know like the Victory line. Especially the Vegas and Hammer. The CC is catching on around here. Maybe the Vision will with time, but it doesn't seem to right now. We can all hope.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Muzikfest is going on in my hometown right now and about one and a half million to two million people come here for the event over the ten days it goes on. There is a biker bar called Ripper's where all the bikers come every year to show off their bikes. Not one Vision. Sorry.

Last night we went to Lehighton Bike Nite. An annual event that draws about 20,000 Bikes. Saw two Visions. I wish there would have been more, but there wasn't. Saw two CC's, an Eight Ball, A Cross Roads, Nine Vegas, One Hammer and another V92C besides mine. Also saw one '03 TC. I really love Victory motorcycles and wish there would have been more, but there wasn't. It was the same thing for Northampton's Spring Thaw Rendezvous which drew about 25,000 bikes this year. I think there were about four Visions there.

The weird thing is this. I stood around one of the Visions for about an hour. I cannot tell you how many times I heard people say the same thing over and over again. "What were they thinking?" One person I overheard called it "Much too futuristic for me." I must admit that I did hear about three people say: "Nice bike."

I guess the point I am trying to make is that, I was hammered for saying what I thought when I originally saw the Vision. It looks like I am not alone, and they may be flying off the show room floors in California, but they are not back East. I visit three dealers in my area on a regular basis and all three have had the same Visions on the floor for over a year. I think one dealer sold two. I want to see Victory out sell Harley. I really do. Most people I know like the Victory line. Especially the Vegas and Hammer. The CC is catching on around here. Maybe the Vision will with time, but it doesn't seem to right now. We can all hope.
Wow 18 victory's out of 25,000? there must be much more sturation in the midwest. We go to several bike nighs around here where there will be 50 to 100 bikes and i will bet 5% are victory's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's nice having a bike that isn't as common as Harleys. Harleys seem to be a dime a dozen. I will take my Cross Country over a Harley any day. The majority of Harley riders in New England still don't wave, but I don't care. I never got into the Harley lifestyle thing. I guess because I'm not a middle aged overweight guy that dresses like a pirate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love your post and agree 100%

I am 64 and run long distance. I work out regularly. I struggle with weight as do most people my age, but can take on most people in their 30's any day. I have a zest for life that most have lost by age 40. I really want Victory to be the dominate the American bike scene. I love my Victory. It is the first bike in my life that I can really get into. I just believe the CC is the bike they should look at as their flagship and not the Vision. Can you imagine what could happen if they put the bells and whistles on the CC that they put on the Vision? OMG! I would go into further debt in a heartbeat. Harley is the bike of the past and Victory is the American bike of the future. My wife is begging me for a Vegas Low, but it is no where near our budget with me planning to retire around 70. If she really wants one bad enough though I guess we will have to work it in. Nobody wants Victory to succeed more than I do. Just my $.02.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hats off to BWGaugler! You're livin' right. Enjoy, and keep that v92 nice and clean!

I don't own either a vision or a cc, but I see them as two polar opposites from Victory. The vision is very progressive, if not futuristic. The CC is Victory's take on a classic with all the modern touches. Personally, I would buy a CC before a vision. The vision is a very large bike, too much for my liking. I love the look of the CC and would buy one if I was so inclined. Although it is very much personal opinion, I think the CC is much more attractive looking than the vision. However, for now, I love my KP and am not interested in letting it go. I have it set up for solo riding, which is how I like to roll, and it is a pretty quick bike for a large cruiser.

jst my .02.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Demo Day Ride

My wife and I went to a Demo ride yesterday in Branford CT. Apex Motorsports. I had ridden a 2010 Vision and a 2010 Cross Country seperately about 2 months apart. I thought they were equal in all ways. Yesterday We rode both two up within an hour. Both were 2011's. The CC first, we both said it felt great. Within 5 minutes on the Vision we said it was the winner hands down. The CC is a better looking bike, but for comfort and ridability the Vision tops it. As long as I can keep my Kingpin for cruising we'll get a Vision for Two-up longer rides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
in time grasshopper... in time

This is one of those old farts that rides a Vision Tour Premium. I earned the right to have this bike! I started my younger years on a hardtail chopper. I have riden everything from this chopper to a custom 102 hp FXR clone. (30 years of seat time)
After serving my country for over 21 years and traveling all over the globe my body is a bit beat up. (too many hard landings under a parachute) At this point in my life I want to cruise. I am an old school biker however I am not stuck in that hard ass persona. The vision is a great bike and I will ride it until the wheels fall off... or I fall off! Then I might consider a trike (for real old farts!)
Ride what your heart tells you to ride... not what others impose.
Keep it on 2 wheels my brothers.
Stretch

1 - 20 of 26 Posts