Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned nothing but Japanese bikes so far and nothing but water cooled. I was wondering how prone this bike may be to over heating? This bike is high on my list of "next bike" list. I got caught on I95 in the bronx a couple years ago on my Kaw 900LT for about 2 hours to do 3 or 4 miles. I am not sure how an air cooled bike would have made it thru that. Only other thing I wish they would do is put the idiot switch on the kickstand. Its a nice safety feature to have.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Im still new to Victories myself, have my XC for only about 5 months. But first they are not air cooled they are Oil Cooled, so that helps. I have not heard of any overheating issues with the Vics yet, your legs might get hot though:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
You will feel a little heat at a stop on a hot day but if you have ever ridden a Harley in the summer you will love this bike, night and day. The Victory is air cooled but does have an oil cooler that helps pull the heat out of the motor, combination of both, some would ague semantics, the cooler and the air going across the motor. Harley also has an oil cooler but it only circulates the oil in the crankcase. Victory actually circulates the oil through the cylinders, guess where all the heat is generated? Exactly, the cylinders. Victory actually downsized their oil coolers in the beginning because they had a problem warming the engine up. You ever get a chance look on YouTube, there's some videos of the Victory motor cut away next to a Harley motor cut away. Pretty interesting when you compare the two, Victory took the time and engineered a motor from the ground up, did it right the first time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heres the link, Im sure this has been around the block a few times but if you have'nt seen it check it out. I think he might even talk about the oil cooling the heads.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Harley's overheat (all the time in hit weather conditions and stop & go traffic), Victory's don't. It's that simple. thumb up

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Having owned nothing but Japanese bikes so far and nothing but water cooled. I was wondering how prone this bike may be to over heating? This bike is high on my list of "next bike" list. I got caught on I95 in the bronx a couple years ago on my Kaw 900LT for about 2 hours to do 3 or 4 miles. I am not sure how an air cooled bike would have made it thru that. Only other thing I wish they would do is put the idiot switch on the kickstand. Its a nice safety feature to have.
Got caught in Denver Colorado comming back from Sturgis last year. It was about 95 degrees that day in stop and go traffic for about 2 hrs. with no overheating problems. Also was in 114 degrees in San Angelo, TX on a Bank sign and 118 on my ambient temp gauge on my way to Sturgis loaded down. Temp didn't get below 110 until about 7:30 that evening in Lubuck Tx. Engine didn't get overheated then either, even though I was about to die from the heat.:crzy:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rode to Vegas with my brother in September heat. 100+ heat at 80 mph for three hours, only stopping for gas. Never over heated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gid day
I've come from a 2003 Ultra Classic which had S&S touring CAMS, PCIII, Vance and Hines monster ovals & factory HD oil cooler. My HD did get hot in city traffic but my new 2012 XCT gets even hotter. Mainly my right upper leg. The bike is only 1 month old and has already had the first, 800 klm/500 mile, service and at that time I brought this to the attention of the dealer. He said everything on the bike is running fine but I still get, what I consider, excessive heat. It's bearable but sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable. Thank goodness for Kevlar jeans.

Just my observation and 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I've come from a 2003 Ultra Classic which had S&S touring CAMS, PCIII, Vance and Hines monster ovals & factory HD oil cooler. My HD did get hot in city traffic but my new 2012 XCT gets even hotter.
On the Harley you did modicications that would allow a better air/fuel ratio and give cooler running. Have you done the same modifications to the Victory? If not this is not a fair comparison, is it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool video.... will have to look to see if there is more to it. Its very encouraging to hear that none of you are having any overheating problems. I realize that I'll get more engine heat when I am moving slowly than I would water cooled.

I can't test ride one until the first part of May when the demo circuit comes to town. But so far this bike is in the lead against the Kaw Voyager. I really like the BMW K1600GTL. Test rode that last year, but its so complex I can't do my own basic maintenance and that has really turned me off.

Reading over the owners manual of the XCT it looks like my current bike that I can do most everything myself.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The hard lowers just don't let enough air flow to your legs. I don't think the bike will be a problem, but your comfort may be unbearable. That being said, you can always remove the lowers in the hottest part of the riding season.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just a couple of notes... the Harley frame and seat over the rear cylinder is wider and blocks more of the heat even though the Victory cylinder is tucked in more... I added a leather heat shield to protect my thighs, as well as a flow thru vent in the forward fairing. Also an oil cooler is a standard feature on the Victory and is engineered into the engine design and not an afterthought as with the Harley.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I added a leather heat shield to protect my thighs.
Where did you get this heat shield for your XCT? I have seen these on Harley's but not on the Victory's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is nothing about oil cooling in that particular video. Did you mean to post a different video of that series?
I just grabbed one of the videos out of the series, you will have to look at them all to find it, and as I stated I think it covers the oil cooling, not 100 % sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just grabbed one of the videos out of the series, you will have to look at them all to find it, and as I stated I think it covers the oil cooling, not 100 % sure.
It does. There are 5 videos in that series. They say the oil pump has 2 sides to it. One side high pressure for lube and one side low pressure for cooling. Very interesting videos. I didn't care much about the Harley comparison since they aren't on my wish list.

·
Registered
329 Posts
On the Harley you did modicications that would allow a better air/fuel ratio and give cooler running. Have you done the same modifications to the Victory? If not this is not a fair comparison, is it?
This is a good point. In stock form the XC (and all bikes) run hot because of the lean fuel curve from the factory (damn EPA!). You can tell a noticeable difference in engine heat when you go to a fuel controller and bring that A:F ratio down a bit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your sitting on a bike that’s air-cooled, they say its liquid cooled because the oil does help cool it. The reality is it is air-cooled. If your setting still and no air is moving across it you will feel some heat. Yes the oil cooler still removes some heat through convection at a stand still and does make a difference, your still going to feel some heat. Regardless my 2008 Ultra was like an oven. The heat off the rear cylinder was almost unbearable, and the bike ran like **** when it was hot. The pre-detonation sounded like a can of marbles being shaken in a coffee can, we all know what pre-detonation does to a motor, accelerated wear if not complete destruction over time. Of course you can raise the octane with additives, as I did but then it still runs like ****. I have ridden both bikes in stock form and the Victory is heads above the Harley when it comes to heat management. Very tolerable even at 100 degrees in the summer. Do you feel heat? Yes but it is not bad. If you don’t want to feel heat then buy a Jap bike with a radiator and fan, and hope the fan doesn’t direct the heat on you. I rode a 2008 Honda ST1300 and the heat being blown off the radiator was terrible, heard they have since fixed this but cant say for myself. As previously stated you can make some changes to the bike in changing the air fuel ration and getting betting flowing pipes to get the heat out and the heat is very minimal. Personally I don’t have a problem with the heat in stock form in the middle of summer. At over a hundred degrees in Arizona heat I don’t really notice it because it’s like I’m in an oven regardless of heat coming off the motor. To each to own, if you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen, buy a car and turn the AC on. Your sitting on top off a motor right under your ass in the open elements and that’s why we ride, because we like it, hard to explain to some people and some will never understand it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
victorys are air and oil cooled

1 - 20 of 20 Posts