Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victories website has changed, and while looking at it, I noticed a picture of the new trunk for the Cross Country. Could not find it as an accessory. Does anyone know a price on this? I know it is going to be through the roof.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just saw it listed on the pure polaris site. It is selling for $1749 and also there is an uplift kit for $99 and a trunk lock kit for $39 for 2010 Cross Countries. It looks like it will be a quick release, with a rear tail light and speakers. Still that is a lot of money!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw it listed on the pure polaris site. It is selling for $1749 and also there is an uplift kit for $99 and a trunk lock kit for $39 for 2010 Cross Countries. It looks like it will be a quick release, with a rear tail light and speakers. Still that is a lot of money!
Sounds like a bargain. Victory does like their stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the quick release rear rest and It takes 30 seconds to remove the existing rear backrest if I don't bolt it in. I am thinking of adding the trunk if it is quick release for longer trips with my significant other,

·
Registered
26 Posts
1750.00 here in tucson...and it is not a lot of money...it is way too much f-n money...
It's not if you want a real top case and not a hacked together aftermarket hard bag.

Go price a top case and all the mounting hardware required for quick release on the Harley site then add to the price for lights and integrated stereo speakers and see what it comes to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's not if you want a real top case and not a hacked together aftermarket hard bag.

Go price a top case and all the mounting hardware required for quick release on the Harley site then add to the price for lights and integrated stereo speakers and see what it comes to?
I don't know where you come form but where I come from $1750 is A LOT of money! The price of accessories for the Victory's is ridiculous. $150 for a cord to connect an iPod? $499 for a luggage rack? $770 for rider and passenger backrests?

And PLEASE don't use the "Well go to H-D and see what their accessories cost" argument because everyone knows H-D stands for HUNDRED DOLLAR.

The problem with anything is that it's worth whatever someone will pay for it and enough people reach for their wallets without giving it a second thought.

I like my Cross Country, I am glad I bought it and I did not go into the purchase blind to accessory costs, but the only reason I did buy my XC was that the dealer cut me a pretty sweet deal on the accessories I wanted at the time of purchase. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't say it wasn't a lot of money. What I said is you get what you pay for.

Yes, some of their prices are crazy but you always have the choice of not buying them. Polaris uses a pretty standard pricing policy so you can be pretty sure the list prices they advertise reflect their cost of manufacturing. While the price if the backrest and luggage rack seem very high set them side by side with a cheaper product and compare what you get. That iPod cable includes specialized electronics that Victory has to OEM, figure the parts and licensing cost them 25% of list, they mark it up, then the dealer marks it up and you get the $150 price. Price out a factory supported, full featured iPod interface for BMW, VW or Ford for that matter and see how many time $150 they cost.

And yes, comparing it to the H-D equivalent is appropriate since there are very few other companies producing a comparable product.

I have a garage full of aftermarket crap that looks to be a better buy but after the fact proved to be lame in comparison to the factory accessory. Just because there is a lot of crap out there for Harley's doesn't mean the Victory parts are overpriced.

Face it, this ain't a Honda Shadow, it's going to cost Harley dollars to accessorize it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't say it wasn't a lot of money. What I said is you get what you pay for.

Yes, some of their prices are crazy but you always have the choice of not buying them. Polaris uses a pretty standard pricing policy so you can be pretty sure the list prices they advertise reflect their cost of manufacturing. While the price if the backrest and luggage rack seem very high set them side by side with a cheaper product and compare what you get. That iPod cable includes specialized electronics that Victory has to OEM, figure the parts and licensing cost them 25% of list, they mark it up, then the dealer marks it up and you get the $150 price. Price out a factory supported, full featured iPod interface for BMW, VW or Ford for that matter and see how many time $150 they cost.

And yes, comparing it to the H-D equivalent is appropriate since there are very few other companies producing a comparable product.

I have a garage full of aftermarket crap that looks to be a better buy but after the fact proved to be lame in comparison to the factory accessory. Just because there is a lot of crap out there for Harley's doesn't mean the Victory parts are overpriced.

Face it, this ain't a Honda Shadow, it's going to cost Harley dollars to accessorize it.
It is way over priced, they are gouging both the well off folks that pay that, and the others that are buried in debt but have allot a bling to go with it.

Yes it is nice, yes it is better that the after market, yes it is worth more, the problem is not that much. They should have put a pocket or tray in the fairing, plug the IPOD straight in there, and used the IPOD to change the songs. Charge $5 for the cable then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is way over priced, they are gouging both the well off folks that pay that, and the others that are buried in debt but have allot a bling to go with it.

Yes it is nice, yes it is better that the after market, yes it is worth more, the problem is not that much. They should have put a pocket or tray in the fairing, plug the IPOD straight in there, and used the IPOD to change the songs. Charge $5 for the cable then.
You can do that, there's a plug in the faring that you can tap into and run a $5 cable to your handlebar so you aren't required to buy the $150 cable package to listen to an iPod if you don't want to. I wanted it hidden and integrated so I bought the parts. I also bought the integrated CB and antenna and sure, I could have done it for less with something strapped to the handlebars but I wanted integrated. It's entirely your choice, don't go claiming that Victory is gouging when you have NO IDEA what it cost them to engineer, manufacture and distribute the part.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's entirely your choice, don't go claiming that Victory is gouging when you have NO IDEA what it cost them to engineer, manufacture and distribute the part.
OK fine, if Vic has $149 of cost worked up in that cable with all their R&D, engineers and so on, probably making a buck on profit, that is cool. Luggage rack is some steel, dipped in chrome. Most everyone else out there seems to be able to do it for under $200.

Doesn't matter either way, I am a capitalist, they can charge whatever they figure you will give them. If it gives you an idea of markup, they are giving $5000 off select 2010 and 2009 Victory's. Do you assume they are taking a loss on those?

·
Registered
679 Posts
OK fine, if Vic has $149 of cost worked up in that cable with all their R&D, engineers and so on, probably making a buck on profit, that is cool. Luggage rack is some steel, dipped in chrome. Most everyone else out there seems to be able to do it for under $200.

Doesn't matter either way, I am a capitalist, they can charge whatever they figure you will give them. If it gives you an idea of markup, they are giving $5000 off select 2010 and 2009 Victory's. Do you assume they are taking a loss on those?
I think everyone is entitled to make a profit. How ever, Vic accessories are on the high end. And to be honest with you any of the chrome stuff I have purchased from Vic for my 2010 XC is definitely some of the weakest light weight poor chromed items I have ever bought. If you want quality in metal chromed items look at kewlmetal, witchdoctors, and anything Kuryakyn makes the Vic stuff look second rate. And while you are looking at that $1000.00 Factory passenger backrest with luggage rack, try to get someone from Vic or their dealers to give you a carrying Capacity of their luggage rack. I love my XC. My local dealer has been great! But I have not got anything good to say about Vic's customer support after the purchase. I am amazed that after having the factory luggage rack available to purchase for a year now they can't give you a carrying capacity. If you open the saddle bags they have a 25 lb. maximum sticker on the bags. I thing that there is a weak link somewhere on the 2010 X bikes and they are not giving the capacity for fear of the possibility of doing a factory call back to make them up to the 2011 X Bikes. If you check into it you will see that you have to buy an optional support bracket to carry the trunk a 2011 comes with.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts

Most made to fit backrests, and racks for the X bikes will run you over $600 in the aftermarket. Still low compared to the Vic cost, but well above the $200 you speak to.

The $5000 you reference is more then a little confusing. The number includes the rebate, military discount, and the SAVINGS from the low interest financing. So basically the discount is closer to $1500 for civilians, and $2500 for military; if you do not qualify for the low interest rate[775 Beacon] As for Vic selling at a loss. Right now they are pretty much at a loss on all 08 models. They have not been paid for them, and are carrying them on their own ledger. So they are pushing interest out the door every day. Really the only people making a buck on the hold overs is GE Capital. Collecting floor plan from dealers, and interest from Vic to service debt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been reading all the junk on this board and other motorcycle B-Boards about the price of OEM accessories and repair service. If you have ever worked retail, you know what is going on. I worked for a major electronics retailer for over 11 years. Here is what you need to know.
When you buy the main unit, let’s say an HP printer, the retailer makes about 1% margin, if that much. Why do you think the ink cartridge is so high? They are making their money on the ink. They don’t make anything on the printer, unless you also buy the USB cable that is not included. Why is the cable not included, so the retailer can have a chance of making a buck, or in most cases about 300% margin. That is right the money is made in the accessories. The sales person will tell you that including the cable will increase the cost and what if you already have the cable, you have paid for something that you have no use for.
So let’s apply this to a motorcycle. The Victory Cross Country has an MSRP of $17,999. So let’s apply 5% margin, which is $900 in margin, not profit. After they cover their overhead they might be lucky to have $200-$250, again if that much. Multiply that by the number of bikes they sell in a month and you can see why the cost of OEM accessories and the cost of the service is as high as it is. That is why you get a better price from the service guy around the corner. The service guy around the corner does not have a building full of unsold new bikes that they are paying interest on each month, sales and administrative people to make sure all your needs are met and there are no issues legalities of your purchase.

Remember, motorcycles are not link soda, candy bars, or beer. Not everyone wants or can afford a motorcycle. The demand is low and the cost is high. Think of what it would be like to purchase a six pack of beer, if you had to pass a test, pay insurance, and license it. They cost would be just as high, and not everyone would purchase the product.
Cut the dealer some slack and remember you purchased the bike, no one made you buy it. You don’t like the cost of things that are involved, then sell the bike. Stop crying about it every time you need a tire changed or want to add a piece of chrome.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Dealer makes more on the bike then the accessories. Vic gives us a pretty small margin to work with on that stuff. However they have removed a lot of content so you are definatly right about giving the dealer more things to sell

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have been reading all the junk on this board and other motorcycle B-Boards about the price of OEM accessories and repair service. If you have ever worked retail, you know what is going on. I worked for a major electronics retailer for over 11 years. Here is what you need to know.
When you buy the main unit, let’s say an HP printer, the retailer makes about 1% margin, if that much. Why do you think the ink cartridge is so high? They are making their money on the ink. They don’t make anything on the printer, unless you also buy the USB cable that is not included. Why is the cable not included, so the retailer can have a chance of making a buck, or in most cases about 300% margin. That is right the money is made in the accessories. The sales person will tell you that including the cable will increase the cost and what if you already have the cable, you have paid for something that you have no use for.
So let’s apply this to a motorcycle. The Victory Cross Country has an MSRP of $17,999. So let’s apply 5% margin, which is $900 in margin, not profit. After they cover their overhead they might be lucky to have $200-$250, again if that much. Multiply that by the number of bikes they sell in a month and you can see why the cost of OEM accessories and the cost of the service is as high as it is. That is why you get a better price from the service guy around the corner. The service guy around the corner does not have a building full of unsold new bikes that they are paying interest on each month, sales and administrative people to make sure all your needs are met and there are no issues legalities of your purchase.

Remember, motorcycles are not link soda, candy bars, or beer. Not everyone wants or can afford a motorcycle. The demand is low and the cost is high. Think of what it would be like to purchase a six pack of beer, if you had to pass a test, pay insurance, and license it. They cost would be just as high, and not everyone would purchase the product.
Cut the dealer some slack and remember you purchased the bike, no one made you buy it. You don’t like the cost of things that are involved, then sell the bike. Stop crying about it every time you need a tire changed or want to add a piece of chrome.
Once again I would like to add that my complaint isn't about the price of their accessories. It is about the poor quality of the chrome, and the lack of any follow up or information as to the durability and capacity of their OEM luggage rack.

As far as any retail experience, I owned and operated a Marine store that sold boats and snowmobiles from 1965 until 1990. I Sold the business and now I am a general contractor that stills deals in a retail business. It may have changed some from when I got out of it. When I quit selling Ski Doo snowmobiles, a close competitor to Polaris, The margin on the machine was 25% (a far difference of the 1% you mention) You would get free floor plan for up to 6 months before you had to spend any of your own money on the inventory. Now most cross bikes have sold at near retail so on my cross country @ $18500.00 (upgrade paint color) times 25% the dealer should have grossed around $4650.00 the dealer charged prep and license fees above that price. Now lets talk about parts and accessories, again when I sold them they had 40% markup. so for example for my Passenger backrest and luggage rack @ $1000.00 list, with a 40% margin, the dealer should have grossed $400.00 profit. Not bad for a phone call to Polaris to order. Again I will say the dealer needs to make money. Polaris needs to make money. They need to make money so when I talk to my dealer and he doesn't know the capacity of the $1000.00 backrest/luggage rack SOMEONE at POLARIS WILL.

That is my COMPLAINT. So you with all your retail experience just keep on buying the ink for your 1% marked up printer. I have never complained about the price my dealer charges for service. (almost $100.00 per hour). His service is excellent. As far as the accessories and parts from Polaris, I do think they are on the high side on price, and on the low side on quality and structural design. If you would like to compare backrests, go look at a factory backrest for a Suzuki C50 Cost around 250.00 Thickness of the material over 200% more that the Victory. Weight Capacity 200lbs. Victory, $500.00 1/2 the thickness, no comparison to the quality of the welds and chrome, the vics looks like a junior high school welding class did the work. The chrome on the bottom side is dull and it is only 6 month old. Weight Capacity I don't know but I will ask the tooth fairy tonight I might get a answer:ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
26 Posts
You do know that the backrest and rack are made by Kuryakyn, right? And a 200lb rating on a luggage rack or backrest, that pure BS! 20 lbs is more like it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts