·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, wondering if anyone out there has had same issue
I recently got a 2012 CrossRoads LE.
I previously had a Vegas
I have been riding 20 yrs...
this new bike.. I find I get blown around on the highway a lot. - if its a windy day. I cannot read road signs due to vibration....
(all is good on a nice calm day)

this is a much heavier bike and I am not a light person (200lbs)
why do I get blown around so much?
is it the windshield?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
My 2010 XR has the factory lowers and now sports a 7Jurock Flip medium height windshield. Even with the stock w/s I didn't get blown around like you describe. Are you able to see OVER your w/s? Are your tires pumped up to 40 front, 42 rear? It it racking straight when you take your hands off the bars? Are the steering head bearings loose? I upgraded my steering head to Allballs tapered rollers and that made the good handling even gooder.
Edit: The 7Jurock w/s is nicer than the OEM in that it raises the turbulence to well above my helmet's eyeport, even though it's low enough to see over. It also lacks those cutouts on the bottom sides, so my hands don't get as much wind in colder weather. For hot weather riding, I cut down the old OEM w/s as far as I could. Or if I'm not going onto highways, I ride w/o a w/s.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I get blown around too, but it's happened on pretty much all three full dressers (XCT, 2002 GoldWing, 1987 Suzuki Cavalcade) I've owned. Most likely due to the surface area of the fairing and other body panels, etc.

·
13,040 Posts
On my vision I would get blown around somewhat but behind a semi it was a nightmare. So I lowered the front end by 1 inch. It was like a hole new bike very stable behind a semi not great but a hole lot better. I have often wonder are our bikes to high off the ground do choppers get blown around

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes I look over windscreen, about an inch but I am over the screen
yes tires are good

no I haven't tried no hands! -- again a non windy / calm day things are pretty good

I did not get blown around like this on previous vegas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't get any wind on my hands, and don't have helmet pull. I wear full face
its the blown around, whole bike - that I am having trouble with.
calm days isn't an issue... but man -- I have a real hard time with any wind
and I never had issue on old bike,... so what if you have to ride sideways.. or have a little instability behind a truck
this bike.. I haven't mastered... and cannt figure out why

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
hi, wondering if anyone out there has had same issue
I recently got a 2012 CrossRoads LE.
I previously had a Vegas
I have been riding 20 yrs...
this new bike.. I find I get blown around on the highway a lot. - if its a windy day. I cannot read road signs due to vibration....
(all is good on a nice calm day)

this is a much heavier bike and I am not a light person (200lbs)
why do I get blown around so much?
is it the windshield?
No, not on my Vegas, I dont have a windshield but... the wind is part of riding.
In the Wind.
Crossing big bridges on a windy day or in the vortex of a big truck are the only times. Theres been the odd day when its been really windy and Ive felt it pushing on the side of the bike at a stoplight or just plain blown the bike around on the road.
Do you live in a particularly windy part of the world?
If so you could consider moving.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
+1 on the surface area. Just more stuff to get caught by the wind.I was out the other day and hit a head wind, it was tuff to make 70 mph. Really could feel the wind bucking. My RSV Yamaha and my old GS 1100 dresser same thing. The GS I rode out in Oklahoma and Texas, and wind we get here in Fla aint nuttin like them winds out there.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Aerodynamically, motorcycles stink! Somemay stink less than others, but a vertical vehicle fight the air, no matter the type. There are some things one can add that help, but it's akin to putting a bandage on a broken leg.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My XR is my third bike and I actually think it is less effected by the wind than my 2 previous lighter and less surface area bikes. I think it is something you are just going to have to get used to. Have you tried riding your bike without the windshield and seeing how it does? I run the oem shorty on mine (comes up to my chin) so maybe I catch less wind than those running the regular or tall screen.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't get any wind on my hands, and don't have helmet pull. I wear full face
its the blown around, whole bike - that I am having trouble with.
calm days isn't an issue... but man -- I have a real hard time with any wind
and I never had issue on old bike,... so what if you have to ride sideways.. or have a little instability behind a truck
this bike.. I haven't mastered... and cannt figure out why
I don't get wind on hands, there's lots of calm space across the tank, wshield is perfect height and i can feel the wind starts just above my head. The only wind that concerns me are crosswind gusts. Wind that blows directly at me is what it is. The greatest air hitting the bike is probably dead on the fairing. Face it, a batwing fairing is a large target. I notice the wind comes around the edge of the batwing to the edges of the tank and lower. But thats a good thing to help keep the engine cooler.

In regards to those crosswinds, made worse by a big truck heading my way in left lane, i veer a bit left once the tractor has just passed so I don't freak him out. Just a veer left for split second keeps that trailer gust from broadsiding me. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't get wind on hands, there's lots of calm space across the tank, wshield is perfect height and i can feel the wind starts just above my head. .
think the important difference here is the difference between the police style windshield on the CrossRoads versus the fairing mounted on the Vision/CrossCountry/Magnum. because I can tell you when the temps get down low, my hands are the first things to go numb on my CrossRoads. 90% of my riding is highways at 75+ back and forth to work and I can say that the XR gets blown around a bit when the winds are higher..... occasionally if i riding close to the dashed line on the highway and pass a truck i will feel the draft pull me closer to the truck but that is easily remedied by staying closer to the fog line. I had the lowers on my bike for a riding season but sold them the next season because I don't really feel like they did much. I also ride with a full face and believe i have the taller of the 3 factory windshields for the XR so I am looking above it and i get some buffetting but not too horrible, about as much as when i was riding on a sportbike and wasn't tucked behind the windshield.
are you sure that all your bolts on the windshield are tight? i had a couple loosen up late last season and the windshield vibrated like crazy. some blue locktite and i was back to normal riding.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just a veer left for split second keeps that trailer gust from broadsiding me. Works like a charm.
Hmmm, let me visualize this, the truck just passed you on the left and you veer TOWARD the left - into the coming wind blast? This minimizes the impact because you're closer to it's origins so it can't build as much momentum, or is it more like when you cut across a boat's wake it rocks less?

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
MonsterMash....I experienced both the factory w/s and the 7Jurock Flip and the difference is very noticeable, especially on the hands in cold weather. The 7Jurock does not have those lower cutouts that the OEMs do. Mine is the same height and width and the original, so its a fair comparison.
After installing tapered roller bearings in the steering head, I adjusted them to have a little drag and that made the bike less sensitive to inputs, even wind. Handling feels better too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Agree with the above, the surface area of the larger bike is the cause not just the windshield but the entire bike is bigger. The Vision and the CCT do offer better wind protection for the driver but the trade off is the bike takes the brunt of the wind instead of you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anyway, whenever people mention buffeting my response is always to recommend some kind of LOWER wind deflectors to keep some of the wind from hitting your shins and traveling straight up your legs to the chin where it wants to rip off your glasses and helmet. Fork mounted lowers look nice on a Cross Roads and I love my clear lexan fillers in the forged bars of my Cross Country, which do a similar job. I've heard that the removable vinyl ones that go over the stock tubular crash bars do the same good job too. Whatever look you prefer, my buffeting solution always includes lowers, might work for you too.

·
Registered
533 Posts
MonsterMash....I experienced both the factory w/s and the 7Jurock Flip and the difference is very noticeable, especially on the hands in cold weather. The 7Jurock does not have those lower cutouts that the OEMs do. Mine is the same height and width and the original, so its a fair comparison.
After installing tapered roller bearings in the steering head, I adjusted them to have a little drag and that made the bike less sensitive to inputs, even wind. Handling feels better too.
ah no worries Ricz. there were a couple comments about the wind from the Cross Country folk and i don't think that can be a fair comparision considering our windshields on the XR is more like a barn door when compared to the aerodynamic shape of the XC/Magnum fairing. I have been considering getting the 7Jurock shield but it doesn't seem that you can get the flip anymore, just the standard rounded shield. I haven't gotten a straight answer if its still available for the XR's but from the pull down choices it isn't... i don't know if it was the cutouts in the shield or not, but i know that the factory lower deflectors i installed on the forks had no effect on the wind to my hands, regardless of where i mounted them on the forks. i ended up installing some units from National Cycle that do a decent job of keeping the wind off my hands in the cold...

as for the lowers, I have the round tube lowers, not the awesome forged bars, but I do have the factory closeouts.. when I use those in the cold, my bike seems more apt to be affected by wind, specially blowing perpendicular to my travels - there have been several times where it feels like the bike is was gonna wash out from under me, but that was extremely heavy winds that relocate anything not anchored down with concrete.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
I bought my XR with the factory lowers. Took them off the first summer thinking the air on my legs would be appreciated. Put them right back on. The wind at highway speeds would lift my feet off the boards! I'm not uncomfortable with them on, even in hot weather, so they are permanent.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just a veer left for split second keeps that trailer gust from broadsiding me. Works like a charm.
Hmmm, let me visualize this, the truck just passed you on the left and you veer TOWARD the left - into the coming wind blast? This minimizes the impact because you're closer to it's origins so it can't build as much momentum, or is it more like when you cut across a boat's wake it rocks less?
Exactly. I veer just as the tractor passes me. I think I cut into the wind blast. Like a boat steering into a wave so it doesn't get broadsided. I bet I don't veer more than a 1/4 or half second. I did it like 40 times coming back from my 10 hr road trip whenever a semi, motorhome or truck and trailer passed me. Just popped into my head..kept doing it with great results. It seemed to ease some of the wind buffet as they passed. Hell, a Super B rig on a windy day could slap me 2 feet across the road so I had to figure out something!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmmmm

I get blown around on both my Vision and my Highball. Sort of like a NASCAR deal where I look for clean air. Interesting idea visionjohnny has lowering an all. Might have to give that a try but mostly I try to stay away from cagers and trucks. Had the same problem on past bikes with windscreens but never tried to solve it. LMYR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts