Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Victory forum because I'm researching the cross country vs. goldwing. I have owned a kawasaki vulcan classic lt for one year. I am 53 years old and this is the first bike I have ever owned. I am looking for a bigger bike for comfort and power. I'm not a race horse but just would like more power than the 900 I have now. I ride alot in the country for 1 to 3 hour rides but would like to go on some short trips. Can anyone give me some pointers to think about both as far as city and country handling and up keep and power. I have test drove both and like both (other than the tremendous buffeting on the cross country). Thanks for your input.

Larry Pace
Murfreesboro, Tn

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Can't tell you that the Goldwing's a bad bike, because it isn't. Both your choices are good touring bikes.

I've never rode a goldwing, but from what I've head from others, it's not the best parking lot ballerina.

There are a few members here who own a wing and a XC, so they'll be the best to step in and provide you some insight.

Btw, which one got you smiling bigger when you test rode? One of them just has to have more of what you're looking for than the other (without meaning the other's an inferior machine).

Also, have you considered the Vision? If you're looking at the wing and XC, the Vision should get test ridden too. cheers

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I've been riding 59 years and a touring rider since the 1970s and put tens of thousands of miles on 'em - mostly Yamaha Venture first generations. Now in my mid 70s and wanting to continue riding, but requiring a lower seat and CG, I was forced to consider a cruiser, but I never liked cruisers for many reasons. Coincidentally, Victory brought out the Cross bikes and I checked them out. Its as if Victory asked guys like me, "what would it take to get you to buy one of ours?" And they did it in spades. They carve, they have great suspension travel, there's a comfy passenger seat and they're about 200 pounds lighter than a Wing or Venture. They are great for 400+ mile days or for hopping to the store. Now I no longer have to have an errand bike in the garage. I'm down to only one bike for the first time in decades. Do take CrossRoads advice and thoroughly test ride ALL candidates, but have your checkbook handy when you come back with the Cross bike. Yes, its that impressive. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New to the Victory forum because I'm researching the cross country vs. goldwing. I have owned a kawasaki vulcan classic lt for one year. I am 53 years old and this is the first bike I have ever owned. I am looking for a bigger bike for comfort and power. I'm not a race horse but just would like more power than the 900 I have now. I ride alot in the country for 1 to 3 hour rides but would like to go on some short trips. Can anyone give me some pointers to think about both as far as city and country handling and up keep and power. I have test drove both and like both (other than the tremendous buffeting on the cross country). Thanks for your input.

Larry Pace
Murfreesboro, Tn
Hi Larry,
I just sold my 2005 Goldwing to buy a Vision. Yes, the Goldwing is an incredible machine, but I just couldn't get comfortable on it. I owned it for 4 years and put 35k miles on it. I modified the seat, added driver backrest, bar risers and numerous types of highway pegs all of which helped but I still felt cramped and would hurt after a couple of hours. I'm only 5'7 but it just never felt right. I don't know how bigger guys ride the Wing.

I live in VA, bought my Vision in Boulder, CO, flew out two weeks ago, picked it up and rode home. 1900 miles in two and a half days and I have never been more comfortable on a bike. At the end of each day, I was not fatigued or hurting at all and could have ridden further. I love the Vision and I'm sure the XC would be just as good.

Good luck and be safe.
Joel

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have test drove both and like both (other than the tremendous buffeting on the cross country). Thanks for your input.

Larry Pace
Murfreesboro, Tn
Cross Country buffeting can be corrected with some very simple, not terribly expensive windshield and fork lowers combinations. I know because I have one. thumb up:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like the OP I'm looking to upgrade after having a 900 LT for a year or so, and my short list is: XC, Goldwing, BMW R1200RT. Frankly I find a lot to like about the Harley EG and it even has outdated tech and costs too much ;) but I took it off the list anyway. Goldwing is hanging by a thread since it's so freakin' HEAVY, 100 lb more than an XC (about the same as a Vision Tour, though)

Most reviews of the Harley 103 comment on the heat problem. I've never heard of it on the Vics but am wondering if that's just because it's merely "less bad" than a Harley or is it truly not an issue? My bike is semi-liquid cooled and has half the displacement of a Vic so there's less of a heat problem to begin with.

40XC, tell us more about your windshield mods?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have both, as do a few others on this forum. Not really comparable bikes, in my view. The Vision would compare better to a Wing.

Wing is way more comfortable on a long trip, way more torque, no buffeting, yada yada yada.

XC is a VTwin with character.

Both handle great, I would say the XC is a bit better because it is lighter.

Both are reliable and low maintenance.

The Wing has options like ABS that are not available on the XC (although they are on the Vision).

If I were looking at a Wing, I would ride a Vision.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Most reviews of the Harley 103 comment on the heat problem. I've never heard of it on the Vics but am wondering if that's just because it's merely "less bad" than a Harley or is it truly not an issue? My bike is semi-liquid cooled and has half the displacement of a Vic so there's less of a heat problem to begin with.
If you ever see both bikes next to each other, look at the amount and size of the cooling fins on both bikes. That will help explain the difference in heat. The Wing should be compared to a Vision, IMHO, not the XC.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like the OP I'm looking to upgrade after having a 900 LT for a year or so, and my short list is: XC, Goldwing, BMW R1200RT. Frankly I find a lot to like about the Harley EG and it even has outdated tech and costs too much ;) but I took it off the list anyway. Goldwing is hanging by a thread since it's so freakin' HEAVY, 100 lb more than an XC (about the same as a Vision Tour, though)

I don't really have any mods to the windshield other than it is the optional tall Victory windshield. I tried the flip windshield Victory came out with and didn't like it because I got a lot of wind around the side corners of that windshield. I aslo put a set of Memphis Shades fork lowers on mine. It was the first XC they did that to and we used the clamps they publish for the Hammer since the forks are similar. There are some threads on these forums about making your own lowers which some guys have done with really nice results and of course Victory does offer them as well but I think they look out of place on the XC(they seem to be the ones they have for the Kingpin/Vegas). I also have the soft highwaybar closeouts. I don't like them in warmer weather but they fold up and store in the saddlebag and stay with the bike at all times because they make for awsome wet protection from running in rain and wet roads. I have them on now because I've been riding to work a lot with the mornings being in the low 30's. The wind protection on my bike the way I have it set up is quite good for this type of riding. I think the heated hand grips would be nice but it's very tollerable with good gloves.:eek:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I also have the soft highwaybar closeouts. I don't like them in warmer weather but they fold up and store in the saddlebag and stay with the bike at all times because they make for awsome wet protection from running in rain and wet roads. I think the heated hand grips would be nice but it's very tollerable with good gloves.:eek:[/QUOTE

40XC, do you find the soft closeouts really help with buffeting? That has been my excperience, but really curious as to how others feel. I am leaving my bike at Cee Baileys when I travel so they can design some "hard" lowers (I have no financial interest, just want something better).

I have the heated grips, and they are really really nice. You wouldn't be disappointed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
40XC, do you find the soft closeouts really help with buffeting? That has been my excperience, but really curious as to how others feel. I am leaving my bike at Cee Baileys when I travel so they can design some "hard" lowers (I have no financial interest, just want something better).

I have the heated grips, and they are really really nice. You wouldn't be disappointed.
I find the fork lowers deals with the buffeting pretty well whether I have the HWY bar closeouts on or not. The closeouts do pull a lot of heat from the enging in the summer when it's warm and that's when I prefer to not use them. To me the soft lowers are the best of both worlds.
:D

·
Registered
528 Posts
The buffeting is a simple fix in the most part on the XC. The XC and Goldwing do not belong in the same category. I agree that the vision would be but not a XC. When I was looking at adding another touring bike I test rode everything out there. I already had a HD Ultra Classic so I left it alone on this round.
The Yamaha venture was too top heavy for my short legs.
The BMW service was entirely too far to ride for service. I did really like it but it was tall.
I borrowed my cousins Goldwing for a weekend. Although it was taller than what I was use to it was very balanced and not top heavy at all.
Test road the Vision, liked it a lot. Low center of gravity, handling was very good, smooth but not as smooth as the Goldwing. The storage really sucked. That was a big minius.
The cross country/roads were out but no trunks were available then or hard to get.
I ended up with the Goldwing. In town I have no problem getting around on it. Not much to do to these they are ready when ya leave the bike shop.
Sorry for the long post.
I do a lot of LD. Anything under 500 miles is a short ride for me.
If you are able to rent either for a full day do so. A test ride is not worthy of a evaluation.

Remember you are the only 1 that has to be happy with what ya get.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I rode my Wing 90k, great bike. It does a lot of things right, no question. When the wife got her Vision-08- and I rode it once in awhile, I was able to see the diferences. Vision in my openion handled better, riding position was better and I could touch the ground-29" inseam. I was extremely at home on the thing. The biggest differences for me was the wet weather protection was better on the Wing, but it did not have the electric windshield, very nice. The other thing was the roll on speed, you just cannot beat that from anything but a Wing. A flat six has its advantages there. Once you get over the bulkly look of the Wing it handles very well in the twisties and in town. I towed many thousands of miles with my Wing.
But----I really like my Cross Country. At this point I do not think I would go back to the Wing, NOT that it is a bad bike by any means but my
Victory and the other ones(Victory motorcycles) that we have owned are in my mind just as reliable as a Honda.

I am now towing with my Cross Country, and it does very well. Plenty of power and I think it handles cross winds better than the Wing, not to mention 6th gear and much better milage as long as you behave and the cost, Wings are getting pretty spendy. Look at both or all of the other touring bikes out there. Take extensive rides and settle on what you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too bought a (used) 900 LT Classic to see if I would really enjoy riding after not riding for 30 years. After two months I starte looking at a biger bike for the same reasons. I was looking at used Vics when I was talked into taking a ride on an XC. I fell in love and bought it a 2011.
I've added the higher windscreen (I'm 6"3") lowers and have been using the closeouts sine January. I've noticed a signioficant reduction in the buffeting. In a nutshell, I'm real happy with the XC.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Larry Pace
Murfreesboro, Tn
Larry, one other way to consider this comparison process is the design principals of the front end. In the end of your comments you mentioned the buffeting you felt on the cc. The basic difference in design is the gw is a frame mounted fairing and the cc is a fork mounted fairing. Some of the buffeting you are probably noticing when comparing these two bikes is the cc fairing transmiting the wind conditions to the front forks. You feel this in the handle bars significantly as well as steering reactions at the front wheel. In other words wind turbulence is transmitted directly to your hands and the front wheel. This is something you don't have to fight on a wing, or on a vision as it's also frame mounted.

Another consideration for me is the leg position on each bike. With the platform footrests on the cc you are able to move around more and have the ability to stretch out more. This is the main complaint I have heard over the years from people touring on other bikes that have foot pegs that place your feet and legs below the seat area. I promise you will arrive with much more comfort after an even longer ride on the cc or vision than you will on a gw.

Keep us posted on your final choice. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts