Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have added the Victory fairing to your Cross Roads I would like to know what speakers and amp you went with and how it sounds. I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject but some of the electronics talk can be a little over my head. Right now I am leaning toward the Kicker PS5250 speakers and the Kicker PX100.2 amp. I see others using different speakers, such as the Pioneer set Witchdoctor sells, just don't know if they are truly weatherproof.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Defiantly go for the JL Audio HX280/4 amp and run it bridged for 140wpc!
I would recome the Polk audio mm521 speakers for simplicity or the Polk mm5251 component set and surface mount the tweeter somewhere. That's exactly how I'm setting up my dads Cross Roads shortly.

I have the components from the same line and they are fantastic loud and clear!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Defiantly go for the JL Audio HX280/4 amp and run it bridged for 140wpc!
I would recome the Polk audio mm521 speakers for simplicity or the Polk mm5251 component set and surface mount the tweeter somewhere. That's exactly how I'm setting up my dads Cross Roads shortly.

I have the components from the same line and they are fantastic loud and clear!
Well, I took your advice and ordered the HX280/4 and MM521 speakers, along with a weatherproof aux input jack. I'm planning to hook it up bridged like you suggest, I'm expecting it to work fantastic. Updates to follow after its all installed.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Nice!!
Take pics of the install along the way please will make my job easier when I do my dads this winter.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning to take pictures as I do the install, hopefully can get to it over the next couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, took my fairing outer shell off tonight to install my amp and speakers and the amp is too big to fit under the fairing. Bummer. Not sure what direction to go now other than sell or return the amp and speakers and buy the Victory kit.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 2 days of frustration trying to get the Victory audio kit to work correctly I removed everything and took returned it for a refund. I then began working on installing my original components, the JL Audio amp and Polk speakers. I originally couldn't make the JL Audio amp fit but after some research, trial and error, I found a at to make it work. Tonight I made the mount for the amp, installed the speakers and will begin wiring on Thursday. I am excited to get this project done, I think it will sound so much better than the Victory kit. The Victory amp was about the size of.a pack of cigarettes, which makes me wonder how it could possibly put out much sound. Pictures f the install to come later in the week.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to finish up my amp and speaker install this week, and it sounds great. I am not audio techie by any stretch, so it took me a lot longer than I thought, partially because of RCA cable availability locally, had to order what I needed, which took several days. The Polk speakers mounted easily, but the amp was more of a challenge, as it is 4 times the size of the Victory amp in their audio kit. I used some 1/8" thick angle, 1"x2", made an additional bend on the correct angle, then used some 1/8" flat stock to mount the amp to. I was able to use the studs provided to mount the Victory amp, and it is very sturdy. I used a marine grade aux plug for the iPod and used a rocker switch to turn the amp on. Power for the amp was run directly from the battery, while the power and ground for the switch came from the heated grip plug in the headlight bucket. In order to easily remove the fairing I had to come up with a quick disconnect for the 8 gauge wires running from the battery, finally discovered plugs made for a winch. Not installed yet, as I needed to order them too, but will get them installed next week. All in all, not a bad project, even easier if you know audio systems and can fabricate a bracket. Learning how to do things for the first time, like adjusting the amp output voltage for peak efficiency, makes the job even more satisfying. Here are a few pics of the install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And another.