Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I need is the depth of the drop center and the width of the drop. I am thinking about getting tire pressure monitors. But I just cant convince myself I want to use the fobo cap type. They seem to work well, but they also depress the schrader valve core to read pressure. So if the seal should leak in cap your air leaks. I do suppose the monitors would tell you the pressure is low. But if possible I may be able to source out inside transmitters that would fit in the wheel.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I can almost guarantee you will incur wheel balance problems. I did, even though I added Ride-On. I will use neither any longer. Now, I use a bead type balancer and do a preflight with a tire gauge. No one that I know has ever said they are glad they have a TPMS. I guess they are a good thing when air loss occurs, but how often has that happened to you? I think you are overthinking. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used only balance beads since about 2008. They work great. I normaly check tire press twice a week or so when riding to work, and always if bike has sat and not been ridden. Come to think of it, thefobo probably wont work with the beads as they will plug the sensor.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think using balance beads it would balance out the tire even with the transmitters in there.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Some Experience: Doran and FOBO

I have some experience in this area, with two external valve-stem sensor systems for about four years now. Basically, I agree with @RICZ, i.e., overthinking it.

Doran 360M:

On my XCT (sold last year, as many of you know), I was running the Doran TPMS, for about three years.

Theoretically nice system, in that it included its own display module (e.g., no phone or pocket fob required), the display uses bike power, and the display is waterproof. Also, the sensors are sealed units (which Doran touts as a sort of safety feature). Last, unlike a few systems on the market, no wheel rotation is necessary to check the current pressure, e.g., you can check things before starting to ride.

OTOH: the non-replaceable batteries lasted way less than Doran claimed they would, and replacing the sensors is expensive; when stationary -- never when moving -- the sensors sometimes lost connection with the display. (They used an older RF communication protocol, not Bluetooth.)

I wrote a review of this system for webBikeWorld in 2014, which you may find a little useful:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/doran-360m-tpms-review/

FOBO:

Given the hassles and costs of the Doran, at the start of the 2017 I added the FOBO sensors (and stems -- more of that in a minute) to my current bike (a Burgman 650 scooter, which @PaiN did a minor dirt-throwing, burnout-like, spin-up, when starting a brief test ride).

I like the FOBO system a lot more, although I've given up the real-time-riding monitoring (because I don't have any helmet speakers, let alone Bluetooth ones, and I only mount my phone visibly on the bike for occasional GPS purposes).

That is, I use the system mostly for a pre-ride check of pressures. And we all know what a PITA it is to check, say, the rear wheel of a bagger the old-fashioned way, i.e., on the ground, with very little clearance.

There's a nice review of the FOBO system on webBikeWorld:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/fobo-bike-tpms-review/

I did NOT write that one, but I do have two lengthy comments ("B.P.") at the end of that review. I first noted some limitations, and then, later, I basically ate crow, noting that I switched over to FOBO.

Leakage:

So, in four or five years, and, I dunno, 30,000 - 40,000 miles, two systems, a bunch of sensors, no leaks. As you note, you would get alerted to a slow leak. If the entire sensor just fell off, or fell apart, the original Schrader valve would take over again, just as it does in a stock situation. (Those valve-stem caps are really there just to keep dirt out, not as air sealers.)

Keep in mind with the FOBOs that there's an O-ring around the outside, as the sensor cap meets the bottom of the unit. This is just there to keep the dirt and water out of the guts of the unit. That is, this O-ring is NOT there for keeping air in. You can unscrew this big cap -- for replacing a battery, for instance, and no air is lost. But I guess the O-ring/cover combination could probably serve as a sort of backup system.

Beads and Cores:

Back in 2012 or 2013, when I had my first tire changes on the XCT, at an actual Victory dealer, I had balance beads put in the tire. The service manager told me he used them in his own XC. He also told me that they replaced the valve-stem cores with some special ones that have some mechanism to prevent beads' clogging up the core. I never really looked at one of these cores on the inside, so I don't know whether that's a smaller opening, or some sort of screen, or complete BS.

In any case, if you have beads now, and can add air normally, and check the pressure normally, I don't see why putting sensors on, externally, would alter this situation any.

Balance:

Me, I switched to Centramatics ( Wheel Balancer MV100-106 from Centramatic ) for the last two years on the XCT.

They're a little costly (but less than, say, new pipes). And they might theoretically affect the suspension, adding a bit of unsprung weight (but the Vic wheels are so heavy to begin with that I'd call that negligible). The good news is that they work great, and this permanently dispenses with beads (and any special valve cores).

For the Burgman (no beads or Centramatics, and smaller and lighter wheels), I waited until a tire change in the spring of 2017. At that time, I had the shop not only replace the tires, but balance the wheels, with the tires and new valves stems (more in a second) and sensors on them.

Valve Stems:

For anyone going with external sensors, I recommend getting FOBO's T-valves (or equivalent, somewhere else, I suppose). See https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS .

This allows you to leave the sensor on when you do need to add air. That in turn means you don't have to mess with the little security-ish locknut (if you choose to use it -- I do). Also, the batteries will last a bit longer (as FOBO notes that unscrewing a sensor, and then screwing it back on, uses a little more juice than just leaving it alone).

Internal Battery Life?:

If you do find the right curvature or otherwise get internal sensors mounted, I'd worry about the battery life. I know that sensors in cars have batteries that seem to last forever, but my experience with the (external) Doran sensors has left a bad taste in my mouth.

My point here is that unless you do your own tire changing, including dismounting and mounting, then this might be a negative side of internal sensors. I suppose you could just change the batteries whenever you change tires, in a proactive manner, and not have to worry about it.

Those are my thoughts. If you have any questions that I haven't covered and think I might be able to answer, let me know.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Wow Bill, what a dense coverage of the topic! I was not interested in TPMS but if I EVER want to look into it I definitely know who to ask - and now the info is part of the forum's knowledge-base. Thanks for being such a power-contributor.
Above Ground -- Priceless?

I really started investigating this in order not to have to get on the ground, to check the rear-tire pressure.

I mean, the front can be done with a shop stool (and if anyone's interested, I've had the Mychanic -- https://mychanic.com/products/sidekick-stool -- for over a year now, and it's the bee's knees). But the rear? With the saddlebags?

For someone who just turned 70, with three annual cortisone shots in one hip, and a fake one in my future, not having to get on the ground to check the pressure is possibly priceless.

(BTW, I'm the same nutjob who ran with the work done by @MTVic on adding an extension hose to the shock valve, and drilled a hole in the side cover. I'm sufficiently OCD, and my wife used to ride out back off and on, that I liked to change the shock pressure fairly often. See Adding an External Schrader Valve for the Air Shock on a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle

Retired, etc.

So TPMS is one of the few areas I have some experience in. And what else was I gonna do this morning?

Oh, yeah, snowblow ... but I was putting that off.

Just finished the first pass (and this was all green yesterday):

And it's still snowing.

In any case, thanks for the kind words.

·
12,984 Posts
I have been running beads now for over 8 or 9 years. Never once have I ever had a bead cause a leak. You half to remember tires are rubber and do leak on their own. On a vision you can't see the rear tire stem unless you lay on the ground 6 times. So I put a black line in the side of the rim now I can roll it around and only get on the floor once with a stool close by to help me get up.
O and my tires lose about two psi every three weeks weather I ride every day or not.
On a car those tire sensor should be change with every new tire. Just more money out the window

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Autos pretty much industry standard now is replace the TPMS when mounting new tires. Some shops will make you. Battery life is about 3 maybe 4yr expectancy for them. OEM a little longer than chinesium replacements.
Thanks for all the info and ideas/input. Only problem I had with leakage is with the standard tire valve cores getting a grain or two caught in the core when checking. The valve core you speak of has a "filter" essentially a screen over the end to prevent said grains from getting into the valve. I have a bunch of them, problem is I have only found them in the long version and my fittings on the bike take the shorter ones. The more I research this the more I think I would also go with the T fitting.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Autos pretty much industry standard now is replace the TPMS when mounting new tires. Some shops will make you. Battery life is about 3 maybe 4yr expectancy for them. OEM a little longer than chinesium replacements.
I didn't know that, and never noticed it, if a shop charged me for it. No wonder the ones on my Camry have "lasted" nine years ... yep, there have been several tire replacements in its 150,000+ miles.

(I have snow tires on their own wheels which, even at my advanced age, I switchover myself, according to the season. I checked the box at Tire Rack a few years back that said: Don't worry about it, I'll get the TPMS sensors added locally, or something like that. I don't want to discuss publicly how I actually handled that.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts