Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my bike up to a local bike hangout Sunday evening and as usual had people wondering what kind of bike I was on, even two XC guys had never seen a XR. This got me wondering about future part availability for those few XR specific optional and standard parts. Got on Victory homepage and saw they were selling XR windshields for half off but most other parts were still on there. Makes me wonder if I should buy an extra of everything I have just in case (short windshield, heated grips, tach bracket, etc.) The windshield is the biggest worry but I think Cee Baileys still makes them for the XR.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There are a few places that offer windshields. I'm currently looking for a different one myself. The mounting bracket would probably be my biggest concern going forward but thinking about it, if something happens that takes out the shield and bracket the bike would have probably taken a good hit and be toast.
JMO

·
Registered
436 Posts
There are few parts that are not also on Cross bikes. If you want to add a tach - do it now they are not going to be available/selling out now. I go a Cee Bailey XL wind shield and like it alot. It created the wind protection I wanted. You have to use the hard ware from the OEM shield. Pretty much everything else is the same on Xr and Xc bikes so parts should not be a problem...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have all the extras that were XR specific, I just hope Cee Bailey will continue to offer a XR windshield down the road. I am happy with my OEM shorty but crap happens and if I would need to replace it then I may be out of luck in the future. When I got my XR it was what I wanting at the time but figured I would be looking for something different at about the 5 year mark. I don't think that is going to happen, really love my XR and now plan to keep it for a very long time. I don't put as many miles as some on here (10k in 3.5 years) but I do ride it at least once a week unless the roads are covered in snow. I also ride no matter the weather and all that moisture is starting to show in the form of rusted nuts and bolts around the exhaust and other in between places.

·
Registered
216 Posts
7jrock makes a nice WS for our XRs.
Very happy with mine!
I even had a Gold wing vent installed in my custom 7jrock WS.
You use all your stock hardware for mounting.

·
13,003 Posts
when you see parts on close out you best buy NOW. Cause they will not replace them with a up grade design for the most part

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Being very pleased with my XR, I also plan to keep it a long time. But should something happen that it needs replacing, the Indian Springfield is my number one candidate to fill its spot in my garage. Sorry Victory, ya snooze, ya loose.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would probably lean towards the Indian myself but the trouble I have is that I am long legged (34" inseam) and the Indians are just too cramped for me. The biggest selling point for me on the Cross bikes was the size and leg room. I test drove everything Indian offers and they felt just like a HD in how I fit on them, too small. I actually enjoyed the Scout though, it had peg extensions on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being very pleased with my XR, I also plan to keep it a long time. But should something happen that it needs replacing, the Indian Springfield is my number one candidate to fill its spot in my garage. Sorry Victory, ya snooze, ya loose.
+1

99% sure a Springfield will be my next bike in a couple of years.

Obviously they didn't sell that well but it does seem odd to drop the XR so quickly, particularly when they still essentially make the same bike with the XC. Not everyone wants a screen/fairing.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
If that's true, guess I'll be moving to an Indian sooner than I thought. :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The XR definitely did not appeal to the majority of large displacement motorcycles. When I bought my XR in 2012 the closest dealer had two 2011's, one black and one red. Both stuck in the corner with an inch of dust on them but he had 6 or so 2012 XC's up front and shining. I could afford the XC but after test driving both the XR just appealed to me more and I really have no use for for a full fairing or music. I made a low ball offer on the red XR with the accessories I wanted ordered for it and 30 mins later we finally came to an agreement. I talked to a Vic/Indian mechanic on Sunday who told me my selling dealer still has the black 2011 XR, probably still stuck in that corner.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
looks like mine is heading north of me about 3o miles. if it
wasnt for the fact that wife is getting nervous at stop signs,
etc.,i would be keeping it .comfy, great fuel mileage, lots of
carrying room. and good looking, and you dot see a hundred
others just like yous parked together.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I guess you sold yours IRV? That may just leave me as one of the few active XR members here with a 2011 XR. Your are right about being different, I have only seen two other XR's in the wild in the 4 years I have been on mine. A classic model on the interstate near Knoxville and a black one at Devils Tower in WY.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I still have my 2012 xr butbut not working around Knoxville anymore I'm working in jasper now which is a nice 186 mile round trip ride

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to work around Jasper many years ago when I lived in Crossville. Makes me want to take the XR out that way one day.

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's a nice ride if u can handle some of the idiots going thru the ridge cut and the 24/75 split

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bummer and congrats that your bike sold Irv!

Pretty sure that leaves me as the only 2011 in crimson on the forum.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not many of the 2011 Crimson models around, I don't think they made to many 2011's in that color before they switched over to sunset red.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
If I was to move up to an ally frame tourer then the XR is the bike Id go for too, not into windshields and stereo, I got cars for that purpose

1 - 20 of 24 Posts